A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR PIXEL FONTS

why why why...

I have been reading about pixel fonts all morning and have studied them before this too.

The ONLY way I can get them to look decent is if I check "use device fonts"

BUT
    if you check that, then others may not be able to view the fonts correctly right?

Well I am using them at the point size they specified, and have them on whole values etc.
    Still fuzzy,

Please help. I have no clue.

newayblue.com
    are you using them in a movie clip?

because if you are, make sure your movie clip is set at whole numbers on the main timeline,

also go into your movie clip and highlight everything and make sure that is at whole numbers also.

Yep. What Neway said and be sure to use the Flash Preview (F12) and not the Test Movie. I had that same problem and read it somewhere the other day.

Hate to admit it, but I'm new to pixel fonts too.

Yeah, I'm having a crappy time with pixal fonts too. A lot of the available pixal fonts out there are not pleasing to the eyes.

I've used normal computer fonts like "_sans" and "_serif" (which are device fonts), they come out nice and normal. But I can't alpha tween the text that use these device fonts. But if I use custom made fonts for alpha tweening and movement I'd have to "include entire font outline" but then this would cause the custom fonts to anti-alias.

I JUST WANT CLEAR CRISP FONTS ON MY FLASH MOVIE!

Could I get someone to suggest more hints to handle this problem with the right type of fonts to use? Speaking of fonts, where can I find free custom fonts that would look crisp and clear if I intend to use them for alpha tweening?

question authority
    make sure in the info panel that the black sqaure in the top left corner is checked - NOT the one in the centre..
    also, make sure the font is embedded and at the right point size in a dynamic text box on an integer pixel.
    then use browser preview - f12 and you should be crispy and happy!

OK...

Thanks thanks a bunch!
    Yes my MC is on whole numbers too, I checked everything where whole #'s are concerned.

And I started using F12 instead, that one was new to me, still looks fuzzy.

Double checked the two boxes in the info panel, it's using the corner one.

How do I make sure the font is embedded?

Holy poop- do all the boxes have to be dynamic? Is it that simple?? That cleared up one of them, I need to go test the others too. Just curious, how come that makes it work?

THANKS

newayblue.com
    if you are still having problems where everything is on 0 and 0 coordinates, make sure that you havent scaled your movie clips - try deleting them and putting them on the stage again from the library to make sure

Thanks- yeah I never scale them, but the dynamic text thing fixes it all... I think?

Why is that so?

newayblue.com
    you shouldnt put them as dynamic text, that just takes the antialias off of it.
    send me the file if you want and I will see if there is anything that you havent thought of,

click neway on my banner to email me direct!!!

question authority
    neway, i gotta disagree... using a dynamic text box is the key to getting your pixels fonts crisp.. the whole this with the fonts is that they must be viewed un-antialised.
    m

newayblue.com
    You obviously dont know how to use pixel fonts properly

question authority
    * yawn * .. whatever... I'm just trying to help.
    anyways, using dynamic text has solved skitten's problem, so there you have it..
    m

newayblue.com
    Skittens problem was that her pixel fonts werent real pixel fonts!

question authority
    right... - that's a problem..
    what font was being used?

newayblue.com
    It was called sevenet, even when it was placed in a new movie with nothing else at 0 and 0 it was blurred,

I have downloaded a lot of so called pixel fonts that have turned out not to be, I have quite a collection of good ones though, so if you are ever on the look out for some - you know where to come

I didnt mean to ***** earlier, its just that even if you put Arial in a dynamic text box it looks pixelated,
    pixel fonts are there so you dont have to do this.

question authority
    I also have that font. I agree, sevenent is a dud pixel font. I think the only way you can get that particular one to work is to use photoshop and flatten the font as a gif.
    I'm a bit of a pixel font slut too! are you on mac or pc?

newayblue.com
    Im on PC - all my friend are on mac so I get the regular abuse, but I have used PC for so long I know it inside out, and I like it that way
    saying that - the new Imac is a bit sexy!!
    might put it on my Christmas list - even if it will just be an ornament!!

why isnt http:\\www.miniml.com mentioned here?
    read the pdf guide provided there

w w w . t h e o r y 7 . c o m nevil's Avatar

Smile

i'm not going to disagree or agree with anyone, just tell you how I do it. First check out my site http://www.theory7.com I have used pixel font's extensively and I don't think that you will find a single blurred or dodgy letter?

Anyway all text fields are dynamic, I have not included the entire outline for any text fields, just the ones required by clicking one of the four buttons AZ az 123 or ()!

If your text is blurry although the general rule is putting the movieclips etc on whole pixels this often doesn't work, simple readjust the text field/movie clip using the info panel in increments of .2, .5 or .7 so instead of having coordinates of 0,0 you may try 0.5,0.7 or 0.2,0.5.

There is a small bug that I have noticed in flash, sometimes a movie clip becomes slightly corrupt and no matter what you do you will never get those text fields right. Try copying all the layers out of the movie clip and pasting them into a new one, it often works.

That's my lot

cheers

Nevil slade
    Theory7
    http://www.theory7.com

question authority

and the good news is...

macromedia have done nothing about the pixel font issue in flash mx.. boo!