A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: batch file blues

Hi,

Ok heres the deal, I have a load of swf's, powerpoint presentations and pdf's stitched together to form a presentation. This is activated via a flash projector (exe) and will be distributed on a CDROM.

When I built the original system, I had all the files in the root directory, i.e. with the exe. However, I now want to package the whole system under a seperate directory, therefore when the user places the CDROM into their drive, they only get the autorun file (which calls the exe in the directory), a readme file and the directory.

However, when I create the CD and place it in my drive, the autorun works perfectly. Unfortunately, launching pdf's etc ceases to work. I am using an fscommand to call a batch file that launches the reader and the applicable pdf file.

If the user goes into the directory and starts the system directly from the exe file, then they do work !! Now, I cannot see any plausible reason why the path structure should cause this. Any help is appreciated.

Apologies for the thread being so long !!

Regards,

motorpilot :-)

Post I had something simular happen

I had something simular happen to me aperently when you call a directory switch to launch a flash file, the directory never actually changes the flash exe launches but the directory will be the one where the autorun was run from. So if you had your cd set so autorun would go into /yourfilename/launch.exe windows won't recognize that your in folder /yourfilename instead it thinks your in the parent folder. I have used doss jump around but that isn't the best way around the problem you could try editing your flash exe and pointing to the pdf files as if you were in the parent directory like /yourfilename/your.pdf

just a thought if I'm wrong somebody please let me know so I can adjust as well thanks.

Well maybe I'm reading this wrong.. but it sounds like you want to hide you batch files

Now either the batch files aren't in the same directory's as the pdf's or your just not using a folder sign to call into the directory.. Depending on your version of flash / \ will work for folders (just try both)

Example command: Fscommand Exec, somefolder/somefile.bat

The first thing I would do if I where you.. is to test the batch files on the command line or a simple double click should do it too.. if there functioning then your Flash FsCommand coding is in error..

Also I would recommend if you wish to make your cd's more organized you subdivide into two folders one for batch files and one for .pdf's to do this though you need to use ..\ or ../ (again depending on your version of flash)

But I would do this as a directory structure
    -RootCD
    --Batchfiles
    --PDF's

Lastly if you want to avoid batch files mess's I would recommend 3rd party tools or custom projectors (then you wouldn't even have to show that quickie dos window)

And remember to code proper Batch Files (I refer to them as command line calls) for NT as well
    [Edited by The Master on 03-08-2002 at 03:46 AM]