A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: good php book?

What's a good PHP book? I want to start getting into PHP with MYSQL, but don't know which book to get. I have a vast background with other languages (vb, asp, and etc.), but don't know which book to get about PHP. I got this book, php and mysql from scratch, and it's absolutely HORRIBLE. Good thing it only costed me 10 bux. Any suggestions?

Hey'a,

I personally suggest Beginning PHP by Wrox Press. It teaches you programming skills both PHP and non-PHP specific, so it's great for non-programmers and programmers alike. It includes installation instructions for both Windows and *nixers. The authors put together a coherent package of examples and explanations that make it extremely easy to grasp and understand. In addition, they teach you how to set up MySQL and extensively how to use it.

This book, on the whole, explains everything you'll need to know to start and grow your programming skills in PHP, and it's appendix of functions allows you to continue to grow beyond.

RCM

Foundation PHP for Flash is in my opinion a great book. It is written by Steve Webster a.k.a. moderator for this board (NetBreed)Steve does an amazing job of teaching how to use PHP, MySql and Flash together. He also runs a support forum for the book at his site.

It is published by Friends of Ed, see more at http://www.phpforflash.com

Also, another great PHP/MySql book is PHP and MySql Web Development by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson. This is published by Sams and is a little more advanced.

Regards,
    swissLyons