A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Feedback. Starfox style game

Cool. I think if we can PLAN the path the game takes rather than making it random. Then we could load the engine and a couple of small objects, the user could start playing and the rest of the objects could load as the user is playing the game.
    BlinkOk

is it halloween already?

i´ll work on the game as long as my eyes don´t refuse to work...I think I´m feeling like a pumkin too.(i never talked to one how he feels,so I´m not sure about that).if i manage to create something worth watching i´ll send it to you (and post a notification here).otherwise you should have it in your box tomorrow (at least a t the same time but probably earlier)

snes starfox

one last question for today:do you want the leveldesign of the snes starfox or different levels.We (i) should change the ship or the levels or both if we won´t get serious trouble with nintnedo...(even if the scripts are all by us and the models are rendered all by us,i think the won´t be too happy when it looks like their game...)

i could create even less cubish units now,so that´s not a problem anyway

I think it's best if we stick as closely as possible to the NES Starfox. We can always create other games later. If we stay with the NES then more than half our problems are already solved.
    Now I gotta get it back from my brother!!
    Thanks, see ya tomorrow (Whenever that is!)
    BlinkOk

Don't worry about nintendo. The're gonna love us!
    BlinkOk

ok then

good luck with your brother and see you tomorrow.
    good fight,good night

hi tomsamson,
    Forget about sending me your "starfox"... Or Try to compress it with stuffit, or Ziplt... If it's about 1M, it's okay... I just have a 56 k, but i'm patient...

And it's da same about archanoid...

And FlashKit should create a real "Chat" instead of the one that already exists. Then, i think that you and Blink wouldn't have any problem to communicate like in your last posts...

Tchao,
    ZeB

chopping it down and building it up again

Yep,some kind of chat would be good,but i really liked the posting yesterday,cause i got an aswer every ten minutes.
    I already minimized the thing so that it´s 374kb now,but it will regrow a bit when the first level is done.As i´ve got all the enemies ready,this shouldn´t take too long.I´ll post a link here or mail it directly to both of you.
    I don´t know the exact size of the arcanoid game anymore,but it was under 100kb i think.
    to blinkok:did you work on (inverted)mouse control or the space bg?I´ll be busy with the first level for the next hours but I´m doing my best to finish it till this evening
    see you then

incredibulus-actionscriptum magnetos's Avatar
    guys .......guys..... i dont want to spoil your fun
    but i can see you are pretty talented people why you waste your time to simulate some kind of 3d game when you well know that flash can not handle it???
    why dont you use your math skill for something that actually could look good like a 3d game for director 8.5?
    dont waste your time people you can do better !!

unless of course you can prove me wrong!!

ciao

magnetos,
    I think your right in a way but;
    How many people out there have shockwave?
    The last time I downloaded a shockwave game it was 10Mb?
    Director is over $1,000US?
    Shockwave won't last because SVG is gonna make macromedia wake up and realize that Flash is their best product.
    Then the'll make it handle 3D!
    BlinkOk

blinkok is right.two other reasons:
    1.i saw that flash player at globfx.com.it´s still buggy and doesn´t support actionscript (so that you can´t run games on it right now).But it supports glide/gl features and has really fast rendering,so when a future release supports actionscript,this should rock.
    2.I like flash better and therefore i try everything to make my game ideas come true in flash´s possiblities

incredibulus-actionscriptum magnetos's Avatar
    what's SVG? 10 MB? what r u talking about did you see those
    little 3d games on macromedia home page? they are not full games but the biggest was like 400 or 500 kb and it still looks and feels great i guess if you properly preload them
    you can get the most out of director 8.5 games just like you do with flash5
    you of course gotta have some good gfx
    card and a fast cpu but that goes for flash also

about the price

i am not a web developer i'm trying to understand actionscript and i do it simply for fun
    but i understand that most of you do this for a living

so you gotta have the tools eventually.
    have you ever seen a carpenter without a hammer?

currently flash5 can t not handle 3d graphics (among other things like fast scrollig) and thats the bitter truth

i hope macromedia will redefine flash5 to be more 3d game orientend in the next version

until then i suggest you to work on something that flash can handle like 2d games

man i would love to see something like a good side scrolling rpg game
    or anything that would look any close to the supernintendo
    graphics and playability

so far i have seen none
    i have seen a lot project started in this board but none were ever finshed mostly because this projects are started by 13 or 14 years old kids its quite understandable

well i wish you guys finish your game and show the world
    that i am wrong

ciao

Originally posted by BlinkOk
    Sorry tomsamson. I was looking at the wrong one. It's great. I think the mouse sensitivity should be a little higher.
    It's going to be about a week for me to get the Starfox game. Do you know anywhere I can get some screenshots etc??
    BlinkOk
    i´m glad you like it.you won´t need to worry about getting it in a week,cause we should have the first levels done by that time.i´m almost done with the first level.If you´re in here for one or two hours (or come back then),we should be able to discuss it.(i´ll mail it to you,then)

tom,
    i'll come back in a couple hours.
    magnetos,
    Our game is 3d so this won't help us. Magnetos i've seen your games and there very cool. I saw in one of your threads where a guy was talking about scrolling an image on a html page using javascript. Why not use the javascript technique for the background and overlay a Flash movie with a transparent background on top? That way the scrolling doesn't slowdown the flash movie.
    Finally,
    Trust me Director/shockwave won't last. Macromedia won't be able to afford to keep supporting products for small markets much longer now that they have competition. Flash and Shockwave will merge.
    BlinkOk

to magnetos: i won´t support director until it has all positive aspects of flash.this ( if even possible) will take much longer than flash should need to get real 3d support or at least (a bug free) edition of something like the globfx player which enhances the renderingspeed.
    quote:
    The graphics in my starfox are the same as in the super nintendo game (and so is the engine for the spaceship and it´s laser).i´m finished with combining it with blinkoks,and it works good,so i´m finishing the first level now.i don´t blame the guys that never finished what they were working on.i tried to recreate one of my dearest games from my childhood every week.( iust wanted to see how much of it could be done in flash and how i could do that).I finished only a few of them cause i worked on my own.Now,it wasn´t wasted time anyway:I learned a lot about flash and I´m making a game out of one of my engines with blinkok and an rts game with mcfretn.maybe one day one of this unfinished projects of someone might convince everyone of the powers of flash

body 1 tom 0

to blinkok:
    first of all:sorry for this huge post,but see it as a replacement for the missing one of yesterday.
    sorry that i didn´t mail you yesterady but after several days with almost no sleep,i fell into dreaming without deciding to.Today my sister called me and told me that she had a problem with her computer and that i should come to fix it.So i drove to her home (over one hour distance from mine) to find out that she had spilled wine over her wireless logitech keyboard,so i couldn´t be much of a help there...so we drove to another friend of mine who has his own pc store (very practical,i tell you)and now my sister is happy with her new keyboard.
    now,enough talked about my voyages today ,let´s get back to flash:i made a big spaceship into which you can fly with your small one (like in the armada level of the snes game).i think i´ll use our combined engine for that the first time in the actual game (right now it´s running in my old engine.i don´t know if you´re in here soon,but if so,tell me if you want to have that sligthtly updated demo,otherwise i´ll code more on it and sent it to you later.(i´ve had enough sleep now,so this shouldn´t cause a problem today)
    I want to recreate the other control mechanics (nuke released with space,ship turns 180° left using left key (for mouse controled key settings),180° turn right for right key press,boost with up key and brakes with down key.i´m working it out one by one ( i worked on that for ten minutes now and i´m finished with boost and brakes),but now i´m kind of stuck with the turning:the ship mc should turn around the own axis on key press and turn back into it´s normal position on release but the difficult part is that i want to code the roll around the own axis (360° spin) when the key is pressed twice in about two seconds.
    any ideas for the coding?(for this or the rest,so that we can use the best solution)

I think you'll have to use onClipEvent(keyUp/keyDown) with getTimer(). It should work OK I think.
    Send me an update anytime. Right now i've got some screen shots and am trying to emulate them. Mountains etc. I may have a way to make the walls solid in the tunnel too.
    Thanks
    BlinkOk

This game is great!!

I think this game has real potential I also think we may start a personal war j/k.

I myself am making a game similar in style to this however mine is more like wipeout. I can see exactly your approach to this game and in terms of effectivness this is very good. Just out of interest, how are you creating the levels?? I am using a duplicate mc running at 30fps 550x400px to produce a road. Mine is also at very very basic level of production only just started. But this is the link to the road demo.

http://www.arcadenetwork.com/temp/wipeout_demo.htm

I have been donated my first sound track for my game by Cryptic Project:
    http://www.psychotiq.com/mp3/ocras_dream.html

This is the game logo:

Official Messageboard post CLICK HERE!

Anyway maybe you could email me and we could swap some ideas, help each other out and each make good games!

to blinkok:
    I tried it with with get timer and it works now.As i´ve got most of the units and bg obgjects ready,just tell me what you need.I´ll send you the next (bigger) update in some hours,when i get home from my job (having internet at work is good,but a i can´t work on our project here).I thought about solid walls too,my approach was to put another small script in the spaceship mc that shoould stop tracking of the tunnel when the ship hits borderlines of it and restart it when it leaves them,but i didn´t test it yet,cause i was busy with the things i told you in my last