A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor Problems ...

Lightbulb

Hi Bob. There is a typo in your help menu. It's under the selection heading, fifth pic down, the word 'Another' is spelled wrong. It's listed as 'Onother'. Also if you could add 'List Shapes' to the right click menu it would be ery nice. Thanks

Bob I think I also found a (((bug))). I was using the Select Move/Shapes button and the shapes menu and now the button looks like this:

Super Moderator
    Very weird. I am not controlling the placement of toolbar buttons.

I've noticed the same behavior when I use select/move shapes. It does not effect the way the program works though.

Super Moderator
    This a tough one. I have never seen this. If there are any clues as to the sequence of events or whatever, it might give me some guidance. Is only the transform button offset down?

Cool

Yes Bob it's only the transform button that's effected. I didn't do that much to cause it, so I should be able to recreate it again. If I do , of coarse I'll post it for you.

It happens to me every time I use the program. I think it happens when you use select points or something like that.

Like I said it only alters the apperance of the GUI- I wouldn't sweat it.

Cool

This bug, err….. I mean “unspecified feature” may not affect functionality (as far as we know) but I’m sure Bob is a perfectionist like myself and he doesn't want his 'baby' looking unprofessional with the button hanging down like that. This bug could also take sales away from Koolmoves if someone see's that and wonders 'what else' might be wrong with the program. And as a software designer you have to stop and say 'who cares how good the program works if no one is buying it because of a visual bug’. It doesn't bother me now, but it would probably have stopped me from buying the program if I saw it before I did. In any case I’m not worried about it. I'm sure Bob will find the cause of it and snuff it out. Personally I would like to see the Koolmoves community grow, and this little bug could possibly keep that from happening, or at least slow it down. As a designer that's a bad nightmare. I think we can all agree on that. Oh well, time to play with the program some more

I tried to recreate the bug and couldn't. I tried right clicking, using select move shapes, select move points, and just about every combination that I could think of. I'm not saying to ignore it all together but like I said it doesn't effect functionality and if it meant spending months to find the bug versus adding functionality to the software then I would say that the time is better spent doing the latter.

If the bug was like Microsofts bugs-thier software crashes continually- then I would say fix it. Adobe doesn't care much either- if you don't believe me download a trial version of Live Motion- crashes all the time.

To be honest I have only crashed Kool Moves twice that I can remember and I use it on a daily basis. Both times it crashed I was creating a file that should have been split into two parts.

The bug only happens under certain circumstances and does not crash the program- I would say its doing better than Adobe and Microsoft.

[Edited by johnie on 09-22-2000 at 12:19 AM]

I agree.

But what if a prospective customer downloads the trial, and then see's that bug. I'm worried that they may walk away form the program And you must remember that a 'functional' bug and a 'visual' bug have different effects on people. It's weird but you would think that people would not care about visual bugs, but the fact is that they scare a lot of people because it's a bug that they can 'see' with their own eyes. It's kind of like a ding in a new car that you're looking at. You may pass the car by and not even buy this wonderful car, just because of something so small and 'non functional'. Anyway i'm not really worried about it. I'm still trying to learn how to use the program. When I figure it out then I might get worried. But i'm sure 2.0 will be out by then

Yeah, your probably right most people would. Although when I bought it I was aware of the bug.

Stability, functionality, and ease of use was my top concern. Once I was sure of those thing I purchased it.

I did it! I got the bug to show up.

It happened after I was adding bitmaps to shapes and then set the backround as a image. It was then that I noticed it.

I shut down the program and restarted and could not recreate it though.

Oh well in that case then it's a BIGGER bug than we think, because I definatly know that I wasn't playing around with bitmaps when it happened to me.

You know one of the reasons why I bought the program, and one of the nicest features that often goes unsaid, is that Bob is here working with us on improving this program. He's not in some 8x8x10 room with no windows and just dealing with everything himself ( at least God I hope not). He accepts our feedback and responds pretty quick (I was going to say 'very' quick but I don't want him to get a big head ) Anyway it's really nice to know that he's out there supporting us all.

Super Moderator
    If anyone figures out the sequence to reproduce the bug, please let me know.

it appears to be a very shy bug. But it does have to do with the points button.

Question? Did anyone have another program running, what versions of windows are you on? Maybe something other then the program casued this, or it could be the lenght of time it was running, I have found from experience many programs open for long periods of time tend to have fun little glitches like this. I have never seen this happen in KoolMoves myself, never had that happen while using it, I have tried to make it happen and I can't. Hmm weird.

Brad

It's on Win98. The only other program that was running was IE 5.0 (which was set to Flash Kit of coarse).
    They were running for about an hour or so. Good point about something else might be causing this.

Happens on two machines.

A Win95 machine and a Win 98. Both times IE was running in background as was outlook.

Noticed it happening today after selecting multiple points. Also noticed it after previewing in web browser.

Could not reproduce the bug either time though?

Ooh... the plot thickens... I have IE and Outlook too !

My thoughts exactly, seeing as Bob never noticed the bug.