A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

When opening files on a MAc, you don't have to use applescript, you can use the FS command. The major difference between pc and mac opening files is how you path them. This is what a Mac fs command for opening files looks like.
    Fs Command("exec", "Macintosh HD:Folder:File"
    You have to start at the macintosh HD if you are going to any folder other than the current folder, and you have to use :'s instead of /'s.

Okay. I've copied all the faqs and am setting them up to send to John. Hopefully announcements take vbcode.

nice one...
    hope to see it soon!

Re: Question: How to make PC zip files open in the proper file format in Mac?

8minus8-

Thanks for the info. . .how do you do this in OSX? I hear it's even easier.

Originally posted by 8minus8
    ------------------
    How to make PC zip files (with flash/swf files) open in the proper file format in Mac?

Here's a tip for converting PC zip files to open properly on your Mac. That means when you open a zipped file, no more Quicktime icons for the swf's and no more text icons for the .fla's. I can't stand that.
    • Go to the Apple Icon (top left) > Control Panel > File Exchange.
    • A dialog box should open up. From left to right you should see columns named PC extension, Application, File type, respectively. Click on PC extension column and scroll down till you see the extension fla. Select it then, hit Change.....
    • A new dialog box should then open up. Select for file type SPA, then select Change to change the file type.
    • Wait... we're not done yet. Now we have to find the extension swf. When you find it, select Change... then select for the file type SWFL.
    That's it you're done. I did this for my mac and now when I open any zipped file containing flash files my file manager recognizes the extensions.

There might be a possibility that you won't find fla and swf extensions. That's fine. You can always add them. I'll briefly explain how this is done.
    • Select the Add button in the File Exchange dialog box. Then a dialog box should open, at the top type in the extensions that are missing. Either fla or swf, whatever. Then scroll down and find the application that corresponds to the extension, then Select. That's it, you're done.

[/B]

No problem. I'm not sure about OS X....I haven't installed it yet. I've been waiting till I purchase a new hardrive. I'm sure OS X makes things a lot easier.

Just so you guys know....I haven't forgotten about the FAQ, I've been waiting to hear back from John. He's been really busy lately. So I'm fixing it up to send to him in the proper format. I'm also working on an installation for this weekend, which has taken away a lot of my free time. I'll be here more frequently after I get that done.

sorry for the wait.

Hey SJT.
    I sent the FAQ some time ago. But unfortunately I was told that they will have to hold off on that. I guess they are working on changes, not sure. So I will just make a new thread with all the postings that we've acquired. It uses the same format of html that you were using hopefully it won't cause any problems. If it does, I'll delete it and post it using vbcode. Just will take some time to convert it.

Sorry for the delays. If you have any questions send me an email at flashkit@8minus8.com

eileen

ok thanks, i'll keep pushing this up in the meanwhile...

Updated!

I've added a tutorial for PC users wanting to make autorun Mac CDs.

I'm using IE 5.1 under os X, with the Flash 6 plugin and I've encountered MANY flash movies that don't work for some reason. Under X there is no memory allocation (I have 512 mb), so that's not the problem. I am compiling a list of various sites that don't work and I will post on a new thread.

CD hybrid for Audio/Flash Projector w/Toast

- Well, after busting my hump for the last two days, trying to figure out how exactly to do this - I've succeeded! Since I couldn't find all the answers in the same place, I thought I would post my method here for all to see.

- This project's purpose is to create a CD that can play standard audio on any CD player as well as a cross platform autostarting Flash Projector. Judging by the posts in this forum and the Projector/Standalone forum - there needs to be a better explanation. The FAQ in this section is spot-on for the Data only hybrid, but adding data and audio together is a little cloudy.

- This assumes you are using a Mac, Flash 5, and Toast 5 (I'm using Toast Titanium). Just buy it if you don't have it and save yourself hours of frustration. You should use a Mac to burn your CD's anyway. Everyone that has done this will tell you the same thing (that is unless their trying to sell you their software or you don't have access to a Mac).

First: Get your Flash (.fla) in order.

- 1. Make a blank movie with the same background color and dimensions as your main movie. There's just one frame and it has this action:

<i>loadMovieNum("support/main.swf, _level0);
    stop();
    // Main.swf being the real movie. </i>

- You do this to get the movie to load faster, much faster as the movie will completely load otherwise - leaving your viewer with a blank screen for a while if your lucky. This is not as big of a deal if you are planning on doing your own duplication - so you can skip this step if you want to, but I would do it anyway.

- 2. In the publish settings, check the standalone for Mac and PC - and publish.

- 3. Create a new folder and place the projector files inside. Create a folder inside this new folder called "support".

- 4. Make sure all you internal load actions are set up properly to refer to any support files as in #1 above. Make sure your <i>getURL</i> actions have a target like <i>_blank</i>. This will help from locking up the player or your viewers computer, and it's a smooth thing to do regardless.

- 5. Place any support files in the support folder.

- 6. With Toast not open, place your blank CD in the burner, give it a name and make sure it's HFS/ISO in the settings (default).

- 7. Open Toast. We'll start with the audio because it has to be first anyway - pay attention to that - IT HAS TO BE FIRST! This will not work otherwise, as your standard CD player can only read the first session of the CD.

- 8. The Session: This is how it's done, your going to burn the CD in two sessions. A "Write Session" for the audio and a "Disk Session" for your data (and to close the CD).

- 8. Back to the audio. Drag your audio files to the audio window, if you don't have them ripped yet - drag the CD to the window and extract the audio to a new folder. Delete the CD files in the window and replace them with your .aiff files. Set the offsets, 2 seconds on the first track is mandatory - otherwise it makes no matter. Name the disk by clicking on it.

- 9. Record the audio, make sure to check "Write Session". Eject when done and reinsert.

- 10. In Toast, hold down on "Other" and choose "Custom Hybrid". Under "Utilities" create a temporary partition. Place your all your files in the partition. You should have something like this:

<i>PC.exe
    Mac Projector
    Autostart.inf (see the FAQ on Windows autostart)
    Support folder</i>

- Line up the icons with the Mac icon on top and the support files along the bottom. This matters because this is how it will look on a Mac.

- 11. In Toast, click on the "select Mac" button and choose your temporary partition, leave "Optimize on the Fly" checked and check the "autostart" button and find your Mac projector in the temp partition. Click "OK".

- 12. Click the "ISO" button and drag everything but the Mac projector to the "Files" window. Double click on and make invisible, everything except for the PC.exe file. Under the "Settings" tab, select CD-XA for the format (you may need to choose CD-ROM for a duplication house, but I got both types to work). Choose "Joliet" for the "Naming" button and uncheck the "Use Apple Extensions" box. You'll exclude Windows 3.1 users by doing this, oh my! Click "Done".

- 13. Make sure the trash is empty and click on "Record", choose "Write Disk".

- 14. Your done. I saved the disk images to a my main folder (much easier to reuse for duplication and changes). You'll be prompted to save the image when you get done, do it. Close Toast and save the working files on your way out for future use.

-Now that wasn't so hard. After trying for a day to get Toast Lite to do this, I bought Toast and a took another 8 hours and 10 disks to get it right. Now you can do it in an hour.

Good luck,

5G

* standalone, stand alone, projector, hybrid, Toast, sessions, CD-XA, CD-ROM, enhanced, burning, autostart.

Hey guys.
    I forgot to mention this. John ended up adding the FAQ I sent him...but I sent him a longer one. I had added atleast 3 other FAQs, but I guess the announcement must have a limit on characters.

I'm going to try and figure out if that's the case.

later.