A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: a way around embedding font in every swf I load into root swf?

Hi there,
    I got the following Problem:

A main.swf is loading other swfs that contain textpages with dynamic textfields. I want to use a certain font in those textfields without embedding the font in every one of those textpage-swfs.
    I tried embedding the font in the main.swf, but the loaded "child"-swfs can´t display the font.
    I also tried to create a Symbol in a shared libary, that contained a dynamic textfield with the font embedded. I placed that symbol in each textpage.swf and the font was displayed in the symbol from the sharedlib but not in the textfields right next to it.

so...anybody got an idea how to get the textpage-swfs to display the desired font without loading it with every single textpage-swf???

Thanks,
    Stephan

Font embedding in every movie

Originally posted by sl
    Hi there,
    I got the following Problem:

A main.swf is loading other swfs that contain textpages with dynamic textfields. I want to use a certain font in those textfields without embedding the font in every one of those textpage-swfs.
    I tried embedding the font in the main.swf, but the loaded "child"-swfs can´t display the font.
    I also tried to create a Symbol in a shared libary, that contained a dynamic textfield with the font embedded. I placed that symbol in each textpage.swf and the font was displayed in the symbol from the sharedlib but not in the textfields right next to it.

so...anybody got an idea how to get the textpage-swfs to display the desired font without loading it with every single textpage-swf???

Thanks,
    Stephan
    Hi Stephan, did you ever figure out how to do this? because I am having the exact same problem now....

Thanks! Gijs

sorry Gijs,
    I talked to a lot of People, and the only way around this seems to be, to put all the dynamic Textboxes (for each size) in the main movie and display it in the loaded movie using attachmovieclip.
    So you have the textboxes in the mainmovies lib and get them from there.

But I didn´t try this because I have to many diffrent sizes and another problem is how to set the Variables for those boxes.
    I asked the Master-Flasher of a big Agency and he said they just load the needed parts of the fonts (not the whole font)
    in each swf. It´s too much a hassle to get around this.
    It should add about 5K per used font.
    Don´t use too many.
    Thats it.

If anyone finds a better way, please send me a mail.

stephan@3w4u.de

Stephan
    [Edited by sl on 02-15-2002 at 01:03 PM]

Thanks Stephan

I actually found out you cant use a linked font for Input text in flash 5, maybe in 6 then?

Anyway i worked around it by only using one text window, whic is altered in shapes by variables, this way i only had to load the font once.

Thanks so much for the reaction, I'll let you know when it's done!

take care Gijs

Yes I really would like to take a look at those shape-altered textboxes...
    maybe you can send me a Fla if you have the time...

Have Fun, Stephan