A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: clueless about preloaders

I have created a large flash application, and need a preloader to get it downloaded.

The application all runs on one scene, so I have added another scene as the preloader. This runs on the ifbytesloaded check, which seems to work fine.

However, if I send it onto the first frame of my main scene, nothing seems to work properly, even if the whole file is downloaded first.

any hints or clues anyone?

Originally posted by robinwong
    I have created a large flash application, and need a preloader to get it downloaded.

The application all runs on one scene, so I have added another scene as the preloader. This runs on the ifbytesloaded check, which seems to work fine.

However, if I send it onto the first frame of my main scene, nothing seems to work properly, even if the whole file is downloaded first.

That is a bit strange because creating a preloader is pretty a straight forward process.

Could you give us more details e.g. "...if I send it onto..." -- what "it" are you referring to? and "nothing seems to work properly" -- clarify this please, e.g. what exactly happened?

on the subject of preloaders -- a pretty basic preloader is well, um very simple, e.g.
    in your preloader scene insert actionscript to a frame (4):
    ifframesloaded("main_scene","total_frames")
    GotoAndPlay("main_scene","first_frame")
    end
    In the next frame (5):
    GotoAndPlay(1)

Note: the frame numbers 4 and 5 are just examples and you should replace "main_scene", "totla_frames", & "first_frame" with your main scene name, number of frames in total of that main scene, 1st frame of preloader scene respectively.

Hope this helps...

Originally posted by tonytryout
    Originally posted by robinwong

That is a bit strange because creating a preloader is pretty a straight forward process.

Could you give us more details e.g. "...if I send it onto..." -- what "it" are you referring to? and "nothing seems to work properly" -- clarify this please, e.g. what exactly happened?

on the subject of preloaders -- a pretty basic preloader is well, um very simple, e.g.
    in your preloader scene insert actionscript to a frame (4):
    ifframesloaded("main_scene","total_frames")
    GotoAndPlay("main_scene","first_frame")
    end
    In the next frame (5):
    GotoAndPlay(1)

Note: the frame numbers 4 and 5 are just examples and you should replace "main_scene", "totla_frames", & "first_frame" with your main scene name, number of frames in total of that main scene, 1st frame of preloader scene respectively.

Hope this helps...

Hi,

yeah I've used the code sequence that you have described, sending it to the first frame of the main movie scene after the whole 340k of the Movie has downloaded.

(I have 11 spikes in this movie, the largest being 128k (it is a very complex movie with a great deal of functionality from the very start), the next is 70k, and the one after 30k, the rest are below 12k each)

however, when it then plays the movie from the first frame (after the preloader), it then seems to skip over the
    'stop();' command that I have placed in my main script layer, on about frame 2, to halt execution of code to allow the user to access a menu page. It skips past this and then seem to arbitarily stop several frames later.

I'm puzzled as well, having tried about 10 preloader tutorials, and read several books and comments about this, its turning out to be much more complicated to make it work than I thought.

oh dear! ;o)

um, do you have an URL for me to check out your FLA file? I will have a look as at the moment, my head is more or less blank!

If you want, my email is tonytryout@hotmail.com

sorry, no can do I'm afraid, this application hasn't been launched yet........not allowed to show it to anyone

thanks for the help though, I'll just keep pluggin away....

its a new cia list of black operations all around the world, all done with a neat and efficient flash interface. agent robinwong will be charged with treason if he shows you. maybe charged with incompetance if he dosen't get the preloader working.

sounds a bit funny to me aswell, i can't see why it would skip the stop command.

Originally posted by darkylarch
    its a new cia list of black operations all around the world, all done with a neat and efficient flash interface. agent robinwong will be charged with treason if he shows you. maybe charged with incompetance if he dosen't get the preloader working.

sounds a bit funny to me aswell, i can't see why it would skip the stop command.
    holy **** you know about the operations!

I'm gonna get in the neck if you guys don't pull through for me..................incompetence on this will get me a job building preloaders for life........maybe they'll pity me if I remind them I'm a VB programmer

does it make any difference if it's on the same scene, that's what I'm trying now

Originally posted by darkylarch

holy **** you know about the operations! we'll have ot burn it all now u bast'ds!..................incompetence on this will get me a job building preloaders for life........maybe they'll pity me if I tell them I'm a VB programmer

does it make any difference if it's on the same scene, that's what I'm trying now.....

just on another note.........

what happens to flash if I have multiple movieclips (4-8), including ones with different sounds, as well as an XML sendandload call processing, at the same time?

is there a chance that one could 'override' the other and take precedence?

I've done it!!!!

stuck it all in one scene and then jigged it along a bit, saved my ass from execution

congrats. and you may think you have saved yourself, but think about this....will they want a humble vb programmer wandering the streets with this information once it is up and running??? run while you can.

white fox.