A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: **Swf files and the loaded movie files location on server **

Here's something strange. I'm using Dreamweaver3 to setup my homepage. I put all my swf files in one folder called "flashfiles"... so far so good. I make an html file and embed the main movie as a Flash5 object. Now, the flash movie is programmed to load two other movies (both from the "flashfiles" folder where the main movie is). When I test the main movie's HTML in Dreamweaver, the movie+all the loaded movies play back fine. However, when I try to test the html page in a browser, the other movies don't load as they should... Has anyone else had this problem? Isn't this strange? All the swf files are in the same directory... Why wouldn't they load properly? Thanks for any replies you might have!
    Nick

FK Slacker
    Hi...

What's the AS code you're using to load the external movies?

Also, what browser are you using to check out the page?

If you're using relative urls, you could be running into problems here with the way the paths are resolved in the browser...Your best bet is to use absolute urls in your Load Movie action...

Hope this helps,

K.

Thanks for the reply!!

You know, I'm not exactly sure, but is it necessary for the HTML file and the main SWF to be in the same directory on the server? When I seperate the HTML file and I use a relative URL to locate the main movie, it doesn't work. However, when I place the HTML file in the same directory as the main SWF file, everything's back to normal and I don't have to do anything to the SWF files... I thought it would work either way... Guess I'm just a newbie.
    Nick

FK Slacker
    Hi...

Yeah, it depends on the browser...some will resolve relative urls based on the location of the SWF file, others resolve to the location of the HTML file (can't remember which browsers do which, offhand)

Anyway, as I said, your best bet is to either place all the related files in the same directory, or to use absolute urls for any linked movies...

Cheers,

K.

FYI...

That must be the case... I'm using IE5.5 just so you know. You'd think they could fix something like that by this version. Guess not. Well, at least I know what's going on thanks to you! I really appreciate it!
    Nick

Thumbs down man that is so STUPID.

Well thanks guys, this discussion string just solved an identical problem I was having.

THAT IS SO DUMB that it tries to resolve external SWFs based on the HTML location. Anyway now it's working in the browser with absolute URLs.

Thanks!

Dustin Resch
    Bigfoot Brothers

AAhhhhh!
    I was wondering about that one myself.
    Cheers Ears

I *think* the above line might be the answer to our problems... Not sure though. If you check the "Using Flash5" manual on page 360, you'll see what I'm talking about.
    BR, Nick