A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: WHAT ARE YOU ON???

...if you don't mind me asking.
    In these jolly old times of new media recruitment being a complete buyers' market, it'd be interesting to know just exactly what other full time web designers are currently getting paid for their sweat, blood and tears.

To get the ball rolling: I'm a designer with about two years' experience, Photoshop, Illustrator blah blah, pretty good at Flash / Actionscript blah blah, working in the South of England (not London), and I'm on £17,000 (about $24,000) a year.

So come on then... out with it....

don't you think that's a lil rude to ask people what they make alot of people prefer not to talk about it cause
    1. their not gettin paid what their worth
    or
    2. their gettin paid way to muach for doin hardly anything
    or
    3. their students and well they blow all their money on comic books and video games

I don't think it's rude to ask. If people don't want to tell, then they won't tell. Simple as that.

In this day and age of mass lay-offs in the web industry and a lot of people uncertain about their jobs if they're lucky enough to still have one, surely it's helpful to know what kind of money other people in your profession are actually getting now that things are *hopefully* starting to level out a bit.

I know I'm interested, so other people must be too. And if they're not then no-one will reply to this post.

ha

I'LL GO! I AM NOT ASHAMED! MWWAHH HA HA HA.

My Title: Jr. Graphic Artist

What I do:
    Flash 5 animation, programming, presentations (tons of those) web stuff etc.
    3D max animations including mapping, making the maps etc.
    Lots of work in photoshop and corel, for the maps mostly but for other projects here and there too... designing interfaces...
    The 3d animations are sometimes conceptual, sometimes just maintenance demos. I don't do all the video composting or sound or anything like that tho. Have only worked with helicopters so far...

for a grand total of

$28,000 a year.

Any comments on this fig?
    [Edited by skitten78 on 02-01-2002 at 06:28 PM]

I was earning about £21,000 ($30,000ish?)working in Scotland, UK
    But Im freelancing now, though I hear with my experience Id b on about £18,000 ($25,000) Man, this industry f***ing sux

NUNYA !!

Originally posted by vampstko
    3. their students and well they blow all their money on comic books and video games
    Hey!
    I graduated 8.5 months ago and I still blow all my money on comic books and video games.

it's all good here. i am the multimedia director for a large software company - they call my team 'disneyland' - (we are in product development, surrounded by a couple hundred Visual Basic programmers, testers, and designers). we develop all the cbts (authorware/flash), web and CD-ROM demos (flash), all software graphics (icons, wizards, install, etc), audio and video production (web casts, tons of narration for cbt/demos), digital photography, and any other kind of eye candy that someone can dream up.

i direct my team's overall efforts (there's 9 of us), but i serve as the lead cbt developer (maintain templates, write code, interface design, modeling), and do all the flash development. current projects: i have 3 full narration flash demos (guides) for our website, one 30+ hour CBT project (we are on month 10 of 11), a movie and presentation for a company-wide software release celebration, and 3 advertisements done if flash for our training classrooms. in 2 months it will completely different assignments. no comment on salary, but it's a very successful software company and i hold a technical position - 'nuff said.

needless to say, i'm in absolute heaven. we are the freaks, we are the buzz - 'We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams'. cheesy, i know, but like i said, i'm in heaven

Let's see...how much have I made this year....

Nothing!

I almost had a client pay me $800 but he backed out.

Oh wait...somebody just gave me $30 for a loop license. Woohoo!

It's ok though....this is just a hobby

What up civil engineering...starting salary around $55,000

well i am a website designer and am getting a contract signed for a £500 project. im also a+ qualified and hope to set up a technical support centre online in the near future.