A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: can target MC in mask layer?!

Beyond the Sea
    Pope seems to have casually dropped this bombshell:
    "One of the greatest new features is that we can now use masks over movie clips and movie clips can be masks!!!" Does that mean we can finally create dynamic masks instead of kludgy workarounds? Can it fianlly be true?!

Also, here are a couple of other questions you beta-testers can answer if you are allowed:
    can you scroll anything in flash with the mouse scroll wheel in this release of the plugin? That has always been a major shortcoming, I thought, of Flash and DHTML scrollers.

Can you dynamically import a video? Do you have to import into the movie before being able to play it? What sort of info can you get from the video, if it's playing, if it's finished, where it is playing, how long, stuff like that? Oh, and can you do the same for audio, like MP3s? Did they update the audio controls and editing features?

Let's just storm MM and grab our copies now! I'll pay this instant for the upgrade!!

Senior Moderator
    Yes Flash has the ability to set the mask movieclip of another movieclips with code, so in effect we have totally dynamic masks:

Code:
    anymovieclip.setMask(anothermovieclip);
    Nope there is no mouse wheel scroll support, not documented anyway(maybe undocumented, we willjust have to keep looking)

Flash MX has streaming video technology aswell as the capability to load and play streaming mp3 files through a sound object which means you can use all of the Sound objects methods and properties with the streaming sound. Nothing more can be said about video on the fly, thats a whole different ball game(nothing official announced as of yet)

Beyond the Sea

holy crap!

The possibilities of truly dynamic masks just blew my little mind!!! Any movieclip can be a mask!!! This is a happy day, indeed...

Sucks that you can't target the scroll wheel...but that's a problem with all plugins...

I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait!

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

For those who have not seen it