A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curious about you (Off Topic)

well... little bit about me...hmmmm. ok i'm 16 years old, junior at the worst high school in America. currently i am unemployed and trying to find a job somewhere, unfortunately most computer companies don't hire 16 year olds to do their dirty work for them . but anyways i am experienced in web design where i have won 6 site of the day awards over the course of the last 2 years. my primary computer skill is hardware implementation. i build high-performance computer systems (like my current one hehehe...if you really wanna know i guess i can tell ya'll). last year i was a computer tech intern at my high school until the teacher screwed us and decided not to pay us... grrr. anyways that's my life story...and the one part, yet the best i have left out... i have a beautiful girlfriend who cares about me and i do the same for her.

*please excuse my crappy english skills today... it's hard typing alot when the tips of your fingertips are burnt...*

Originally posted by Evan Floyd
    To Marilyn026,
    I'd like to say, Good on You!. It really gives me a lift to read about people giving it a go. I too went to uni as a fulltime mature age student. I graduated last year and am now 35, while an undergraduate I started with 1 child, had another and was paying off a mortgage. It's not easy and at times the stress was pretty? unbearable. There were times when I wondered what the heck I was doing. (I have a very supportive wife)
    But it is all worth it in the long term! My income increased 6 fold on my first job, my lifestyle improve amazingly and I now dictate my own play hours.(I regard multimedia as playing not working) I'm gonna make damn sure that I send my kids through higher education..it certainly is the ticket to an easier lifestyle! I guess I look at it as the civilians version of WestPoint (not that I'm a Gentleman LOL)
    Evan
    [swf width="300" height="40" background="#000000"]http://www.lm.net.au/~trevor/evan15kb.swf[/swf]

AMEN!

Yep, Evan it sure is the route to an "easier" life - just wonder why, in my case, I had to find it out the hard way ahaahahah.

I wish you and your wonderful family well!

Best regards...
    Stormfront.

Hi everyone. Great to find out who everyone is. I’m a woman, my name is Dawn,…never give my age out on the internet; but won’t sell myself as a 24 year old lingerie model (hope someone from the US gets this). I live in the Boston area, have a wonderful son. Studied philosophy, worked as an interior designer, but worked mostly as a sales rep until about 10 years ago when as a single mom of a small child, I decided to get into the antique business which is what I have been doing for the most part since. As the antique business has changed (because of the internet and ebay) decided about a year ago that I would learn a little HTML in order to sell on ebay…loved the idea of being a website designer so have been teaching myself how to make websites since. Have created 2 to date, and spending 30 hours a day lately (like you STARDWARF) to make my own site entirely in Swish.
    Everyone here has been the best!!! This is the only site I have ever really posted at…the first week or two just read the posts. I remember the one you did Jer about your daughter….and Celery Heart’s about his family…back then, that’s when I felt comfortable enough to post myself. Thanks!
    About the site I’ve been working on lately…have wanted to post it for comments and help, but some of the buttons stick, the intro seems to freeze at points, only some of the links work, etc. so haven’t had the guts. In reality…there are some good points…lightning effects, loading multiple movies (10 separate swf’s over the main one), etc that I would like to post the swi's for at some point…but have been too busy lately to even make them up.

So here’s the post. http://angelcities.com/members/dbdflash/

No real front page, sick of the intro, tried to copy every cool site’s (it’s not me) interface, buttons stick, screwed up all the preloaders so you’d better have a fast connection, and all.

Best wishes everyone.

I like it!!!
    Yes, intro runs very slow at times, on 333Mhz(~400)
    What a great idea of having control panel(different BG, sounds)

Retired *********

I'm 15...

I'm 15 years of age and live in Seattle Washington. I do frelance flash work, and attend Lake Washington High School.
    Graham

dbd...now that's DEFINITELY the coolest movie i have seen all day. wow, very, very nice work, you're good at what you do!

Question to all the younger ones (like myself) that post here... what do you plan on doing after high school?
    [Edited by Pretender84 on 09-10-2000 at 11:40 PM]

Hey Dawn...really enjoyed your approach & that control
    panel thing. Great questions you asked. One suggestion:
    it was difficult to read the light grey text on the pop
    up file card kinda thing (which was MOST COOL :-) I'm
    viewing on a 1024x768 and think since you're in the US,
    you'll probably find more and more people having higher
    res monitors as they upgrade their systems :-)

Yeah...you have some nice things going on. Congrats!!!

Did I say light gray text? I think it was white against
    the gray background, but the font very, very small. As
    I was posting my previous reply, I had your music playing
    in the background. When I went back to your page, then
    I saw the trippy other stuff on the control panel...and
    the ability to change the light/dark nature of the page.
    THAT IS COOL !!! Hope you're gonna post the .swi so we
    can dissect your Genius :-) Very innovative.

Here my two pennies worth.

just turned 40 years old , married, two lovely children, Samantha (12) and Tristan (10), live in th UK, work for an American petrochemical company in their visual aids dept, Love camping, reading, swimming, computers, used to run a BBS back in the good old days before the internet I'm trying to start up a business on the internet ( http://www.hazydays.co.uk )(640 x 480 mode is best)that gives out info on uk holidays and places to visit (help, critisms about the site more than welcome. Just getting into swish (a brill programme cos I couldn't hack Flash 4)

That's it. nothing to interesting
    [Edited by StevePH on 09-11-2000 at 07:55 AM]

SWiSH Forum
    FlaX FX Forum

Hi StevePH, I assume you mean SWiSH and not swift!

BTW have you viewed your site @ 1024x... Contact me by email if you wish.

Originally posted by almark
    Hi StevePH, I assume you mean SWiSH and not swift!

BTW have you viewed your site @ 1024x... Contact me by email if you wish.
    Hi Almark, yep you are right I meant Swish, I have corrected the post, I was thinking 'bout motorhomes at the time I know the page is a more than a bit wrong in 1024, I set it for 800, If you go down to the bottom of the page where the copyright is you'll find an underlined 'S' which is a link to my swish development pages that I'm playing with. I'm gonna try and do the whole site in swish.

Steveph

SWiSH Forum
    FlaX FX Forum

All SWiSH ?

You can do almost everthing in SWiSH, from menu systems, navigation, image slideshows, etc. However a more rounded approach might be better. Make the most of HTML, CSS, java, anigif's, forms, etc., to ensure that your audience get the information they need at a speed that works for them.

dbd

dbd,
    Great job. Very professional. A few questions and comments on ;your site.
    1. Is your site entirely Swish made? If it is outstanding job! The best Swish site I have seen.
    2. The folder image, on your movie, is that an image (jpg/gif) or just lines to give the look of a folder?

Load your Menu movies on 'Onpress' to the same Level. They are overlapping each other. In this manner, they will Unload each other.

Originally posted by dbd
    Hi everyone. Great to find out who everyone is. I’m a woman, my name is Dawn,…never give my age out on the internet; but won’t sell myself as a 24 year old lingerie model (hope someone from the US gets this). I live in the Boston area, have a wonderful son. Studied philosophy, worked as an interior designer, but worked mostly as a sales rep until about 10 years ago when as a single mom of a small child, I decided to get into the antique business which is what I have been doing for the most part since. As the antique business has changed (because of the internet and ebay) decided about a year ago that I would learn a little HTML in order to sell on ebay…loved the idea of being a website designer so have been teaching myself how to make websites since. Have created 2 to date, and spending 30 hours a day lately (like you STARDWARF) to make my own site entirely in Swish.
    Everyone here has been the best!!! This is the only site I have ever really posted at…the first week or two just read the posts. I remember the one you did Jer about your daughter….and Celery Heart’s about his family…back then, that’s when I felt comfortable enough to post myself. Thanks!
    About the site I’ve been working on lately…have wanted to post it for comments and help, but some of the buttons stick, the intro seems to freeze at points, only some of the links work, etc. so haven’t had the guts. In reality…there are some good points…lightning effects, loading multiple movies (10 separate swf’s over the main one), etc that I would like to post the swi's for at some point…but have been too busy lately to even make them up.

So here’s the post. http://angelcities.com/members/dbdflash/

No real front page, sick of the intro, tried to copy every cool site’s (it’s not me) interface, buttons stick, screwed up all the preloaders so you’d better have a fast connection, and all.

Best wishes everyone.

Dear Dawn

Hi... I am writing this for 2 reasons...

..1.. Because you NOT a lingerie model, and
    ..2.. I wanted to tell you that your site was one of the most visually pleasing ones I have ever seen.

Do keep up the great work!

Best regards and good luck.
    Stormfront.

Well, I finally looked at this thread, so I guess I'll add my 2 cents to it:

32 year old male in Houston, Texas. Just got married this year (on leap day!) and have been trying to enjoy the good life. I am employed full time as a Private Investigator (but I don't do 'domestics' (divorce, cheating spouses, etc) if I can help it), and run a little side company (Steelsun & Associates) that does web work for some local non-profits and other PI's.

I've been on the net for about 8 years (back when you needed a school or military account to get on, unless you had big bucks) and prior to that was a BBSer for about 5 years.

Steelsun

I just turned 15 in august, i'm male, and livin in St. Louis, MO. Well I haven't really been around for too many, so I guess I have no choice but to make it brief.

I've been computers ever since we got a commedor (VERY old computer, not sure on spelling though). I'd been interested in learning about creating the web and not just looking at it so I started learning html over the summer, switched to javascript, dhtml, C++ and then i found Swish about 2 weeks ago. Now i'm learning swish and on the side i'm learning photoshop and graphics.

-Light It Up

[Edited by Light It Up on 09-17-2000 at 12:52 AM]

Ivanopoulo, Pretender 84, Flash 777, Velez, and Stormfront: a big thank you to all of you for your encouragement. After having spent so many hours working on this, was getting pretty sick of it, and was about to change most of it just hours before posting here. The intro needs so much work…but God if I see it one more time this week… think I'll be sick.

Ivanopulo: not sure if the intro is running slow because of the effects or because the preloader starts it before enough of it has downloaded.

Pretender 84: That a "kid" like you thinks it's cool makes me feel younger!

Flash 777: Thanks for the tip on the resolution, will check at higher resolution before doing much with these. No genius just a lot of inspiration from all of you and tons of work. The control panel was the last thing added …it doesn't work that well (need to figure a better way to load the various tunes, etc.) and still experimental at this stage, but will definitely make up a .swi to post when it's more pulled together and I'm not so burnt out.

Velez: This is all Swish "The best program God… oops I mean David M. et al, put on this earth!!!" which by now with David M. back …had expected to be at v1.9beta 78 by now so that these file cards could be dragged around the screen…so what's up with him anyway??? Still don't know whether these should be stacked, unloaded first so that they can fade out, or whatever. May in the end do as you suggest and load all of these on the same level but don't know what it will look like when the second, third…loads. Will check it out.

Stormfront: Thank you so much, but I lied… I am one of those : ), just kidding!

Regards and best wishes to you all,
    Dawn

dbd

dbd:
    I can't believe the work you have done with this movie. If you need help with your site I would be more than glad to help you.
    Email me if you would like me to help: im@joevelez.com

Originally posted by Jerry T
    I know this is Off Topic, but I thought it might be interesting to get a little info on some of the regular posters here. Like what you do for a living and such.

I am married and have a 7 month old baby girl. Live in Indiana and work in a factory. 36 years old. I play on the web just as a creative outlet, but would love to find something online where I could get paid to do this stuff. Ok enough about me what about you? ~Jer~
    __________________________________________________ __________

Hi All..can i post too ?
    I am 22 from Jakarta, Indonesia. Still single, a university student, majoring in Mechanical Engineering, running my own cyber-cafe (small, only 8 PC's) as my other income. Found out about swish several months ago, and bingo...Love it.

Re: dbd

I guess it's my turn. I'm a graduate of USMA, spent 10 years active duty (Army in case you didn't know).

Right now, I run a VERY small company that helps non-profits, political campaigns, and socially conscious businesses online (web pages, list servers, email etc... the works). The non-profits usually don't pay much. That's why I'm always broke. Except for THIS year. Being an election year I'm rolling in the cash!

I live in Ft. lauderdale, Florida.