A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keep on praystation

i saw the latest installment and it made me sick, dam its one of the first pieces of webdesign that i have seen that is both functional and well thought out and to top it off well designed. dammit.

hehe...nice name

there's a long thread about it on this page (or the next) where there is a 'lively' discussion.

Originally posted by phaty
    i saw the latest installment and it made me sick, dam its one of the first pieces of webdesign that i have seen that is both functional and well thought out and to top it off well designed.
    It is? You're certainly leaving out some rather good company for Praystation to be in as far as other designer's sites go. There are definatly many, many other functional and well thought out/well designed sites. Hope you can find them in time

mg33

United States Presidential Hopeful in 2028
    What is it about Praystation that people like so much? Personally I don't find it all that great.

Originally posted by JC Savior Productions
    What is it about Praystation that people like so much? Personally I don't find it all that great.
    it's ok not to like it. Personally i find it inspiring, the experiments not only show great technical skill but also great art. The once upon a forest site was just beautiful and some of the praystation stuff evokes the same feeling. Some of the experiments are purely technical but the general impression is one of an abundance of ideas and enthuisiasm.

Alien Bob
    My spaceship's currently in for it's service...

Orbiting the Earth just above Peterborough
    I admire the guy, it's not easy to continually create stuff that is so original. And when it comes to actionscripting, he does have it mastered....

if you ever meet him or see him speak at a conference you'll understand where all the ideas come from, he's one of those (annoying ) people who just seem to have an endless supply of ideas and insights, they seem to flow from his brain like music flowed fro srv's fingers!

to be honest the experiments on his site are a little anal. i come from an old school of thought that hates photoshop filters like emboss etc. what i do like about this site (P3) is that its an interesting use of flash, having it in 3 frames, so that it almost mimics an html site. Most flash sites ive see are boxed in, if u no what i mean.

question is, why bother doing a site in flash that looks like a html site. i like it all the same though, getting board of this gray thing though never found it interesting and i dont understand why other web or flash designers like it.

Originally posted by phaty
    to be honest the experiments on his site are a little anal.
    lol!!

Ambassador of Style
    I'll say this once... expect to see a lot more sites that mimic HTML within a Flash-based environment. Why? Besides being sexy, it's comfortable and takes the tested interaction of HTML and gives it the smooth facelift it has always needed.

Trust me, you will be seeing more sites like this.

-A02

Originally posted by AGENT 02
    I'll say this once... expect to see a lot more sites that mimic HTML within a Flash-based environment. Why? Besides being sexy, it's comfortable and takes the tested interaction of HTML and gives it the smooth facelift it has always needed.

Trust me, you will be seeing more sites like this.

-A02
    Agreed - anyone who has dealt with trying to make Javascript effects or DHTML work cross-platform must relish the fact that, apart from needing a plug-in, knowing that your Flash movie will work the same in all Flash players, and that you have all the visual effects at hand is a great benefit. From his profile, it's indicated that JD does work with DHTML and other advanced web technologies, so he is certainly not using Flash as a crutch - it just happens to appear to be his weapon of choice.

I also wanted to link this article on Wired - when the new site launched I visited this piece and throught it was great, and now that I understand it more think even higher of it. It's in keeping with a concept inherent in most of his pieces, but conceptually seems more solid and sound, as it is rooted in a source that is far less random (though that's arguable too).

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,49439,00.html

i think he makes great sites.. never any bugs

praystation has to be the daddy of wierd and wonderful sites!, it means nothin to most people, but then there are the few that think wow, and learn something or take something from it! wierd!

it does make u think,from a developers point of view about other alternatives to the avarage flash site. like i said before the navigation is excellent. my biggest problemhas always been techical ability, meaning when i go to create a flash site or any site i always think about the technical sidefirst which is wrong. i feel u should design a site first then think about the techincal stuff later.

----------------------------------------
    |
    |
    |
    |
    | joshua.davis.
    | http://www.praystation.com
    | daddy of wierd and wonderful sites!
    |

my new business card - thanks slinky2000 !!

colin moock's business cards say "web evangelist"

Originally posted by PrayStation
    |
    |
    |
    |
    | joshua.davis.
    | http://www.praystation.com
    | daddy of wierd and wonderful sites!
    |

my new business card - thanks slinky2000 !!

colin moock's business cards say "web evangelist"
    lol. Stick around FK for a bit, your knowledge will be useful around the boards.

Originally posted by killabry
    lol. Stick around FK for a bit, your knowledge will be useful around the boards.
    knowledge is at an all-time low; however unfounded opinion, per usual, is riding high here at FK.

I've been the rounds about Praystation before. I like the site, even draw inspiration from it.

but I digress. It would be awesome to have a creative here speak about just that, creativity. not just book learned disciplines - <yawn>

hey slinky, ever want to throw me a catch phrase anyday, feel free to do so

they had a good idea at ultrashock, where they would have an industry creative come in and write an article/long post designed to stimulate conversation in the thread.

i don't think it ever really took off but it would be a good idea. There are a couple of good threads about creativity and the role of the designer in the design and graphics forum.

Señor member
    Originally posted by aversion
    they had a good idea at ultrashock, where they would have an industry creative come in and write an article/long post designed to stimulate conversation in the thread.

i don't think it ever really took off but it would be a good idea. There are a couple of good threads about creativity and the role of the designer in the design and graphics forum.

What a good idea although I'm sure a lot of these industry "creatives" are pretty busy already!