A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: "HOW TO" attach an action script to the "ESC" key

We're trying to attach an action script to the "ESC" key.
    We're trying to accomplish an exit from the movie, from within any scene/frame at any time.
    We want the application/movie to shut down and quit completely whenever the "ESC" key is pressed, we want to bypass going into the 'flashplayer' and just shutdown.
    Thanks in advance for everyones help.
    The B's.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

Couldn't you use a movieclip on the main timeline with an onClipEvent watching for KeyUp and just check the keycode for an ESC and then call fscommand("quit") when you see the ESC key? You'd need to use fscommand("trapallkeys", "true") to catch the escape key though.

If that doesn't cut it, someone else may have a solution that works. I'm okay with the ActionScript (hey, it's just code) it's the Flash stuff I haven't mastered yet

You can also do this in SWF Studio (www.northcode.com) without any scripting, just use the the "exit on ESC" checkbox (enabled by default).

I usually do this with a button. Make an invisible button and put it on a layer of the main timeline that is present during all the time you want the Escape to be available. Then set the button to keystroke <escape> and use fscommand "quit". It works on both Mac and Windows projectors.

*********** Jugglor does this automatically also

http://www.jugglor.com

Download an free evaluation copy and try it for yourself.