A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: NEED HELP ON GAME!!!

Exclamation

I was wondering if anyone could give me a point in the right direction on making a game of mine to work. I am trying to make a zelda type/ top- down game but I can't figure out how to keep the player from moving his character through walls and rocks and what not. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to stop that "ghosting" problem. I realize I need a detection of some sort on every key down operation, but I have no idea on how to script it. If anyone could help me I would be so grateful. Also I Don't have the file online now but i could mail it to you if you want to see it.

You have to use an array like this one:

field_1_1 = stone
    field_1_2 = nothing
    field_100_100= ...

but the problem is that flash can not handle big arrays.

You have to use strings for each line like this one: line1 = "011200341002150012000"

The numbers define what's on the fields.

With Substring you can now look what's on each field.

------------------
    ------------------------
    Subway Design Agency
    PONG 2000
    DARK WATERS the fight
    EDUCATION BOARD (Flash 4 based)

Exclamation

The only way you can do this, is to make blocks that know where there are, maybe you name the block-instances like: "block_250_350" and then, the block can read his position from his name.

Each block must set a variable (flag) when the moving object crosses his line.

I know, it's not very simple to create this blocks that have this kind of universal use, but it's the only way I know.

------------------
    ------------------------
    Subway Design Agency
    PONG 2000
    DARK WATERS the fight
    EDUCATION BOARD (Flash 4 based)

I kind-of understand what you are talking about. But that would be so complicated for like a 20 frame duneon. The way I was thinking of it was to use movie clips for the rocks and waht not, and on the opening of each new frame have the computer find the x,y of each object and put them into variables. This way i could have a universal way to look for new objects on each frame. Now is there a way to get a movie clips boarder instead of its center? >do you see where i'm going with this

This is all very interesting but "greek" to me. Is there a tutorial out there that explains what you are talking about? In particular I've made a drag and drop movie clip that I want the user to be able to navigate around objects. Let's say the movie clip is a ball and the objects are opposing players. If the movieclip touches an object the user loses the ball. How would I do such a thing?