A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do/ did you get the "STRAP/CANE" at school ??

UNified
    Quote from SMH (Sydney Morning Herald) today

"DAMAGES APPEAL
    Strapped man stripped of $2.5m payout
    A man awarded more than $2.5 million earlier this year for being strapped at school 17 years ago was today stripped of his payout. The NSW Court of Appeal today ordered a new trial on how much Paul Hogan should get."

I'm still in school.

It's outlawed except in catholic schools with parental permission.

Corporal punishment =

I never had that pleasure in Australian primary & government schools!

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    it's outlawed almost everywhere now, thank god that little piece of barbarism has gone the way of other misguided things they did at schools in the past. When i first started, they even punished me for being left-handed and tried to re-train me.
    david p.

Originally posted by david petley
    it's outlawed almost everywhere now, thank god that little piece of barbarism has gone the way of other misguided things they did at schools in the past. When i first started, they even punished me for being left-handed and tried to re-train me.
    david p.
    Did you ever learn?

We all know that satan is left handed too.

How long ago was this?

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    hmm...no strap for me! yay! lol

cheers!

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Originally posted by killabry

Did you ever learn?

We all know that satan is left handed too.

How long ago was this?
    too long ago to tell you. I don't want to have to put up with another round of 'old fart' jokes.
    But as a hint, ballpoint pens were still a novelty and a tool for lazy writers (according to our teachers)

and no i never learnt.
    david p.

UNified
    And back in the "olden days" you used to get the strap for spilling the ink in your ink well!!!
    Now dont ask what an ink well is...

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    I had corporal punishment till the middle of high school. It was/still is a good thing. Detention doesn't work. At all.

When the system was suspended you could see the drop in discipline. Would you as junior in highschool even consider to tell a senior to go f*** himself after being asked to straighten his tie.

too long ago to tell you. I don't want to have to put up with another round of 'old fart' jokes.
    But as a hint, ballpoint pens were still a novelty and a tool for lazy writers (according to our teachers)

and no i never learnt.
    david p.
    I also heard that teachers would tie your left hand behind your back and make you write with your right.

If my research proves right, ball point pens were first sold in 1945.

Hmmm, from your last line, I'd say you when to school around the late 40s, but my money's on the 50s/60s.

I had to deal with punishment in school up until 10th grade... not a biggie. I never did anything bad.

pertaining the left hand/right hand issue, I guess I was a mystery to my teachers. I wrote right handed, drew left handed. and when I got to college, I freaked out my german teacher by writing english with my right hand, and german with my left hand at the same time.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Originally posted by ]v[orpheus

I also heard that teachers would tie your left hand behind your back and make you write with your right.
    If my research proves right, ball point pens were first sold in 1945.
    Hmmm, from your last line, I'd say you when to school around the late 40s, but my money's on the 50s/60s.
    they never tied my hand behind my back, just whacked me on the knuckles with a ruler.
    As for your guess....it wasn't the 40's (not even born then as much as others would have you believe otherwise) your money is safe.
    david p.

Señor member
    LOL David

In terms of punishment, I was never really in any trouble at school, I had a total of one days detention throughout my school life and no, the strap or caning was not permitted.

Did anyone see the Ali G episode where he interviewed Sir Rhodes Boyson..? <ali>you was caned in school..respect..</ali>

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Originally posted by jamble7000
    LOL David

In terms of punishment, I was never really in any trouble at school, I had a total of one days detention throughout my school life and no, the strap or caning was not permitted.

Did anyone see the Ali G episode where he interviewed Sir Rhodes Boyson..? <ali>you was caned in school..respect..</ali>
    no, but love d' Ali G. Not on here anymore but hopefully again soon.
    You must have been reeeeaaal good, I was always in trouble. Suspended twice.
    david p.

Señor member
    Originally posted by jamble7000
    LOL David

no, but love d' Ali G. Not on here anymore but hopefully again soon.
    You must have been reeeeaaal good, I was always in trouble. Suspended twice.
    david p.

LOL, I just kept my head down and got on with school, It kinda bored me to be honest so I didn't get involved in anything. I did get thrown off my A Level economics course with 3 months left to the exam but the teacher was a jackass and this just gave me more time to go bowling

hmm... it's normal during my elementary years down here in .my ..once i think, one kid got slapped too - crazy times. i doubt today's still like that though, too many lawyer parents i s'pose.

it's JUST NOT THE SAME when i get strapped NOWADAYS .....in bed. hit me baby one more time. heh.

Señor member
    Originally posted by avex

it's JUST NOT THE SAME when i get strapped NOWADAYS .....in bed. hit me baby one more time. heh.

LOL

No corporal punishment at the school I attended (the worst that would happen was a bit of pointed sarcasm), but discipline was not a problem -- it was all about respect. The staff made it clear that they wouldn't take any crap, and anyone who tried to test that assertion soon found themselves excluded from school. Repeat offenders were excluded permanently. There was almost no bullying, little in the way of conflict between teachers and pupils, and almost no alcohol or drug problems (two incidents in the six years I was there).

Some might say that this system 'failed' any person who was excluded. But you go to school to learn and if you're unable to fit into that regimen, then not only are you spoiling things for yourself but you're also potentially a disruptive influence on others.

I have to admit that at the time I found the school rules frustrating but with hindsight I realise that I got a far better education as a result.

FK Official Mechanic
    Trust your mechanic

We were too scared to do anything bad.
    A couple of my friends at school got the strap.....the teacher(Mr Christian) would lay 3 pieces of chalk across your palm and proceed to turn them to powder. Scary man.
    I was put on the "hot seat" a few times. It was outside the principals office and any teacher that felt like it could pay out on you.

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    Originally posted by Dolbadarn
    We were too scared to do anything bad.
    A couple of my friends at school got the strap.....the teacher(Mr Christian) would lay 3 pieces of chalk across your palm and proceed to turn them to powder. Scary man.
    I was put on the "hot seat" a few times. It was outside the principals office and any teacher that felt like it could pay out on you.
    We had a teacher that was 7 foot tall that used a broomstick. The marks would sit 4-6 weeks on your butt.