A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: following objects

How would one go about creating objects that follow another object, similar to a mouse follow? I am trying to create an animation in which a group of assorted shapes is "sorted" in gradual steps (presumably "flocking" toward seperate objects) If anyone could direct me to a downloadable .fla file that is similar to this or give me some advise I would greatly appreciate it. (Maybe I bit off a little more than I can chew here...)

Where have I been ??

Hmm..

A little bit confusing. Not real sure what you are looking for. Is there a chance that what you might be able to use is Motion Guides. Where you draw a line for an object to follow... then it follows it. I think it might work from the sounds of it, but as I said, I am unclear what you are really trying to achieve.

I thought of doing that and I suppose it would probably work pretty well. The idea I had in mind though was that there would be a bunch of differently shaped and colored objects that would float around randomly until the introduction of seperate points (by way of buttons) that the objects would gravitate toward according to their shape or color. I know this is a pretty complex problem for someone who is just starting to learn this stuff but I thought I'd pick y'alls brains anyway. Thanks for the quick response by the way...

*Dun go picking my brains though.. it hurts*

Anyway, what I think you need is some Action Scripting techniques. Since what you are talking involves something random I reckon Action Script will help you through.

Although I must admit I'm new to this thing as well and action scripting is not my cup of tea as of yet. You might want to take a look at this book "Macromedia Flash 5:Action Scripting for Fun and Games".. It'll help you through action scripting.

I will find that book... I think in the meantime though I'll just use the basics...I got it to work pretty well just using motion tweening...Thanks anyways