A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What's good digital camera?

Hey folks,
    I'm sure you have had this question asked a million times. But after research I always come here and ask for one last final, personal opinion of others.

I'm looking for a digital camera that takes good quality photos. Should I just stick with a 35mm instead of digital or can I actually obtain a nice quality photo for use on let's say a commercial website for a catalog with a digital?

Do you reccomend any particular camera out there?

if you're going to use images for print use a real camera, an expensive one.

if you're just going to use images for web stuff get a digital.

i use a canon eos and a canon g1 digital. I love the analogue camera more i must say, but when it comes to compiling images for a web site i always use the G1, it just makes more sense. I take the camera with me everywhere and take shots of everything from wall textures to office buildings, when i get home i download the ones i want to keep into an image db for later use in PS and websites.

the G1 is an excellent camera, i did a lot of research and while it's not the sexiest looking camera out there it's very good at taking pictures. It has a fold-out screen in the back which swivels thru 360 degrees and i didn't think i would ever use it but it's excellent. The G1 also has a 50 asa emulation feature, which is hard to find in the sub$1000 range and greatly improves clarity on still life-type images.

here's a couple of links to images i took with the G1. Remember that you're looking at them in a much lower resolution than the 3.3mega pixels it's capable of. The things to looks for are image flaws like discolouration around borders, stuff like that.

http://www.rigent.com/junk/misty2.jpg
    http://www.rigent.com/junk/thingifoundinthepark.jpg
    http://www.rigent.com/junk/thingifoundinpark2.jpg

there are so many cameras out there it's easy to get confused, but if you're main goal is good quality pictures then don't fall for flashy design.

good luck!

Thanks so much. Your very informative and I apperciate it a lot. I'll look into the G1. Being 23 years old and just a college student I don't have much money but I'll see what I can do. But once again thanks so much for the advice.

Ambassador of Style
    See, a lot of it depends on how much you can afford to spend on a digital camera. If you're only concerned with web stuff - you can get away with a 2 megapixel digicam and be totally fine and dandy.

Go to this site: http://www.dpreview.com/

It's THE online resource for digital cameras. They review them all, test em, compare them - and even have galleries for each camera for you to see actual shots!

Take care!

-A02

Thanks agent. I'll check out that site. See I want a good camera for an online catalog of products where I'm not going to have to mess with the picture constantly thru a graphic's program. Right now the client is sending me all these photos with the sony mvc or something like that. Anyway it's shoots poor quality pictures and I spend my days having to go over the 200 somethign pictures adjusting them to make it look half way decent.

Ambassador of Style
    Yeah, the new SONY's are actually REALLY good! The older ones (not released within the last 6-8 months), especially the Mavica line have been notorious for sub-par image quality. What crippled the Mavica was the fact that it saved images onto a floppy disk. To do this, SONY had to compress the images in a way that really degraded the shots.

Definately check out the site - it even has reviews by people like you and me - really great stuff!

-A02

That's what that camera was, a Mavica. It took the poorest quality picture I've seen. I have to spend hours now fixing the pictures. But thanks everyone for your help.

Originally posted by SySCrAsH
    That's what that camera was, a Mavica. It took the poorest quality picture I've seen. I have to spend hours now fixing the pictures. But thanks everyone for your help.
    hehe, you have to remember it's just as easy to take bad photos with a digital camera as it is with an analogue one. I would tend to blame the photographer for the bad results you see from the sony mavica there, it has a good lense.

well - the ultimate tool for creativity is a sony dcr-pc110
    or 120 - this damn cool camera just kicks ass, you can do video, and you can just make a quick shot with very nice quality (not for print but perfect for web) you can make video in supernice quality and and and.. its just the best tool i can think of - get a sony videocam with flashlight!

GOOOD LORD!!!!!! That camera is around 2,000.00 dollars.....Did I forget to mention that I'm a poor college kid in the ghetto....HE HE That camera does kick ass but it's far from my reach. Maybe one day.

GOOOD LORD!!!!!! That camera is around 2,000.00 dollars.....Did I forget to mention that I'm a poor college kid in the ghetto....HE HE That camera does kick ass but it's far from my reach. Maybe one day.

i got this for the folks- HP photosmart 315

http://www.dealtime.com/Product/Product/1,2436,7185--1-1-150002-1,00.html

on low res, it get some pixelation, in places, but at
    under $200 now, orig, over $300, I think its a great first
    dig. cam.

I'll post some of the pics if you request it. got some
    in rome and alaska from this camera. i can show the best and worst pic.

Rogue
    let me know.