A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC vs Mac

I currently design in Flash, Fireworks, Poser, 3ds max, and Bryce 4, all on a PC clone and have never used a Mac for design. I have someone close to me telling me everyone who's anyone in the graphics design world uses a Mac.

Is this fact of fiction? Can someone tell me the pro's and con's of Mac vs PC.

I have an opportunity to purchase a Mac G3 that's about 2.5 years old for about $150. Should I jump at this opportunity and start using the Mac, stick with what I already know, or use the Mac for certain things and the PC for others?

Mac users always swear by their macs, but Ive used both and I personnaly dont think it matters. If your a good designer, then your platform shouldnt matter.

Also, there are numerous threads on this same topic just so you know. You might want to do a search using flashkits search engine for these threads. You'll get some good info there.

question authority
    Just use what works for you...
    Mac users get all the hot babes though...
    m

Originally posted by monkii
    Just use what works for you...
    Mac users get all the hot babes though...
    m
    I heard Mac babes have mustaches and deep voices.

question authority
    you are obviously hangin with the wrong ones dude..

question authority

no mo's there...

caithness massiv
    wow... nice pic

maybe i should make the switch

--------

the computer is only a tool... so it's really a matter of which tool do you feel more comfortable using?

both will aide you in achieving the same result

ok, whoever told you this is pretty 'old skool'. by pretty, I mean...they're accurate, but they need to learn flexibility. The trend was that macs were THE only machine to design on. THough you could do it at home on a pc...inside the studios...it's all macs. G4's and what have you. Now however, there are more products that are coming out that are designed for pcs. Adobes entire range was originally meant for the mac...and so are still closely associated with it. However, they've developed their products and more of them for PC's because that's the current trend. THey can see that pc's are powerful, and if built up are capable of 'competing', so to speak with macs.
    As for it being fact or fiction...again I say...it's quite acurate...but the trend is that ppl are using pcs.
    Personally...I'd love to work on a Mac. The thing that is stopping me at the moment is
    1) they're way too pricey! For a top end PC, I'll probably just be getting an entry or mid level mac!
    2) I have no real need for it...yet anyway. When I start working in the design industry, I'll be getting one.
    3) The software that I've got just isn't compatible with it. Sure designing software is, but other stuff...no. And what I download, it's mainly for PCs. I'm sure there are converters.

anyway...as for purchasing that G3 for $150...well I'd grab it with both hands. At least for $150, you'll get a taste for it, and there you can decide whether or not to purchase a better one later down the track. Macs are a beauty to work on, fast and easy on the eyes too...just like that pic someone posted

I hope you realize that the mac girl is just a cartoon on paper. Unless of course you like makin' holes in paper? I dunno but...

Silicon Graphics makes some nice design computers.

Yea now that I think about it, 150 is a really good price for a G3. You might as well try it out.

one thing... if you go mac, say goodbye to 3D Studio MAX.

you could say hello to Pixels3D though...

FK Hardware Freak
    Emperor of Invincible Sand Castles

Originally posted by Visionray
    Yea now that I think about it, 150 is a really good price for a G3. You might as well try it out.
    Heck, go for it. Nothin to loose but $150.

Originally posted by OMEGA
    I hope you realize that the mac girl is just a cartoon on paper. Unless of course you like makin' holes in paper? I dunno but...
    omg! Some ppl call me sick...but you....you take the cake my friend!

As I've said before $150 is a damn good price for a computer that probably was once over 2 grand! 150 isn't that much in todays terms...and you get a taste of either what you like or hate.

Alien Bob
    My spaceship's currently in for it's service...

Orbiting the Earth just above Peterborough
    For that price I'd definately go for it. I made the switch over from PC's to Macs about a year ago and haven't looked back. So much more stable, no blue screens of death. Ok you do get the occasional lock up, but nothing like you get with windows.

question authority
    Originally posted by OMEGA
    You gotta get out more dude.

Originally posted by mabbacuda
    For that price I'd definately go for it. I made the switch over from PC's to Macs about a year ago and haven't looked back. So much more stable, no blue screens of death. Ok you do get the occasional lock up, but nothing like you get with windows.
    oh do remind me of how it is. I love hearing about it...not that I've got some kinda mac 'fetish' or anything. It's just that I got the chance to work on a G4 with dual 21" monitors last year in a recording studio. When I got home...I was sorely back to reality
    Remind me of how the macs are will you

question authority
    I also made the switch 12 months ago after 6 years on a pc. I needed to run protools and although you can run in on NT, a mac is the only serious option..
    The thing i like about macs is that they always 'feel' the same. You know when you install windows for the first time, it's absolutely rocking.. Windows open and shut super quick, right click on the desk top and your little sub menu is there straight away... then you install a few programs... remove a few.. whatever.. 3 months later it just isn't the same.. and six months later it's a little worse again... You dont get that on a mac. Thats what I like about em.. They do look pretty funky too
    m

I have used both and dont really mind which I work on. I may be biased towards pc because I am a qualified pc technician so can fix it if anything goes wrong... then again I have never seen anything go wrong on a mac (even I cant crash the thing!)

looks like my work here is done

$150 for a G3??? i'd jump at that price - put OS 10 on it and watch all your cares and worries go away

even i'd buy a G3 for $150 bucks ...wish i could find one of these for $150

SGI baby !!!!!