A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: setting an MC Instance as a variable

smell me?
    Is there a way to set a MC Instance as a global variable so that you can pass that variable to a reusable MC???

-relm

[swf width="300" height="40" background="#000000"]http://relmone.com/flash/footer.swf[/swf]

Hi relm...

I don't really understand what your trying to accomplish. Could you give more details?

Corey

smell me?

Figured Out......

This is something that will help a lot on file size if you plan to reuse MCs that will affect another MC.

Basically what i did was Create a Virtual Room Designer where you can add objects such as Dressers, Armoires, Chairs, Sofas, etc.............

When you add an element (chair, dresser, etc.) you have the ability to remove the item or rotate the item 360 degrees in 15 degreee increments. There is a seperate MC that controls all of this (rotate and remove functions).

What i was wanting to do is when you roll over the particular item (chair, sofa, etc.) it will pass a variable to the MC that controls the rotation and removal. That way only this one MC was needed and not one MC for every item on the stage.

Below is the ActionScript for this:::::::::::::::::

AS for the ITEMS ::::

on (rollOver) {
    tellTarget ("_root.rotate_delete") {
    gotoAndStop (2);
    item = _root.item_chair;
    }
    }
    on (press) {
    startDrag (this);
    }
    on (release) {
    stopDrag ();
    }

AS for the Reusable ROTATE AND DELETE MC:::::::::::
    ROTATE BUTTON ::::::::::::
    on (release) {
    setProperty ("item", _rotation, (getProperty (item , _rotation)) + 15);
    }

REMOVAL BUTTON:::::::::::
    on (release) {
    setProperty ("item", _rotation, (getProperty (item , _rotation)) + 15);
    }

hope ths makes sense to everyone.........if not then email me and i will try to send an example file.........

-relm

"sharing knowledge is REAL POWER!!!!!!!!!"

[swf width="300" height="40" background="#000000"]http://relmone.com/flash/footer.swf[/swf]

You may want to look into using the "function" command in a master MC. Then you can just call the function with out all the tellTarget stuff. It make like easier.