A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Using loadmovie into a container, shows excess that was off stage??

Former Member now elsewhere
    The original swf was made to be 151x126 so it would be a little square.... it has some jpg's that tween across the stage, zooms in, etc. etc.

The problem is that even though I already modified this movie's size to 151x126 and the stage is just right, when it's loaded into another clip all the crud that was not visible when viewing the movie directly overflows outside of the container. What you normally see when you view the swf directly is displaying right there in the container, properly... but all the junk that was off stage in the original swf (the one being loaded) is spilling outside of the container when I use loadmovie to drop this swf into a container. This even happens if I force the container size to 151x126.

How can I "trim the fat" off of the original so that there's no excess spilling all over the place? I thought that by modifying the loaded movie to the small size would automatically crop out anything that was off stage, but it doesn't.

Ideas?

NCD

FK Official Postman
    Best way to do this would be to use a mask. Turn the loaded movie (inside the container) into a movie clip. Then, create a new layer. In that layer, in the same frame as the MC, draw a box that is 151x126, right over where the stage should be. Turn this layer with a box into a mask, and your problem should be fixed.

I know about that, but getting the display right isn't the primary issue... that I can fix. The issue is the fact that this thing is chewing a LOT of extra bandwidth that I can trim off simply by not having anything off stage in the published swf... that could trim the file size of the swf being loaded into the container by a third or so right there.

Thanks for the thought though.

NCD

It was so easy that it was hard....

Take the original animation and convert it ot a movie clip... center it on a main timeline of you swf to be loaded into you main site and then add a mask layer over it... everything outside the mask gets cropped.

Publish that file, and export the swf into your main site... sorks like a charm.

NCD