A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Group Project

Lightbulb

I know that most of us have busy lives, and the words "Group Project" send chills down our spines. But hey, it's good for experience and no pressure like you would have from a client. Sure you don't make money, but you learn more so that you CAN make money. Anyway, let's get down to buisness. I tried to think of a game that would help us all a little bit. I took most of the big subjects in FK forum these days, and made a game concept with it. Very vaguely, it's a MM platformer game where you can upgrade weapons and stuff as well as make money. We will need some webspace to store all the players data (like names, money etc) and some for the database. The sense of community should be strong and the game play should be fun!

Here are some things that we will probably use:
    -Scrolling
    -Multiplayer Capabilties
    -Good hitTest on platforms (mainly for noobs)
    -Vector Art
    -Map designing
    -Tiles (might be used a little, or maybe not at all)
    -And more will be discovered upon making of the game!

We will need people to cover every position!

Mind you, this is not in stone, the game concept can always be changed to suit our skill limitations or interests. So if you are interested in creating a massively multiplayer "kind-of-rpg" game, post up in this forum!!

If you need any 3d art I can do that I use Swift 3d v2.

You can check out my work at: http://www.homeiss.com

hey i would like experience so i can make some money

i can do good actionscript

Smile thats a start

[trying to be positive]
    ok!

this is a start!
    We will need more people than this, but time can help us with that. Unfortunately, this is like a 2D platformer, so we don't need a 3D artist (nice work, still!). Sorry, but can you do any 2D gfx for the project?

And doiv, ur good at action script eh? do you have any examples of your work?

All I have to say right now. Come on people! Post!

i can do some AS (though im completely lost when it comes to tilebased gaming), and if its tile based, i can make tile graphics (using gifs in flash w/ no smoothing in a tile-based manner = fast and effective, and small file-wise)

Sorry, not to good at 2d I used to draw really good but stoped and never really got back into it.

ok homeiss, we'll try to find a spot for you. First we need to get the more sure people into their spots, and we'll see what you can do!

Flash Developer on a break
    Hmmm.... if you change it to isometric view, I'll be in. That's 2D with a 3D sense of view. Much better, especially for multiplayer.

homeiss can make 2D art. I mean...Swift exports as 2D, so what's the complaining? It looks only better.

I can help with the coding(actionscript+php+mysql) and some art.

I have my own server what I can make available. It's PHP and MySQL enabled.

I also think we should use the IRC socket connection mentioned in the other thread(Network Gaming)

-Jeroen

Question why 2D platform?

The reason I wanted it to be 2D platformer is because it would have MUCH more action than an isometric game. However, I think I forgot to consider many things. First of all, isometric is MUCH simpler to make than platformer, since it will be tile based. We could make something like Shadowrun, or maybe something else. Also, isometric view does not need to scroll jack ****, making it faster too! Both options are still being considered, everyone feel free to enter your input.

here are some of my action script exsamples.. they are not really games or compleate, just sorta tests.. but they do have complex AS in them:

cgi-bin.spaceports.com/~phpwar (cut and paste link)

tell me what you think.

I think isometric is a great idea but thats just because thats the way the game Fallout was. That game is awsome.

I know, it was. But were using Flash here.

Shadowrun is COOOOl...

However, isometric view will also have to scroll.... Or do you think everything can be placed on one screen?

I think the best option is to make a flash multiplayer game with a Diablo look. (Diablo(2) is the best example of iso-view I can give ya.)

-Jeroen

Smile Hmm...

I don't know if we will be able to make it scroll efficiently! However, I was thinking of making it like, once your reach the end of the screen, it opens another "piece"(tile) of the map. Do you understand? The main reason is because community will have to be a main thing, and if we do it like this, it will have to an RPG that deals more with organized crime, buisness, stuff like that, and the actions are easy to do (ie: you just have to click on the guy to shoot him, but guns cost enough money so you might as well make money legally). I'm considering ripping off the part of the Neopets idea, and the way you make money legitamtely is to play simple games (like pong and space invaders). We could also give away more money if they get high-scores and stuff like that. Also, I'm not sure what time period this will take place: middle ages, fantasy, modern, futuristic.

Hint: modern would provide the best user community!

Great stuff doiv I really liked the train hehe.

Diavlo is a scrolling iso isn't it and thats what fall out was.

Check this out this was from a guy who was going to make an rpg in flash but I think he went to C++ or something
    http://www.static-thegame.com/downlo...kANIM-test.exe

Hmmm..... I have the Flash Games Studio book. And I remember that scrolling was mentioned somewhere. I will do it.

I think we should make it modern time, but with some fantasy/sci-fi influencies.

cough*Futuristic*cough

Smile

How about those post-apocaliptic scenes like in the new Spiderman? The only problem is moving up.

sure, sounds like an idea. This kind of reminds me of the movie mad max for some reason.

homeiss!!

WOW!! that thing you posted was really nice!! the only problem is that's not exactly what would suit our needs. We need something more simple.