A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: //Photo Manip Contest // Whose the best?

Originally posted by mg33
    chewman,

thanks. it's always cool to look at things that leave you totally guessing, trying to figure out how you'd do something. honestly, as I've said before, the only thing I really use is the gaussian blur filter, motion blur, occasionally the plastic wrap filter if I'm going for a bit of a 3d look or to make something look organic. other than that I pretty much stick layer settings, transforming objects/shapes, occasionally the liquify tool (fun, it's hard to use it without it being obvious) and other things are more or less working with the interaction between layers, pretty much in a collage sense. The curves settings, things like that, I've used them, but they're not really things I use consistently. I'd actually say that 95%of the way I look at working with a photo deals with using multiple layers and how I can find an interaction between them when adjustments are made to each one.

that image I posted on the first page of this thread? I think there's 14 layers there of pretty much the same image.

anyhow, just my thoughts at the moment.

mg33
    no worries mate. A very 'wise' friend once told me, "you can never get enough blur in your images. I took his comments to heart and now in almost every single image I create/manipulate etc...there is usually some element of blur in there. May it be guassian, motion, or radial...I use them and they're fantastic. I aslo like to use layers and channels quite a bit. Another of my fav tools are the pixelisation thingy-ma-jig, curves and the hue/saturation. The free-transform and perspective tools are also useful.
    It's always good to look at other ppls work, to shread it to pieces trying to replicate or understand anyway...how they did it. fascinating sometimes. I like you're work too...you have this weird kinda effect on them...I remember the flower one that happened a while back. You manipulated that quite nicely...and you made it sound so simple in your explaination

l8r

aversion,

please, no.

next one: one image. no other images. no text. no insertion of created shapes whatsoever. use of obvious filters will be looked down upon, aka you get a virtual slap on the wrist if any of the following are blatantly obvious, or are the emphasized areas of the image:
    radial blur/zoom blur
    any distortion filter
    lens flares
    all sketch filters
    all texture filters
    most artistic filters

hope I'm not rasing the bar too high or anything. I've got a huge selection of photos to use as well, some that I've been hoping to shake up.

mg33
    I dunno mg, that is a little much don't ya think?

I mean, these are the design rules that you go by, the style you prefer...I think it's best if we let people do whatever they want...

I kinda like aversion's idea. sounds more interesting to me.

my 2 cents, either way i'll participate.

I got bored at work again, so I made another one...

jon that looks wicked man. i wish i could do some of the stuff u lot do, im a sucka for photoshop 6. any helpful directions for a ps6 newbie like me? anyone?

Originally posted by gurdas
    jon that looks wicked man. i wish i could do some of the stuff u lot do, im a sucka for photoshop 6. any helpful directions for a ps6 newbie like me? anyone?
    read the manual that came with it

don't read the manual, avoid the help files and all resource sites for Photoshop. Spend hours upon hours upon hours figuring it out, finding new methods of doing things, experimenting, and even doing things for 8 hours straight and not even saving the files.

I guess there are several ways to learn it.

mg33

I dont understand your photo jon.

It has nothing to do with the picture, and is just arbitrarily manipulated..

Originally posted by killabry

that's a little harsh bry, I think it's very nice. Who said it had to do anything with the picture anyway?

Originally posted by Sem
    Originally posted by aversion
    software? - photoshop.

Erm. Would PSP 7 work? It is a less robust (ahem.. inferior?) spin-off of PS, or so I hear. I don't have PS yet.

Sem
    I use PSP7, not ashamed of it either.

I have PS also, and I use it for somethings but to perfectly honest I prefer PSP most of the time. 7 tho, not 6.

don't read the manual, avoid the help files and all resource sites for Photoshop. Spend hours upon hours upon hours figuring it out, finding new methods of doing things, experimenting, and even doing things for 8 hours straight and not even saving the files.

I guess there are several ways to learn it.

mg33
    true...but you've also gotta know what some of the stuff are. And one of the ways is to read the manual. tutorials teach your stuff, but as you said...'spend hours upon hours upon hours figuring it out, finding new methods of doing things, experimenting, and even doing things for 8 hours straight and not even saving the files.'

I did that once by accident...not saving a file I mean, and it taught me how to do what I did again. I became better at it too.

that is harsh mate! When you look at a Picasso painting (hypothetically speaking) do you say...I don't understand it, it's crap...and go away? Some do, but that's the whole point...though you may not understand it, to the artist, and others its a work of art.
    'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'

Originally posted by squink
    Originally posted by Sem
    Originally posted by aversion
    software? - photoshop.

Erm. Would PSP 7 work? It is a less robust (ahem.. inferior?) spin-off of PS, or so I hear. I don't have PS yet.

Sem
    I use PSP7, not ashamed of it either.

I have PS also, and I use it for somethings but to perfectly honest I prefer PSP most of the time. 7 tho, not 6.

whatever tool you're most comfortable with is going to be the best tool to use right now.

i'm sure that it's good to challenge yourself with a tool you feel uncomfortable with but PS isn't some mythical beast, PSP7 was just as highly rated by computer arts magazine for a long time, do you have a lot of the plugins squink?

i use xara x, a vector program, for this stuff sometimes, but PS most of the time, whatever the best tool for the job

have to disagree with you there dude, technically it's the best one here and you can just see that the way it's put together.. there's nothing arbitrary about it.

i think i've made it clear that i like creativity with a point rather than just for the sake of technique, an image which uses one common effect can be better than one that uses a deeper technique, it just depends on what is being expressed and how.

i like this image better than any other in this thread, i think it shows a command of technique and creativity. It probably breaks your rules bry and doesn't at first look seem to have much to do with the picture but what can you do

Gurdas,
    Thanks for the compliment. The biggest pointer I can give you is to not be afraid of using LOTS of layers...and always play around with the blend modes. Also, study what other people are doing. I spend a lot of time surfing the web, picking up books, reading magazines, and experimenting...trying to figure out how people achieved certain effects. Every now and then I stumble onto something that just works and I end up creating something like I did yesterday.

Killabry,
    Sorry you don't understand it...but hey, it's just art. I did exactly what we were supposed to do...take the picture and make it look "better" without using other pictures. What do you mean it has nothing to do with the original picture? Your pic is there...on quite a few layers. I tweaked it with curves, overlaid a copy to brighten it up some, did another duplicate with a filter on it, then put another original on top to pull some detail back out, added a color adjustment layer, then piled about 20 layers of dirty grungy stuff on top. How is it any different than the pics other people did? You didn't say we couldn't use filters...and you didn't say we had to do it all in 3 layers. I had a certain look that I was going for...trying to duplicate a style I had seen yesterday...and yeah, it's different, but I'm happy with it.

raising hell to the next level

ok folks, the show is over. who will take the honor of posting a thread in CL? i am excited to take the championship home

next comp. i am with aversion's idea. if we have too much restirctions. it won't do any good other than fading intrest in it. just like this one. which is total disappointment

FK Resident Amazon

mg33 ... sometimes its harder to make an obviously filtered image appealing than it is to make an image appealing avoiding filters... i think we should let people do what they want too... some of the best designs come down the least expected paths (some of the worst too but hey the fun is in experimenting if you ask me)

as for rules, my vote is for anything goes... maybe use only one additional image (and be able to prove it if necessary) ? text OK shapes OK filters OK...

a theme for each pic would be fun too.

my .02 ...

Originally posted by marcus_from_hell
    ok folks, the show is over. who will take the honor of posting a thread in CL? i am excited to take the championship home

next comp. i am with aversion's idea. if we have too much restirctions. it won't do any good other than fading intrest in it. just like this one. which is total disappointment

i'll post it up in the CL when we're done, i'll stick all the images on my server and link to them.

killabry said nov 7th for the deadline though, but i would like to go now, unless anyone has an image pending?

Originally posted by Chelle2008

a theme for each pic would be fun too.

my .02 ...
    i definitely think there should be a theme, something for people to try and express in their image. I really like that idea..

Jon, I wasn't trying to be harsh, just trying to start a little design debate

Aversion, post it november 7th, We gotta obey the deadline.

Marcus, You say the competition was a total dissapointment and that all we could do is colorize, but i want you to look at MG33's submission and say there were to many restrictions.

With enough talent, you can make it nice, but aversion will run the next one, so whatever rules he chooses goes.