A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sound Synchronisation

I'm trying to do some research on sound synchonization programs to use with Swish.

One that I've seen often mentioned here is Flix, but I would also like to know of any others that people may be using so I can do some comparisons before I decide.

Recommendations anyone?

Also, although I've tried to follow the threads on synchronization versus streaming but am not real clear on the differences of the two. Can anyone offer a "lame/basic" definition?

My understanding is programs like Flix will help to make an audio.swf that you would use Swish's load movie option to load the sound into your Movie. The reason it helps sync sound to your movie is because Swish will drop frames to accomodate sound if needed. I realize this doesn't cover everything but is basic understanding correct?

Streaming on the other hand is for real audio and Windows media player which streams in the music based on your connection speed but does nothing for syncing sound to your movie. Is this basically correct?

Anything you can offer to help me understand these two technologies better along with any recommendations would be appreciated.

[Edited by LisaA on 02-15-2002 at 07:44 AM]

I am offering free Blank Streaming Audio files (in several framerates) on my website : http://www.swish-tutorials.com
    These files will help "lock" the framerate of your movie -- and the animation will drop frames (if necessary) to keep in sync with the audio ... There is also a semi-step-by-step tutorial for how to use these files ... Check it out in the Downloads' section at Swish-Tutorials

Lisa,

sorry - I thought I had an answer, but I tested it and it didn't work as I expected

I'll get back to you if I figure it out

Peaces,
    Cadence

[Edited by Cadence on 05-04-2002 at 05:28 AM]
    Last edited by Cadence; 02-24-2003 at 01:06 AM.

Cadence,

First off, I'm on a cable modem, don't know if that matters or not... now if I'm understanding you correctly, yes it appears to sync. Your flashin rectangle matches up to the music... is this what you mean?

BTW, it worked on 1st load and refresh.

Cadence,
    Are you on a cable modem? It really did work for me but by the time I posted, you took your original message down. Also, what was the link to the program you mentioned that is similar to Flix?

Lisa,

You got to the message pretty quick ... Yes, that is what I was trying to accomplish - have the white flash at the same time as that strong "beat" in the music ... But, when I went back to my own link, it didn't match up close enough - so I assumed it wasn't working ... It still might not be though ... oh well ... Yes, I am on a cable modem ...

SwiffPeg is the name of the program ... http://www.swifftools.com

When you convert an Mp3 to .SWF - it gives you 2 options - insert as a movieclip (mainly for use with Flash) - or make a new .SWF to be used with the LoadMovie command ... However, you can also set a "STOP" action at Frame 1, and on the last frame (to keep it from looping) ... So ... I set it to play immediately - that was probably why it didn't work on the first load ...

So, I assume, that one could set the streaming .SWF file to stop at Frame 1 (not play - but continue to load), then in your SWiSH movie, use the Tell-Target action to get it to start playing ... I hope that might take care of the "buffering" the audio file has to go through before it starts playing ... I'm not sure though ... I do more tests, and we'll see

Thanks Lisa,
    Peaces,
    Cadence

Cadence,
    Sorry, I'm still confused. Is SwiffPeg suppose to be similar to Flix as far as loading Audio (even though it only does MP3)?

I'm still not understanding this. If it only converts the audio to SWF than from within your Swish movie you use load movie to load the music.swf, how does this sync your movie? If this is the case, couldn't you just generate a music.swf directly from within Swish, save the swf file off and then reimport it using load movie? Sorry I'm totally dumbfounded here

BTW, your movie/streaming worked the first time I visited the page and then I reloaded the page and it worked exactly the same.

I've done this with Flix...works like a charm.

Record yourself a blank wav (a second or so of silence)

Encode it with flix and set the framerate to whatever you want it to be. Be sure to set it to loop.

Load the Flix encoded .swf into a sprite. Be sure it happens before the music you want to sync to (in the swish movie) begins to play.

Now your movie will lock to the stream framrate set in the Flix .swf
    [Edited by monkeypants on 02-15-2002 at 03:51 PM]

Jay,

Let me see if I understand you correctly ...

First, does it matter if the streaming audio .SWF file is loaded into a Sprite or into a Level ?

So, you use the "Play Sound" action in SWiSH, and sync all the animation up to that sound ? ... So, again ... Do all the synchronization within SWiSH (the way it has never worked in the past), and using this method it WILL sync ?

I just want to be sure on that fact

Will all streaming .SWFs do the same thing ? ...

I have tested SwiffPeg, and it DOES in fact create a streaming audio SWF file ... And, it's only $25 (but, again, it only does audio, not video) ...

I guess I can just test it out myself (but I won't get around to it for another 8 hours or so) ... I just wanted to ask for clarification since you've done it

Thanks Jay,
    Peaces,
    Cadence

Just curious, how does Adobe Premier compare? I know it does video, but what about audio? I have the program, never so muched as even opened it to see what it can do.?!?!?!

Mike

Monkey Pant's pretty much has it locked up in that area.

You can stream an asf or even a wma file with time released javascript that can control the swf But it's really a struggle constanly sending go to frames events every few frames inside the wma. asf. You can also convert your swf to avi and thru sonic foundry's windows on demand producer convert your avi to asf for streamed video. However at that point you might be wise to consider two separate outputs for separate bandwidths. Another thing to consider is output quality of asf's generally the display is rather poor.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...s/ondemand.asp

Could someone (preferably several of you) test this out ? ... I have used Monkeypants' suggestion ...

I recorded a blank .WAV file (Mp3 actually) ... Encoded it using SwiffPeg (to make a streaming .swf file) ...

I loaded it into a Sprite ...

I used SWiSH to "Play Sound" (the sound I wanted to sync) ... and set my animation accordingly ...

Now, I am using a 1.2ghz machine, and my system doesn't have much problem with intensive blurs, explodes, etc ... So, I tried to add several to slow down the slower CPUs out there (which is what caused SWiSH to be so difficult to sync with) ...

I've set the sync up perfectly on my machine (it should be obvious when it should sync up) ... I would like feedback from other users ... If this works, it is a great way to sync, and a fairly cheap way also ...

Here's the link :

http://www.purifiedproductions.com/f...streammoe.html

Peaces,
    Cadence

Cadence,
    Works perfectly on my machine. Words match music... everything matches up.

Cadence,
    I've just downloaded and installed SwiffPeg to see if I can run the same test here but after I import a MP3 and then press start conversion (leaving the default settings), I get the error: "Access violation at address 00404E57 in module SwiffPEG.exe. Read address DE1EEE26".

Did you have any problems installing and running this? I'm running Win2KPro SP2 w/January Rollup. Do you know if they have a help forum?

Lisa,

first, thanks for testing that for me ...

second, I honestly don't know ... I did not have any problem installing it or running it ... I'm not sure if they have a forum, and I can't find any tech support e-mail at the site either ...

I know that SwiffPeg does have certain limitations on Mp3 bitrate ... The sound files can only be 11, 22, or 44 hz sound files, all others will not work ...

Try changing some of the defaults ... Other than that, I'm not sure what to say ... sorry

but, thanks again,
    Peaces,
    Cadence

Originally posted by Cadence
    I know that SwiffPeg does have certain limitations on Mp3 bitrate ... The sound files can only be 11, 22, or 44 hz sound files, all others will not work ...
    Yep that's what it was, I'm testing now with different MP3's and it seems to work so far. I'll let you know my progress.

Lisa,

One thing to remember ... Is that, if you are loading your converted Mp3 file into a Sprite (your encoded .SWF file created by SwiffPeg - or Flix, etc) ... Or, no matter how you are loading it ... You should upload that short file to your server first ... Then, "Test in Browser" ... Just set the LoadMovie command first ...

If you set up your animation to sync in SWiSH, before you upload your streaming .SWF file, the animation could change after it actually loads the streaming .SWF file (due to it "locking" the framerate) ...

I'm not sure if I'm right about any of this, it just makes sense in my head hehe, but, then again, it's late and I am sleep-deprived

Off to bed,
    Good Luck,
    Peaces,
    Cadence

Cadence,
    I've tried to get it to work but no luck here. I must be setting something up incorrectly. I've been up all night myself so I'll have to try it again after a few hours of sleep. Thanks for all your help!

Bit of a related question rather than start a new thread....

For example:
    I have an mp3 file I want to load through swish- its about 2mb's for instance- but rather than wait for the whole thing to load I want to say- "When 25 % loaded play and then let as the first part plays the other 75% is still loading in the background and catching up if you get what i mean

I know Swish doesn't support streaming audio but is there any way of engineering something along what I have
    outlined??

Any suggestions appreciated!

Dave / 80p.

I'll be surprised if anyone could "really" get Swish to ever sync up to an audio track. When I say "audio track" I mean real sound, and not a 2 or 3 second sound bite. Swish and Flash BY DESIGN play the audio according to the processor speed on the computer. This means that you might make a 'perfectly synced' movie on your machine, but when somebody else plays it on the net it will not stay synced up any longer...

I understand that but in relation to my query...

I wouldn't want to sync motion and audio-
    I just want the audio to load and play in stages
    [Something along the lines of the flashkit looping audio samples- althought I know they preload all the audio content before playing]

Any ideas
    Thx