A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sound Synchronisation

Either method would work, really ...

I wouldn't know what you might have done wrong unless I compared .SWI files ...

The only reason I chose the method I did, is because I thought it was easier to have the soundtrack in SWiSH, rather than loading it (so that I could test it faster) ... But, either method will work - as long as one of the files is a streaming .SWF (see Roger Onslow's post above) ...

You just need 1 streaming .SWF file to make it sync. So, whichever way works for you - go with it

Peaces,
    Cadence

"They're not telling you the whole truth."
    Prolly a selling point for flash 6 when it comes out
    "Now with the power of syncing"

Either that or it could be a way to keep blue screens to a minimum
    If a streamed swf is controlling the frame rate of a large swf at a high frame rate I would expect a drain of ram from other resources.

Hello, I understand this is an old post, but I thought I would share my technique for "perfect" audio/text sync within flash 5.0.

I guess you could call this the low tech way, and may not even be useful, but the sync is always perfect.

Lets say you have a a 400X400 movie and you would like to sync some intro text to the beat of the music.

Heres what I do:

I make a copy of my original movie and treat it as a template for other movies I will load into the main movie.

I delete everything, but what I need for registration.
    i.e guides and/or guide layer.

Create a simple preloader on the first few frames,
    and use an ifFrameLoaded ("midway")
    loop to jump out of the loop when a point 1/4 to 1/2 ("midway")through the swf is reached and go to the beginning of the sound layer.

Import your mp3 and place in on a new layer, after the preloader.
    Add or delete frames in the sound timeline till you get the desired amount,remember to set the sound to streaming.

Create a new layer:
    On the new layer you will add keyframes with the desired text at key points in your music layer.

This is just a basic example, but you can also control the main timeline with the streaming audiofile by placing commands in the audio timeline telling the main timeline to start, stop, goto when keyframes are played in the loaded audio swf.

By keeping the audio movie the same size as the main movie, the registration is always the same, so you dont have to worry about trying to position the loaded movie.

The framerate of the loaded swf will adopt the framerate of the mainmovie.

This way always seems to work for me, I tested it on a 56k connection and it was timed to the millisecond.

Hope this helped someone.

Goodluck
    Path

vis-versa

I was sent here to read up on about "synchronization" export .swi to .avi... I notice that the .swi file that I have compose is not in "synchronization" when I have it export to a .AVI file.... How do I solve this problem?

This is very important.
    Do Not judge the sync value by what you see in motion on the stage

This is because your seeing it displayed on basically a swf4 player. Hence trying to eye sync is a waist of time.
    Instead use the audio properties as your guide.
    Select you audio track from the events/actions panel/play sound and look at the amount of frames (very top) that the audio should play for. This is your determination of the length of frames for corresponding synchonization.

Also Place the visual marks before the audio by a few frames.

It will get you much closer to a sync.

Worked for me Brian.

peetm

bump

Howling Mad !
    Originally posted by Cadence
    Could someone (preferably several of you) test this out ? ... I have used Monkeypants' suggestion ...

http://www.purifiedproductions.com/f...streammoe.html

Peaces,
    Cadence
    Hi Cadence,

I know I'm late in replying but what the hey...
    Been gone for a little while, just had some time free now.
    Wanna know on a really slow machine??
    I used a PII 133 with a cable connection to test your movie and it didn't synch.

All the moes popped up to late. The audio was done before the vid ended...liked the idea though...

Audio SYnc

Originally posted by WhyteWolfe
    Originally posted by Cadence
    Could someone (preferably several of you) test this out ? ... I have used Monkeypants' suggestion ...

http://www.purifiedproductions.com/f...streammoe.html

Peaces,
    Cadence
    Hi Cadence,

I know I'm late in replying but what the hey...
    Been gone for a little while, just had some time free now.
    Wanna know on a really slow machine??
    I used a PII 133 with a cable connection to test your movie and it didn't synch.

OK, This may not work for everyone. But I think it will work. Hopefully when the next release of Swish comes out we can import AVI's. If we could I would then try this.

Create your scene, or movie and export to .avi then import .avi in a good video editor, ie: Preimere, Sonic Foundry has an excellent one can't think of it.

In most of the Video editors you can place audio exactly to animation. Then save as a compatible avi and import back into swish 3.0 Hows that Roger!
    All the moes popped up to late. The audio was done before the vid ended...liked the idea though...

swf does not chain the audio to the visual.
    That's the point of this thread. it's not vcr.
    As for syncing check out any streamed format including real wmp usually there is some mis alignment happening.

However one thing that streaming audio swf has going for it is contstant rate. If an audio signal is properly tuned there is almost no buffering.

Buffering refers to the signal connection rate. If you have slow connection or go to a busy server the stream gets blocked up by other activity.

As well read back to the mentioning of how the computers operational ability affects the speed rate. This still will affect the actual rate of an swf only to a lesser degree.

Sound Sync Test (Preloader doesn't work)

Cadence, Frets and anyone else..

I've completed my sound sync test and would like some feedback. I didn't do much in the way of eye candy but more syncing than anything else.

Here's the URL and btw I can't get the preloader to work for some reason. Everyone of my other preloaders work on other projects but this one wouldn't work.

http://www.davediamondonline.com/promote/synctest.html

Does it have something to do with loading into a sprite in the first frame?

Thanks in advance.
    humpty dumpty was pushed.

DaveDiamondOnline.com,

It's close but a little off. Seems to go off around the "Kitty Brackish" which throws off the rest of the movie.

Can't say what's wrong with the preloader without actually seeing the file. On the first load it took about 30 seconds or so to load on a cable connection. No loading screen, just a black screen but when the movie is reloaded it goes straight to the movie portion bypassing the preloader but the syncing portion is still off.

What was the audio.swf made in and,,,,
    Was there more then one?

Streamed audio formats can take between .5 and 5 seconds depending on the download rate and file size to load enough to run.

If you include the audible audio in the swf and save the inaudble streaming audio not only will the sync time be shorter. you'll have a better chance close syncing.
    Also use a sound bufftime. if you can.

What this means is. let the movie have a chance to catch the loaded movie.
    If your using sound nails this will be rather hard. without both files. this.SWF and STREAMINGthis.SWF

If your using swideo or swf peg it becomes much easier with stop at first frame.

at which point you can stop the loaded movie from playing write out of the box then have a dual action
    On event
    play
    Tell Target "/loadedsprite"
    play.

Which audio conversion works best?

I have read all the postings however I am not sure who sells the Flix program everyone refers to.

Second question:
    Is Flix any better that SwiffPeg?
    thanks
    Matt

My results of testing ya'lls links

quote from Cadence:

You make the call :

Using the Streaming Method :
    http://www.purifiedproductions.com/...reamingmoe.html

Without the Streaming Method :
    http://www.purifiedproductions.com/...eamlessmoe.html

link from WhyteWolfe:

I am on a T1 in TX (office) with no user's on (afterwork), and I am on a 2.1Ghz P4, 512 RAM, Geforce4 4600ti. Cadence's streaming method is off (sound is before the text by about 1/2 a second), and the non-streaming method is way off!

WhyteWolfe's version seems to be right on. Is it location of server or what? I don't know as I am new to all this. Just thought I could offer my $.01 (or peso) for what it is worth.

Thanks everyone for the help!!!

I found this tread and tried streaming audio for my into and it worked fine. I will do some further testing and several machines but after almost giving up hope I'm back a happy human-being.

Thanks folks,

Greetz,
    Mat

One thing to note about soundnails.

In soundnails you cannot set the frame
    rate of the streaming movie.
    Hence the movie can have 1 fps or 364fps
    And as you can not judge it's fps there
    is no way to determine what to set
    your swish made movie fps value.

Frets

FK's Fnortner
    bump

FK's Fnortner
    bump again

Why are you bumping this? (Just curious)
    While changing my profile, I accidentally clicked the link that said
    "Add 'Dead Rabbit' to your Ignore List"
    so now I can't talk to myself anymore...

The Repository -:- The Forum