A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guitar Shopping

I met the guy who plays guitar for toyah wilcox and her husband, that famous bloke from the 70s and simpsons... at newark airport once, he invited me to his gig at the knitting factory, that was the first time I went there

If you're buying an acoustic, it doesn't have to be fancy, just make sure that it has a nice thick solid top that will age beautifully, warming the deep tone. Seagull make great 'economy' guitars which are well made and have a big slab of wood on top, they age really well and can be great for blues, though a bit bottomy for finger picking stuff.

I found taylor to be a good compromise for tone and spread, better than martin, which tends to sound more on the low end to me. I bought mine for less than $2k.

Originally posted by aversion
    I met the guy who plays guitar for toyah wilcox and her husband, that famous bloke from the 70s and simpsons... at newark airport once, he invited me to his gig at the knitting factory, that was the first time I went there

If you're buying an acoustic, it doesn't have to be fancy, just make sure that it has a nice thick solid top that will age beautifully, warming the deep tone. Seagull make great 'economy' guitars which are well made and have a big slab of wood on top, they age really well and can be great for blues, though a bit bottomy for finger picking stuff.

I found taylor to be a good compromise for tone and spread, better than martin, which tends to sound more on the low end to me. I bought mine for less than $2k.

holy crap $2k......thats....alot

Originally posted by alty29

holy crap $2k......thats....alot
    it would have cost me twice that in england, and nowadays $2k is 'mid range', but you can buy great guitar for less than a grand, seagulls, cheap fenders are often pretty good on tone (if they have nice solid tops), and second-hand taks are usually diamond

I worked my ass of at burger king for 2 1/2 months and only made 700$....I could NEVER spend 2000$ on a guitar (unless I was a millionare like u must be to spend that much)

You must have a sweet computer

nah, I didn't buy it until I was 24 and I was well passed working in burger joints by then. I don't have any commitments to suck up cash

if u have any extra I can take it off ur hands if ya want

Anything. Anytime. Anywhere. aliensynergy's Avatar
    A cheap way to buy an okay guitar for a beginner is, find someone who knows a bit about guitars, go to a pawn shop and find something.

I have 2 custom Ibanez's, a Les Paul, and a Takamine acoustic. And my boogie oh baby, tone tone tone Triaxis preamp, 2:ninty power amp, Intellifex FX, proQ MIDI programmable parametric EQ, marshall 1960A 300W cab.
    I have about 25k worth of guitars, amps and recording gear, thats taken my about 12 years to gather.

Well if you were in Sydney Aus you could go to Jacksons Rare Guitars just to drooooooll.
    If in the US try and make a trip to guitar makers, Years ago I did Fender and Martin when over there and it was a knockout....Got a good special at the back door at Martin
    oh I love Jacksons Rare Guitars The owner of the store was the original bass player in AC/DC, I think he still works there. I love Paramatta RD, it has about 7 guitar shops within walking distance. Downtown Music and Smithys are both definately worth a look. Best music shop in Sydney is Guitar Crazy at Coggee bay if you go there tell Charlie, Nick from the 'Gong said hello! He is a total legend. He took a friend an I to the Ibanez showroom (for reps only) let my bud pick any Ibanez Gem he wanted, and let him have it for $100 on top of wholesale. But after that we bought everything from him.
    I could talk guitars all day

1992 fender us strat plus..
    seymore duncan hummbucker
    2 sd single coils
    12 way switching (secret switches)
    crybaby 512
    boogie dual rectifier head
    boogie 1x12 thiele ported (when i am lazy)
    5150 4x12 straight... hate it.. (getting a nice vintage marshall w/celestions soon)

Purrrrrrrrrrr........
    Gurrrrrrr.........

need a good tube verb with some sort of level boost though...
    any suggestions?(i'd run it in the loop to get the level boost)

sweet! I love the recto's.
    I have two duncan pickups in my Ibanez, a Trembucker in bridge and a '59 in the neck. By far the best pickups IMO.

I really wouldn't know any of the latest tubed FX. I want old stuff now, a '57 thrashed sunburst L series strat perhaps with Hendrix burns and an old marshall plexy head. And yes yes an old marshall box with 30W vintage celestions.

yeah.. the 30's are in the cab im going for...
    i do have to say my rig is a bit odd with a strat though...
    but i hot rodded the bejesus out of it and its great...

thats me with a broken nose...(long story)

my guitar has been through the ringer, but never lets me down...
    i dont even ever break strings on it anymore...

i do kinda like playing the super skinny light ibanez's however.. they sound awesome through a boogie...but then again what doesn't?

the spirit of art in technology...

my band:
    http://www.dysfunkshun.com
    [Edited by jasonpratt on 09-02-2002 at 03:44 AM]

yep the 30W speakers sound great, they clip slightly. When I use to practice with my band we played real loud so 30's were no good for me. I also have a half-cab Carvin, 2X200W speakers, it sounds so good strangely enough.

My second guitar was an Ibanez, so I find it hard to play anything else, well not hard...but the Ibanez necks fit like a glove.

And I agree anything sounds great through a boogie A lot of mates have trouble playing my boogie gear, its more of a struggle but sounds great.

Hey you have a nice sound jasonpratt, downloaded a few mp3's, I like the vocals too!
    Nice site too

thanks... i dont think ill have a clipping problem though..
    i know what you mean...
    if youre not used to the feel of a boogie amp, it can be really overwhelming...
    WHOLE LOTTA POWER!