A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: latest Flash MX news

But seriously, $500 seems a fair price for Flash MX with all the new features that we are hearing about. I have paid much more money for software that I use much less often than I use Flash.

I sure wish Macromedia developers would integrate an auto Player version detection and and auto plugin upgrade option (sort of like with ShockWave). That would be nice.

toot toot
    ---was that an advert?

eugh!

$500! A Total f'in ripoff

Geez what money grubbers they are. That's more than Windows 2000 pro/ winxp etc.. what a RIPOFF. I'll get by with flash 5 for now, thanks very much.

I'd pay up to $300, no more.. that's a ton of money for a software program.

already got flash?

it's only a 200.00 upgrade.

Re: $500! A Total f'in ripoff

Originally posted by alohaha
    Geez what money grubbers they are. That's more than Windows 2000 pro/ winxp etc.. what a RIPOFF. I'll get by with flash 5 for now, thanks very much.

I'd pay up to $300, no more.. that's a ton of money for a software program.
    If you had a legitimate copy of Flash 5, then you would only have to pay the upgrade price, which should be under $200 bucks. It seems like most of the whining about price is being done by people who don't plan on paying anything for it anyway.

my sentiments exactly Rush.

Originally posted by sichi
    ---was that an advert?

eugh!
    nah, just reality man. Comon, its 2002 mister.

How else do I spend $500?

Lets think...

A.I could... blow through $500 in party materials without batting an eye. We're talking one night of entertainment.

B. I could.... pay about 1/3 of my monthly rent....WooHoo!

C. I could.... take my wife out to a real nice Restaurant, drink a couple nice bottles of wine, maybe twice for that $500 bucks.

the list could go on and on and on....point is, I can spend that same $500 on Flash MX, and get use out of it EVERYDAY, as much as I want...

I understand that not everyone has $500 laying around, hell I used to live in a tent a couple years ago! As a professional though, I have no problems with this price.

Flash 5 is great, in fact the reality is that it will be quite sometime before large numbers of users download the Flash6 Player, so with that in mind....The new features of Flash MX are quite limited in many practical web development projects. It depends on who your target market is. That sure wont stop me from buying MX as soon as I can so I can learn it, you can publish as Flash 5 while learning Flash MX and with a $200 upgrade to MX...well..enough said.

Originally posted by gerbick
    Originally posted by Ed_Mack
    Well, sorry Mr entrepenour (sp??) but some people don't have jobs like you, and for some people, flash is a hobby, not a job. Who's going to pay them for getting MX? the tooth fairies?

expensive hobby. ever thought about getting a new hobby and/or job?

btw, entrepreneur
    So, you suggest I quit school and get a job? My parents are all for it (Well, I could do both, but I would never get enough time to the job properly, and who would pay a part timer eh?)

uhh, you guys all realize that if you own flash 2, 3, 4, or 5, you can get the new version for only $199, right?

http://www.macromedia.com/software/f...tinfo/upgrade/

cheers,

Chris.
    http://www.opacitydesigngroup.com

To Chris: (Opacity)

Wow. Your site is elegant. Very nice.

Originally posted by TheTrooper
    To Chris: (Opacity)

Wow. Your site is elegant. Very nice.
    thanks! I appreciate it.

It's been a while (a year) since I've hung out at flashkit.com -- I had a macromedia site of the day back in 2000, but then my site just sat there forever!

Just launched this new one a month ago

My host has slowed down a bit in the last week or two... if that went away I'd be happy!

cheers,

Chris.
    http://www.opacitydesigngroup.com

[Edited by opacitydesign on 03-05-2002 at 05:13 PM]

comments:

To opacitydesign:
    Really a nice website!

To all the ones who don't think $ 500.00 is too much:
    My support.

to all the ones who DO mind:
    How much do you think would you be asking for it if you were MM?

Originally posted by Ed_Mack
    So, you suggest I quit school and get a job? My parents are all for it (Well, I could do both, but I would never get enough time to the job properly, and who would pay a part timer eh?)
    my suggestions earlier not enough? I'm sticking by them.

no need to drop out of school - if you are in school, guess what. you qualify for the academic version. may cost you $99 for the whole thing. surely you can afford that. back to the school thing... those of us that went to college, we all know the suffering of college - broke, lots of beer. but still broke.

heck, I had to pay 1500.00 a year for support for my Softimage academic version. 500.00? I would have been overjoyed for so little.

why not do some freelance?

btw, opacity. NICE site

Sure, why don't you pay for it for me?

The closest I've came to jobs was a paper round, and then some paper work for my dads restaurant. My current version of Flash appears to be the academic version (Non commercial).

1500 for support? Were you expecting SoftImage to just give you support? If you're going to spend on Softimage, then that shouldn't bee too bad. Anyway, you could always make a film to pay off for it, as I'm sure you would

Freelancing, would I ever have to make physical contact with clients? How long would they expect a project to get finished (you set the dificulty and time).

Anyway, I probably don't have $99 in my bank account.. Maybe in my not ot be opened until I'm 18 account, but I can't use that.

Anyway, If I spent $99, it would take ages to re gather.

imagination through stupidity
    Originally posted by Pope de Flash
    $500 Bucks for a program that can do full on app building is a deal. If you cant make the money back in a single small job somthing is wrong.

really, anyone of us should be able to make the money back in ... ugh i make like nothing.. id take me 14 hours to pay for flash mx.. *sobbing, i need more money*

$500 FOR FLASH 6 ?? !!

ITS FAR TOO LOW!!!

i WOULD GLADLY SELL MY HOUSE, CAR, AND ALL MY POSSESSIONS FOR JUST ONE HOUR WITH FLASH 6 !!

wooowwww

who spilled the * WHINE *..... I cant afford $99 bucks, it take me 14 hours....???

I mean really, are you cats like 12 years old or what?

Somebody break out the mushroom brushes so these lamers can get the sand out of theis pussies

sorry in advance that was harsh, but COMON!

I happen to agree with you. Look what this product can do, it's fabulous, and its WAYY cheaper than photoshop.

If you wanted to start say... a grocery store, you'd have to have alot of money available to stock your shelves.

web design companies have to be one of the easiest companies in the world to startup. $500 for flash (or $199 if you already have flash 2,3,4,5) sounds plenty fair to me.

Originally posted by opacitydesign
    I happen to agree with you. Look what this product can do, it's fabulous, and its WAYY cheaper than photoshop.

If you wanted to start say... a grocery store, you'd have to have alot of money available to stock your shelves.

web design companies have to be one of the easiest companies in the world to startup. $500 for flash (or $199 if you already have flash 2,3,4,5) sounds plenty fair to me.

Amen Brother