A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Buttons in a movie controlling the main scene

Hi I thought this should be easy maybe I am doing somthign wrong, I have the main scene which I want to jump to different frames when a user clicks a nav item.

I thought it may be easier to put the nav items in their own movie just to keep them together so I did and that is included on the main scene at frame 1 where the main movie stops and waits.

Now the problem I have is that the buttons don't work when they are in their own movie, the on click event doesn't follow through.

on (press) {
    gotoAndStop ("Scene 1", 5);
    }

Which in my mind should work but it doesn't what am I doing wrong should I not have the buttons in their own movie?

AKA [ Paul Bainbridge] webdreamer's Avatar
    Insted of directing the buttons to scenes try using frame lables, i mean in the first frame of every scene give it a frame lable and direct your buttons to that.
    That should do it.

labels are one way, but just so you know why it isn't working for you - your button action is relative, in other words you are telling it to move to frame 5 of the movie clip. you need to tell it to break out of the movie clip first so use

on (press) {
    _root.gotoAndStop (5);
    }

the _root bit means the main timeline. at the same time you may wish to go to frame 5 of your movie clip with buttons on your main timeline. in this case you name your movie clip, for example 'fruit' and use this code

on (press) {
    _root.fruit.gotoAndStop (5);
    }

Excellent thanks so much works a treat.