A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: latest Flash MX news

Just ofund out Flash MX will go on sale on 15th March, and cost.........

$500 !!!!

Apparently this is to cover the loss that macromedia made in its 3rd quarter (£42.9 million)

Macromedia has become the new Microsoft!! Money grabbing F*ckwits! Just coz of bad management on their half they have bumbed up their prices!! It was originally going for $400, which is bad enough.

I reckon enough is enough. That's far too expensive, and doesn't give smaller companies who can't afford to splash out that much cash, a chance in hell.

Senior Moderator
    WE all found this out yesterday morning dude!

Its in the press section of the Macromedia Website and live on news.com

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    $500 Bucks for a program that can do full on app building is a deal. If you cant make the money back in a single small job somthing is wrong.

Post response...

yeah, well we in UK and the rest of the world don't have news like that on tv or newspapers, we just usually have news about wars and death and disease and stuff

And that last person with the comment about small compaies - try running a small company and see how hard it is to come up with that money when you're profit margins are practically nothing. We're forced to pay again and again for the latest upgrades so not to get left behind, and its bloody hard

Senior Moderator
    yeah, well we in UK and the rest of the world don't have news like that on tv or newspapers, we just usually have news about wars and death and disease and stuff
    Im in the UK and i knew.

I think that dude thought the other dude said that Flash's price appeared on tv (news.com) and said that

Flash Developer on a break
    Yup, I am in the Netherlands... and I knew. Was in this board just after it got online.

$500 bucks is more then it used to be, BUT it's still realy cheap considering what it's worth. Just look to other programs like Photoshop, Corel, Director, and I am not even beginning with good 3D programs.

Well... now it's time to scrap some money together....*looks into wallet* Oh dear... :/

Btw, yesterday DivX 5.0 got released, for everyone who hasn't heard it yet.

"Mum, dad, can I have £352?? Please.. Its for this one nice program.. yes I know I spent last years clothes money on Flash 5, but I can do without again this year, honest"

Smile

Sigh... yes... 500 bucks would be like... 2,5 months of work in the supermarket with no other expenses(*sigh*) Or 4 months of work if I have little expenses...

Or maybe I could just find someone for whom I can make a site... The money of the last one got me a new computer.()

Live isn't easy.

Wipe your tears

Um, you could make that money back ten fold on your first job using MX so why don't you quit whining... what are you going to do not buy it? That'll really get those guys at macromedia. I think $500 is nothing compared to what you can make with it, so wipe your tears

Originally posted by jtibbles
    Just ofund out Flash MX will go on sale on 15th March, and cost.........

$500 !!!!

Apparently this is to cover the loss that macromedia made in its 3rd quarter (£42.9 million)

Macromedia has become the new Microsoft!! Money grabbing F*ckwits! Just coz of bad management on their half they have bumbed up their prices!! It was originally going for $400, which is bad enough.

I reckon enough is enough. That's far too expensive, and doesn't give smaller companies who can't afford to splash out that much cash, a chance in hell.

Well, sorry Mr entrepenour (sp??) but some people don't have jobs like you, and for some people, flash is a hobby, not a job. Who's going to pay them for getting MX? the tooth fairies?

And whats wrong with Flash5? It isn't all that bad, there's heaps to be done in it.

Im not surprised at all with the cost, nor do i think its too unreasonable. Macromedia is dropping generator and incorporating almost all the features straight into flash, so i wouldnt be *****ing too much about the price. I believe the upgrade is only going to be about $200 so quit ur *****ing and fork it up if ur really serious.

$ 500... to be or not to be?

Ok, here are the facts:

- Generator is practically assimilated into Flash MX, and many things for which we needed 3rd party applications (like Swift 3D vector graphics rendering) are pretty much covered.
    - Have you guys read the reviews/previews? Have you seen the part where it talks about the scollbars, submit buttons, combo-boxes, and others? Well, just like that, there is many things for which you need smart clips NO MORE!
    - Flash is bookmarkable! Get into any old Flash movie site, and advance through the site. Then , pres "Back" on your browser... Nothing happens. Well, that AIN'T NO MORE either! Flash MX comes with a layer that will usually be called "anchors" where you (yes, YOU, the designer!) can set up the places where your browser will remember where to go back, forward, and so on...

Frankly I think this pays the price.

And please don't get me wrong: I do understand how hard it is to shell out $ 500.00 for something that wasn't neither in your plans by January nor in your budget of March.

But still: it's well worth the bucks... IMHO
    [Edited by Abelius on 03-05-2002 at 01:24 PM]

Swift 3d is covered? so I can import 3ds files into FlashMx, and render them as vectors? I don't think so.

They have replaced smart clips with a new type of clips, that are built into the flash player. HTML has this!!

correction

Maybe I did not succeed to express myself correctly the first time, and I even had to edit my orthographic errors... but here is my reply to you, Ed_Mack:

Definitely Swift 3D is not "COVERED" as an entire entity. I stated that some of the features of Swift 3d were now an intrinsic part of Flash (MX).

And I would like to add yet another remark to this comment: I like personally Swift 3D very much, and allthough I am a newbie programmer and designer myself (submitted only one movie to Flashkit so far), I think Flash MX would cost more than a grand if ALL the features of a program like Swift 3D would be "COVERED"...

Thanks for bringing it up, Ed_Mack...!

I was just being my usual annoying and argumentitive self

Originally posted by Ed_Mack
    Well, sorry Mr entrepenour (sp??) but some people don't have jobs like you, and for some people, flash is a hobby, not a job. Who's going to pay them for getting MX? the tooth fairies?
    expensive hobby. ever thought about getting a new hobby and/or job?

btw, entrepreneur

No way! Flash is the best hobby you can have. I like it too.

And I see it more as a future investment. Because I am getting my experience now, and I can get it back later when I have a good job.

I will happely put my normal expenses down, to buy FMX. And I am 17, btw... And I bet I am better then most of you.

glad to hear that.

however, a tip. create a great portfolio while you're gaining experience. that's the best way to get a job.

well that, and an education.

good luck to you jeroen84, et al.

btw, it's not hard to be better than me in flash

I shop at HOTLINE

They always have the better rates