A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 42 photos in a Flash movie?

Thumbs down

I have a photographer client that wants me to build a Flash movie with 42 of his photographs. (Yep, you read it right. That ain't a missprint.)Knowing this 'little' movie is going to weigh in pretty heavy, I was wondering if anybody out there has any comments, suggestions or whatever regarding this bit of folly. The movie won't require much interactivity if any at all, but he wants the photos to measure somewhere in the range of 250 px in either dimension, 2 or 3 on-stage at any given time, and for the movie to play continuously to the last photo. Should I try to break this thing up somehow or... any ideas will be appreciated.
    dixter

if this is a slidelike presentation of pics

why not just place each pic in a different fla to take up all of the work area(size it down to 250px )
    and export each pic (with the compressions on it and such)
    as a pic1.swf

then manipulate the buttons to load in the swf's...
    that way saves greatly on loading time....

hope this helps....

o btw
    you can use the following to load the pic.swf into the existing opened movie

make a movieclip the size of the pic and name it loadhere(instance name)
    and then place the following action in when clicking on the button to retrieve the pic...
    I dunno how you would cycle through them with forward and a backward button(not advanced enough inm actionscript to answer that) but at least you get some rough idea

on (release) {
    loadMovie ("pic.swf", "_root.loadhere");
    }

Yes, this is very helpful. It's just that there will no buttons to,actually load the pics. There may, eventually, be buttons that will lead to other parts of the site but, what needs to happen now is this...Imagine, if you will, (and this is an oversimplification) a white stage about 700x400px. The first pic fades in on the left, then another fades in on the right. Both of these just float in this white space for a few moments then fade away and two more take their place. And on and on, until all 42 pics have come and gone. It is a slideshow of sorts with fades and maybe some motion tweens but, that's pretty much it...no buttons, no interactivity, until the thing has played out. There's probably some action script that would keep loading smaller movies end to end but, then again, wouldn't that essentially be like one long movie anyway? BTW, thanks for the "on (release" AS for a button. If I created some of these separate "pic.swf's", do they reside in the site folder just like .html pages on an html site? (Sorry to ask a dumb question but, I just make the movies, I've yet to, actually, upload a Flash site.)
    Thanks tons,
    dixter

even easier then

two movieclips in the main movie

each pic#.swf should ahve a fade in picture and a command in it to load the next pic in it's place at the end of the timeline

and meanwhile the swf plays you make it preload the upcoming swfs...

you can make this slideshow broken up in pieces this way and have it load really fast...

good luck on your project

That's cool but, how is it that these smaller .swf's load any faster than a streaming one piece movie. I can see how one movie loads another and since they themselves are small, they would each download quickly but, since they need to play continuously end to end, doesn't it end up being about the same as a single movie anyway?
    dixter

i'm doing a similar thing, but with scrolling images, I tried the pic.swf thing, because czoka said they were smaller than the jpgs- and my pic.swfs are actually mini button/movies that enlarge when you roll over them. they function properly when all together in a movie as buttons in the movie, but when i make each button it's own .swf and import that into a movie, I cant get them to work properly. is there a reason for this? also when i do enlarge each button on rollover, it is sometimes covered up by the button next to it, is there a way to avoid this?