A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: what r some guidlines for FPS?

Ok ive been working with flash for a while now, and i still dont feel as if i have a good idea as to what the guidlines r for setting the frame rate (fps) of my movie. Originally i was under the impression, that to reduce cpu usage i should keep the fps at or under 18fps. But the more i use the higher numbers the more control i have, and the smoother, the piece. I know that some of my favorate sites r running at or near 60fps, but to me that just seams ovrekill though there is a visual difference. another issue that seems to rise with higher fps is when working with vectorized 3d animation. many more frames r needed for slower smoothe playback. Anyway i doubt there is any one clear answer but i would sure appreciate any feedback/comments/suggestions/veiws on this matter. thanks in advance.

d.

honestly, 24-31 frames per second is ample enough. slower machines can usually handle that, and besides, that's the same (24fps) frames per second as television.

25 and 31 are what I normally use due to bugs in the macintosh flash 5 plugin.

or is that 21? I forget

the usual
    i find everything runs really smooth and fine at 24fps.

between 24 and 34fps is generally the norm for intros

24 fps is just fine, even 31 is overkill.

Some Food For Thought

Alot depends on what your movie consists of. We have done extensive fps testing with regard to flash video.

One of our tests involved encoding video at various frame rates and having viewers attempt to guess the fps setting.
    In out test, nobody guessed below 15fps. The video was encoded at 7.5 fps.

Most of the people who participated in the test were video pros from streamingmedia.com and dv.com and all were surprised at the results.

Also DV Magazine featured an article a couple of years ago that stated the human eye can not discern past 18 fps. I have been looking for this article again and if anybody finds it please let me know, it had some interesting comments.

For our application we prefer to keep frame rates low since slower computers (say around 233mhz) have a hard time keeping synch with processor intensive flash movies.

thnaks. good food for thought. i too have don a bunch of video test and usually use between 9-12fps for video, mainly due to file size. the biggest benefit to high frame rates ive seen is easing control and smoothe playback. I know about the whole human eye deal, but none the less fps upwards of 24-30fps really can make a visually difference as to easing and smoothness. anyways, just my thoughts on the matter.

A TV programme is 24fps, internet content should really be 12fps to cope with slower machines. You could probaly get away with 15 or 20 fps though.

actually tv in the USA runst at NTSC specifications which is 29.97 fps, PAL for a lot of europe runs at 26 fps what it seems a lot of people r confusinfg is film which runs at 24fps. Ive done tests on computers between 260mhz-400mhz at movies with a lot of motion at 31fps, and was very pleased with the results. It all boiles down to what u r trying to do in the piece, and how it relates to computer processing. to simply say tv is 24 so web should be 12 is incorrect information, and all i can truly summize is pending on what u r trying to accomplish with ur piece and what type of scripting/animation will determine the frame rate.

the usual
    Originally posted by asheep_uk
    A TV programme is 24fps, internet content should really be 12fps to cope with slower machines. You could probaly get away with 15 or 20 fps though.
    24fps run fast on my p2 350mhz, 12 frames produce jerky movement

Originally posted by Trickman
    Originally posted by asheep_uk
    24fps run fast on my p2 350mhz, 12 frames produce jerky movement
    Try my P200 MMX!

Hi Everybody,

How fast Flash plays on your machine is totally dependent on what animation is playing.

The fps settings are just speed limits so if its anything proc. intensive like often times associated with duplicate movie effects or alpha tweens then slower machines are not going to be able to keep up with a faster fps setting. The whole movie will slow down and possibly crash the browser.

Comments such as will play 30 fps on whatever whatever machine mean nothing with out a control movie to test. We have made hundreds of tests and even used to serve up our movies after doing a simple processor test.

If you add a streaming sound track the fps settings become time based and will force slower computers to drop frames. This will look jerkier than a carefully executed animation at a slowe fps setting.

If your animation is not processor intensive then I would agree that a higher frame rate would be fine but why would you ever want to go above films 24 fps. Have you ever seen a jerky motion on a feature film.