A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Warning.. *********** & Flash N' Pack - PAY ATTENTION

Hello,
    Not sure of if you're the "go to" guy, but here it is anyways.

I've noticed pretty much 90% of my time in this forum that this Northcode guy hogs up the forum pitching his northcode products. He is no doubt helpful, but it seems that every answer is greeted by "check out my northcode products yada yada" and therefore making it seem like all solutions for our problems can only be resolved by purchasing his program.

thanks in advance for any help.

ps. all respect to those who develop 3rd party apps, nothing against 'em.
    This is a email concerning your postings.. I can agree to some of what he is saying.. If you know 2 or more ways to do something outline all options.. don't just talk about yours.. This message applies not just to you but too *********** should he re-appear

As a moderator I can't just go off saying how much better the software I produce is then yours or how it's the only option.. As a moderator I outline all options to anyone who asks a question and give them the best solution for the job that I know off..

Point in fact lay of the self-promotion and try and concentrate on solving people's problems in your posts not more business..

This post orginally held the title - Cut it out Northcode.. & *********** too (if you ever come back)
    [Edited by The Master on 06-17-2002 at 07:24 PM]

I think your premise for attempting to reprimand Northcode is way off base, and it is inappropriate of you to do so in this forum, rather than contacting him directly.

I’m frequently surprised how often Northcode does mention other product solutions, not just his own, when he’s under absolutely no obligation to do so. I don’t see this sort of openness with other solution providers who ONLY promote their solutions here. Where is your public reprimanding of them? I'm quite surprised at your selectiveness; Mentioning *********** was just a red herring, as he is almost never around.

In this great forum, I see a whole lot of people offering up cool suggestions and solutions, not just Northcode. Plus, his helpfulness and solutions (even when he dare suggest his own product) certainly doesn’t prevent anyone else from chiming in with other solutions.

Corl

easy

I think he is just sayng that the forum should remain a place where people can solve problems, not an advertisment area.
    sometimes (most times) you have to say something before it gets out of hand.
    He's the monitor, thats what they do, they monitor.
    simple as that.

Actually, *********** is much worse I nearly asked him to be removed from flashkit.. reviving age old threads to sell products ect.

Thinking that he can contribute in these forums when he can't even manage his own..

I respect northcode and his intentions but his posts have been getting more self-centered

This is just a public warning.. I want questions answered in the pursuit of knowledge not in total self-promotion

And yes poyla it is just a warning before things get out of hand.. Northcode has proven he will stay around which means.. limitations must be set..

I agree, this is not a forum to hock your products, but a good deal of the time, Northcode and *********** are the only memebers to reply. Just my 2 cents.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

Just for the record, my name is Tim and I am Northern Codeworks. I'll try and keep this short and sweet but I wouldn't mind continuing this discussion for a bit and hearing what some other folks think as long as we can play nice.

The Master is right, I'm still around after a year (and will stay as long as I'm welcome). I like to help people. I've spoken to a fair number of my customers and some people here who just needed help. If I was only interested in pushing product I'd have a much higher price, be doing some major advertising and making a lot more dough

I don't make cookie cutter posts here but I have gotten a little lazy about mentioning other solutions since johnnie disappeared (and I started answering more posts). Sorry if it made me appear self-centered. I'll rectify that immediately, and thanks for the warning. I don't want to offend anyone but that's almost impossible because both hobbyists and professionals come here looking for help with vastly different expectations.

Hobbyists may or may not have legal copies of Flash, don't often work under deadlines and, in most cases, would never consider buying more software just to play with, especially if there is a free alternative.

Professionals on the other hand often come here out of desperation with deadlines looming, looking for fast answers and working solutions. They want reliable software, they want support and they (or their company) is willing to pay for it if it will save them time/money/effort.

Thanks, I appreciate your co-operation on this.. I have requested from Flashkit the ability to place FAQ's in this subforum..

It is my hope to eliminate those questions which I have become bored/tired of answering in this FAQ with a impartial listing of generalized answers..

And I miss johnnie he was most helpfull in here

FK probably can't upgrade this beast to the latest version of vBulletin without losing all their template modifications but version 2.2.0 (which I use for my forum) added a nifty new feature. You can make any thread (or threads) "sticky" so they always appears at the top of the list. That would make adding FAQs to every subforum in FK very easy.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents. Northcode has been a very valuable resource for this forum. And in my case his application was the answer to some of my questions. I don't find the fact that he mentions it inappropriate at all.

I can hardly believe this topic came up. It is hard for me to understand how anyone could be offended by Tim's help. I develop products with SWF Studio and flash for a major book company, and I primarly develop standalone applications. Tim has helped me too many times to count, and some of the help had nothing to do with SWF STUDIO. For example the faster "String" to "array" function he developed that is 10 times faster than the function provided in flash.

The other thing I can't understand is how anyone could be developing standalone applications in flash and not use SWF Studio. But I guess there is room for debate on that comment.

Alot of the posts I read on this board are of people wanting to know how to do something, many times, it is just not possible to do in flash with out a 3rd party tool. And I bet when someone needs this feature, they are more than happy to get Tim's help! And even more happy be informed of a tool that will lead them to that end.

I just don't think it is fair to individuals who are looking to for a solution to their problem, and at the same time make Tim (Northcode) gun shy about providing a solution if that solution happens to be SWF Studio.

I have found this to be one of the better forums, I sincerely hope nothing changes!

I got lazy and let things degenerate into "SWF Studio can do it" posts and most of the *********** posts I've read are like that. I think the reason I got targeted by the original email is that I actually live here rather than just fading in and out. I read the forum several times a day and answer when I can so "Northcode" shows up quite often in the last post field

Not mentioning available commercial solutions isn't a solution but there have to be limitations. This forum wasn't created for advertising and the Master was right to say something before it got out of control. I'm very cool with that. The USENET is what you get without moderation and I don't want FK to go there. If advertisers come here thinking they can just spam the group, they will.

After reviewing some of my recent posts I realized that I had dropped below my own standards of acceptable posting behavior. The Master could have just as easily excercised his moderator muscle and banned me but he let me off with a warning and gave me the chance to mend my ways. So I have.

I like the crowd here and I think I have a lot more to offer than just "try my product" posts, so I'm gonna stick around.

Originally posted by The Master
    Thanks, I appreciate your co-operation on this.. I have requested from Flashkit the ability to place FAQ's in this subforum..

It is my hope to eliminate those questions which I have become bored/tired of answering in this FAQ with a impartial listing of generalized answers..

And I miss johnnie he was most helpfull in here

I'm off writting a book-

I pop in every once in a while, although not nearly as much as I used too.

I am one of those hobbiest that (Tim) Northcode Speaks of, and Although I have not needed his program, or his advice directly, I do enjoy reading his posts, and answers. Often they inspire me to exceed my level, and to always know that some one will allways be better than me (keeps me from getting too cocky arround these Iowa fellas).

I am also one of these professional guys that Tim speaks of, as I do work contract work for web-design companys, and I often rely on the information I gather from other peoples problems ensuring that I would know how to solve them when they arrived. Many, if not most of these posts were answered by "Northcode".

Thanks Northcode (if that's your real name...) for the many answers to problems past, present, and FUTURE!

Oh, as I was reading my post left above, how many of us don't make some attempt to self promote our-selves? I for one display my links, and my ad on a flash banner found in my footer... ...Yeah, that's right! I'm guilty too! Oh well, I don't feel as special as Northcode (Tim is his real name he said...)

I musta missed this thread a while back when it was orginally started, but since it is still being added to, i'll add my two cents.

Northcode, Tim, is a good guy, he is helpful around here. I don't think he is just in here to push his product, i think hes here to help people. I look at it this way, there are somethings that flash can't do, but people want them done, and he has a program that can do them. What option does he really have? He is solving the problem isn't he? Is he expected to sell ***********s product? There are two things i really admire about northcode. The first being that if someone asks a question that a free program can do, he links them to the free program, i know this because i've seen him do it to mine. *********** wouldn't do this, because in all actuality, the program i wrote (free) rivals one of the ones they sell. The other thing i admire about tim is that the program i wrote, he helped me with some of the code on it. It doesn't do nearly the things that swf studio does, but hey, it can do the same things, and he recommends it when the question calls for it. Well thats my 2 cents.

Okay, after 2 emails I've been forced to bring this backup.. (yes I do check my email.. when my servers functional)

I will not hesitate to have banned users who do not comply with this forums rules.. keep it about the information or face the consequences

My 2 cents.

Tim (Northcode) has certainly earned his place on this forum and I would hope his contributions would weigh heavily in any forum decision. This forum without Northcode would be significantly less useful to our company!

resolved

We will do our very best to support the forum.

>Thinking that he can contribute in these forums when he can't even manage his own..

>Cut it out Northcode.. & *********** too (if you ever come back)

This is hitting it a bit low for 'the master'

Thought you were meant to be neutral. Oh well.

The FAQ sounds like a great idea.

Keep up the great work guys, specially Tim.

Question

My comments and thoughts are old.. perhaps you've changed.. you may not realize this is a older thread (was a long, long time ago I used to stop into your forums.. and just see piles of help questions go unanswered)

And you have always done the same thing on the forums before.. I only noticed a slightly better change in you after this thread.. (though from the way you never responded, many months ago) I'd assumed you pretended you hadn't read it.. (or maybe you really hadn't)

As I do recall many months ago.. I did send you a email warning as well.. again maybe you never heard it.. (then again)

Hello,
    Not sure of if you're the "go to" guy, but here it is anyways.
    I've noticed pretty much 90% of my time in this forum that this Northcode guy hogs up the forum pitching his northcode products. He is no doubt helpful, but it seems that every answer is greeted by "check out my northcode products yada yada" and therefore making it seem like all solutions for our problems can only be resolved by purchasing his program.
    thanks in advance for any help.
    ps. all respect to those who develop 3rd party apps, nothing against 'em.
    I got $100 says Flashn'CRAP emailed that

Jester & Code are nothing but the biggest help. Someone PLEASE ban Flashn'POOP!