A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: choices between a couple interfaces

olde skool member
    im struggling between finishing a high tech like interface

http://www.sbomb.net/udat.swf

you can see how it will open up completely by pressing portfolio ( no sound on it opening yet ). the text on the front page is going to change so disregard it i guess.

or a simple interface ( not finished but take a look )

http://www.sbomb.net/spinningbomb.html

let me know what you think. im thinking of scraping both and starting anew. id appreciate any comments. thanks.

jackson

i have scrapped both of them. the new site is almost finished need to add a few things yet but here it is.

http://www.sbomb.net
    [Edited by jackson on 12-07-2001 at 05:30 PM]

i'd go with the second one...
    it's simple and sleek looking......although you might want a color scheme ..like just a few colors instead of using differnet ones...make it easier on the eye.

and the sound loops sounds fake (computer generated, that's ok), but i can hear 2 of them playing at the same time....so chek on that as well..

olde skool member
    thanks. ill take note of that. the sound loops definetly arent set up yet. when its finished youll be able to control the loops and toggle the sound. thanks agin for the reply.

jackson

i prefer the first. it has more oomph and is more memorable, i think.

the sounds are fine but take ages to download. which is more important - soundtrack or content? maybe this is just a problem for those of us without broadband.

also, the button hit states should have a solid block of content - if you mouseover a gap between letters, it is not obvious that it is a button.

I vote for the first one. Definitely more interesting. I could tell that the robot voice in the 2nd one would get on my nerve after a while.

olde skool member
    thanks for the comments everybody. i trashed both and ive gone with this

http://www.sbomb.net

its still under construction but will hopefully be finished by the end of the week. thanks again if you get the time check it out its 53kb so it loads fast.

jackson

olde skool member
    thanks bainsey, i just decided to dump em both. check out my new one if you get time.

jackson

antiriad

go forthe seccond

i can say that the seccond is excellent but i reccon you wanted to illustrate the idae and not the feel.

So in this case i would like to see the seccond style to be developed rather than the first which is confussing.

i always hated interfaces that had buttons and links everywhare in the screen and the user comes accross interfaces that havent experienced ever b4.

i hope u understand

resolved I like it.

I think a web design / graphics services site should be unconventional, bring something different to the user (check mine).

Yours is a neat interface and, being different, it's not hard to navigate.

Keep up the good work!

olde skool member

Re: I like it.

thanks for your response. i tried to make a simple interface that; like you said; was easy to navigate.i took a look at your site. its an easy interface too. its always best to make things as simple as possible for the masses to understand. did have a problem when i viewed the flash introduction though. right when the shatter occurs at the beginning my window drops off my view to the point where i have to actually scroll my screen way down and way across to find it so i can continue to watch it. maybe, you made it that way? im not sure but thats the only problem i had. the opening animation looks a little like a site i was debating about at :
    http://www.sbomb.net/udat.swf
    i like how you minimalized color in the site, but i thought it might look cool if you made the buttons actual objects like planets or something. the music was good too. other than that i think you have a good site. simple, yet effective. take care.

jackson
    [Edited by jackson on 12-07-2001 at 05:49 PM]

Flashkit's personal pest flashpest's Avatar
    Go with the first one