A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Vector Graphics Help?!?!?!

Hi all, i'm doing a research about vector shapes for web. Flash is the most commonly used on web nowadays, just want to know how you all have benefited from the development of vectors either in Flash or other programs like Illustrator... etc. I find it difficult to draw the shapes i want in tiny points. & it takes a lot of time to get it right. So what do u all think???????

Originally posted by toothpixx
    Hi all, i'm doing a research about vector shapes for web. Flash is the most commonly used on web nowadays, just want to know how you all have benefited from the development of vectors either in Flash or other programs like Illustrator... etc. I find it difficult to draw the shapes i want in tiny points. & it takes a lot of time to get it right. So what do u all think???????

try illustrator or freehand to make shapes and import them,
    I haven't used them extensively but this is one way.

Rogue

vector

no i'm asking what vector graphics has enabled or disabled the web. i just need to know the overall performance of vector shapes.

well..... tough question to really answer in depth but here's my 2 cents... (it ain't even worth that much!)

vector graphics allow for "depth" on the net, with vector graphics you can scale up or down without having those darned pixelated edges... everyone demands clean images and vector graphics have certainly given us that...

and, perhaps you are a follower of Georges Seurat but why are you drawing shapes in "tiny points"?

Red face

You don't use Illustrator or Freehand to draw or make images with vector??? ie if u must trace one image you have to be really careful to get it right using the "pen" tool. I can't really think what the disadvantage of vector is, just i think its difficult to create something with it. no?

Originally posted by toothpixx
    You don't use Illustrator or Freehand to draw or make images with vector??? ie if u must trace one image you have to be really careful to get it right using the "pen" tool. I can't really think what the disadvantage of vector is, just i think its difficult to create something with it. no?
    It takes practice is all. You will have difficulty creating a photographic image in vector though as they are enormously complex in colour and shape. Use vector for clean edged shapes and solid colour. The largest benefits I have seen for vector graphics over raster (bitmap) is the small file size, unlimited scalability and it's ease of animation (tweening). Illustrator is an awesome tool.
    [Edited by fractal on 12-08-2001 at 03:17 PM]

FK Official Postman
    Tracing raster into ector i not that hard. simply use the line tool and bend it with the mouse...in flahs at least.

Vector seems to be best in low-bandwidth animations...

Comparing vector to raster, is like comparing painting to photography. There are realists and abstractionists in both media. Vector allows for a rich media environment on the web without huge file sizes--put one needs to know how to use it. Most software pograms that create it allow for zooming in--that's one way to get down to the small details.
    You also have to consider how much detail is necessary. If you look at a Whistler painting, it looks pretty realistic, but it isn't a photograph, and a lot of detail has been left out intentionally. Just rambling. My initial thoughts on the topic.

Thumbs up RE~

Raster & vectors. BOTH of them are difficult to download through web. but i guess vectors never loses quality. But it made vectors look a lot more simple, i mean its true rasters deals with photographs & vectors can't. vector shapes is just an one way style.
    Vector seems to be best in low-bandwidth animations?? i think not.

well, vector images are way better than other types of images. at least when you scale the image, it increases in pixel no. not pixel size...i think

FK Official Postman
    Does any body remember doing vectors in school?

We're doing it right now, so its pretty easy.

The way that a vector works is have a single point at the end of a line, and when you draw it, you ploat that point, and draw a line from <0,0> to <1,1>. This way, instead of plotting for every pixel, ( (0,0) ((.001,.001) etc), you save alot of memory.

Originally posted by fractal

It takes practice is all. You will have difficulty creating a photographic image in vector though as they are enormously complex in colour and shape. Use vector for clean edged shapes and solid colour. The largest benefits I have seen for vector graphics over raster (bitmap) is the small file size, unlimited scalability and it's ease of animation (tweening). Illustrator is an awesome tool.
    [Edited by fractal on 12-08-2001 at 03:17 PM]
    Amen sister! (or brother, whatever the case maybe)

well said.