A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: my buttons activate my sound loops & they aint supposed to

This is strange and I hope I explain this right, so here it goes.....

I have 3 sound loops in a movie clip for background music in my flash movie. I created a stop, play, pause and ffw buttons to control which loop plays in the movie clip. And it works fine (here comes the problem).....

I have a number of other buttons in my fla that have sounds added to them. When I play my movie and hit one of the bottons in it (that have nothing to do with the movie clip that I just mentioned) one of the loops in the movie clip begins to play overlapping the one that is already playing.

What can I do to fix this or what have I missed in the design of my fla. All sounds are set to event... please help this is driving me bannanas.....

It's kinda hard to help you out without seeing the movie. If you send me the .fla, I can check it out and see if I can spot the problem. Otherwise, try to explain how you have your movie set up and what the button actions are.

- Matt

ok, let me try to explain this. I'm at work and I don't have the fla with me.

the button(s) that seem to cause this problem are the buttons that have the following actions associated with them :

on (press) {
    gotoAndPlay (85);
    }

the movie is like 200 frames long. what I have noticed is that when these particular buttons are pressed the movie goes and plays that frame and thats when the music starts to play again overlapping the loop that was originally playing. For instance I have a button that sends the movie to frame 100 and then stop there but the sound loop is not affected. Then when the button is clicked to return to frame 85, the movie returns to frame 85 and it starts the first loop in the movie clip overlapping the loop that is plawing.

I hope that makes some sence.....

Ok...most likely you have the loop start on frame 85. I assume this is where the music starts in the first place. Any time you come back to this frame, the music will play again, overlapping itself.

To get around this, you can try this method:

Add a new frame after frame 85. Copy all the stuff you have on frame 85 and paste it in the same place on the new frame(an identical copy). On this new frame, do not add the sound loop on the time line. Then, once the music is started, return to frame 86 instead of 85. Basically change the buttons that return to frame 85 to:

Code:
    on (press) { 
    gotoAndPlay (85); 
    }
    You shouldn't have a problem after that.

I hope this helps. I'm still not totally clear on how your movie is set up.

Smile

ahhh yes its all better now.... thanks for your help. I found something even stranger after I tried that. The problem was my movie clip not the buttons. The sound loop began in the first frame of the movie clip and when the movie went back to frame 85 it triggered the loop to play again. So what I did is I moved the starting point of my sound loop from frame one to frame 2.....

AND IT WORKED

Thanks for your help....

no problem man