A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok.. HOW do I make THESE?

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Are there any tutorials that can provide insight how to create the flowing colors and shapes used in these backgrounds??

I know they are 3D studio type stuff.. or is it?

http://chapter3.net/

Then click on desktop.

All I can say is W O W

Go to a bookstore that has the New Masters of Photoshop book, there are two chapters, I think, that explain how that sort of look is achieved. To put it bluntly, it doesn't happen overnight.

However, which graphic are you refering to? The page titled Desktop Emporium? That's not all that complicated of an image, well, at least not as complicated as the grapics on the chapter3 page.

mg33

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Originally posted by mg33

However, which graphic are you refering to? The
    I am referring to the futuristic looking background of dazzling shapes and colors.

Originally posted by mg33
    which graphic are you refering to? The page titled Desktop Emporium? That's not all that complicated of an image
    Uhhh....I get a headache trying to even think of how I would even begin to create that graphic. But hey...if you need anything motion blurred for ya, I'm your man!

- Matt

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Thanks.. I know how to do that much..

It's actually really easy. Open up your 3D program. If you don't have one, try Strata3D (http://www.strata3d.com/). Their base version is totally FREE and will do everything you need. They have fairly decent documentation online if their interface is a little confusing. It's really easy to learn because you only need a couple tools - the vector shape, the extrude tool, and maybe the lathe tool.

Anyway, crank up the 3D app, draw a vector shape, then extrude it. Grab it, move it, resize it, rotate it. Then do another. And another. And another. Then you can start grouping things and cutting and pasting big chunks of 3D stuff. Don't even worry about the colors...just leave it gray. Just keep building until you've got a big pile of 3D junk. I usually tend to have all the stuff coming out of one central point. Whenever you're happy with it, render it out as a JPG and you're in business. Then just pull it into Photoshop and start adding some colors, blurs, scanlines, little microscopic text, boxes, etc.

Hope that makes sense. It's so much easier than it looks...especially after you see someone break down how it's done. If you need some help, feel free to email me -- jtnorris@earthlink.net

Jon

i have a few questions, when u say render it out as a jpg do u mean, save as a jpg?
    and when u talk about having it all come from a central point, do u mean an explosion, like ive heard theres some kind of exploded technigue?

and mg33, is masters of photoshop worth buying?

james

Yes...just save it as a JPG. If you're using Strata3D, you can render it from the menu or use the little camera icon. It will generate the image in a new window. Just save it as JPG...or any other format you want.

Some 3D apps will do actual explosions of objects...but that feature isn't available in the free software I'm using. I usually just pick a point and arrange all the 3D objects so they look like they are all coming toward me from there. Just think back to when you did those really simple 3D drawings in art class in elementary school when they were teaching you about vanishing points. You're just trying to get one vanishing point and end up with really exaggerated perspective. http://desktop.chapter3.net/ is a pretty good example of what I mean. Notice how all the 3D pieces appear to be coming out of a point just to the left of the words "Desktop Imperium".

I want to throw in my recommendation for "New Masters of Photoshop" too. It's a really great book for learning how all the digital art you see is done. I always learn best by seeing how effects are built up...so it's one of the best books I've picked up. I really think all the books by http://www.friendsofed.com/ are great. If you like the "New Masters of Photoshop" book, be sure to check out their two "New Masters of Flash" books too. Also, I always get a lot out of ComputerArts magazine (http://www.computerarts.co.uk/). It's a little pricy (about $15 an issue in the US), but it's probably the best digital art magazine out there. They are really great about covering a whole range of things from Photoshop to Flash, web design, digital video, 3D...anything you can think of. Be sure to take a look next time you're in the bookstore.

Jon

Originally posted by jon_norris

I want to throw in my recommendation for "New Masters of Photoshop" too. It's a really great book for learning how all the digital art you see is done. I always learn best by seeing how effects are built up...so it's one of the best books I've picked up. I really think all the books by http://www.friendsofed.com/ are great. If you like the "New Masters of Photoshop" book, be sure to check out their two "New Masters of Flash" books too. Also, I always get a lot out of ComputerArts magazine (http://www.computerarts.co.uk/). It's a little pricy (about $15 an issue in the US), but it's probably the best digital art magazine out there. They are really great about covering a whole range of things from Photoshop to Flash, web design, digital video, 3D...anything you can think of. Be sure to take a look next time you're in the bookstore.

Jon
    yeah friends of ed rock, they seem to be able to bring the best people together on these books, it's always easy to read and learn from their stuff.

as for these complex 3d desktop type things, technical skills are only half the story, you gotta be able to bring all this "3d junk" together in an aesthetic manner.... the guys at chapter3 really know what they're doing

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Any idea how to do that in 3DSmax??

Also, I dont see anything indicating a free trial. Do you happen to have a link?

Thanks.

here's a tutorial that might help you:

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutori...l.asp?id=28883

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Mega - thanks!!

you're welcome!

if you create some stunning graphics, please post some, i'd like to learn that, too ...

Originally posted by Eyenovation

Also, I dont see anything indicating a free trial. Do you happen to have a link?

Thanks.
    http://www.strata.com/strataproducts...ase/index.html

for the trial

just a litle tip.
    render as a tiff format, that way, it preserve the alpha, so, when you open your image in photoshop you go to menu>select>load selection, and choose alpha 1, from the dropdown menu, that selects only your 3d object, not the background, and preserves transparency in case u used some in your 3d app, that way you dont have to be selecting with the magicwand all the time, you just copy that, and then paste it to your new document.

Originally posted by surfito
    just a litle tip.
    render as a tiff format, that way, it preserve the alpha, so, when you open your image in photoshop you go to menu>select>load selection, and choose alpha 1, from the dropdown menu, that selects only your 3d object, not the background, and preserves transparency in case u used some in your 3d app, that way you dont have to be selecting with the magicwand all the time, you just copy that, and then paste it to your new document.
    nice one, thanks

It should work about the same way in 3DSmax...but I don't have the $3k to spend on the software so I haven't really played around with it. Anyway, you SHOULD be able to do it in any 3D app. All the ones I've seen have a vector drawing tool, some type of extrusion tool, and the ability to move, scale, and rotate.

Also, the Strata3D free software is called Strata3D base. Some of the features are disabled and you get some annoying "encouragement" to upgrade...but I think the cheaper commercial version is only $199. No, it's not as powerful as 3DSmax but it does everything I want right now...and that's a pretty good price for a 3D app.

You may also want to check out Blender (http://www.blender.nl). It's free too, but last time I checked, they didn't have a Mac version so I haven't played with it.

You can save as a tiff with alpha support from most major 3d apps now...This is the only real way to import 3d objects into PS. Also remember to have the same lightning in the 3d programme if you have various objects, or else it will look weird when you put them together in Photoshop!
    As for the New Master of Photoshop book, I think it's one of the best PS books I've read!The tutorials don't rock that much, but the way the authors explain how they think during the process of making a picture, and their influences,that's cool! It also covers very different styles which I think is great!

Sjur-K.

whats the difference between saving something "save as" or rendering it out? i can do both, but whats the difference.

thanks

In Strata3D, if you do "Save As", you're just going to save the 3D model. That won't do you much good when you get to Photoshop. If you want some type of image format (TIF, JPG, etc) that you can edit in another graphics application, you're going to have to render it first and then save the final rendered image. Hope that makes sense...