A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: *sigh* still no support for music :(

Arrow

The new editor looks truly brilliant, I'm really looking forward to trying this ... but I'm very disappointed to see that there is apparently STILL no real support for any type of music? :/ ... you can still use looped samples ofcourse, but that's about it ... I really, really miss the ability to compose an actual piece of music for my sites, be it a simple loop-based sequencer or whatever, it would still be a massive improvement over just a single sampled loop. Good varied background music remains impossible, and it's such a shame - I can't believe I'm the only one who gets sick of listening to a 5-second loop over and over again every time I visit a flash site? Am I really the only one who thinks music is so important to a presentation??

*sigh*

I guess I can start waiting for Flash 7 already...

gskinner.com
    I don't know this will work for sure, but:

With Flash 6 you now have access to a soundFinished event (or something similar). This may enable you to build simple MIDI type engines fairly easily (assuming there isn't a latency issue).

Cheers.

I totally agree with you on this topic, I feel Sound, especially music is something that needs to be looked at more. I mean sound sets the scene. you could have a great animation film but without sound efects and music it would be nothing. With sound and music that just builds the emotions and again sets the scene.

This is one thing they need to look into, being able to like you said bring in composed music, instead of 5 second loops all the time. Take for instance Films in general, some films of the best films have amazing music. I dont know a great film which does not have great music in it. films like Lord of the rings, Gladiator, Braveheart, Armageddon, Star wars. I mean none of those have rubbish music in them. and i feel this needs to be looked upon.

I would love to be able compose an actual piece of music music like mindplay said. At the end of the day, the point is music and sound is everything, i dont think anyone can agree. they deffinately are everything if you are creating flash Movies of your won, its something you definately want. I am totally with you on this mindplay, bout time someone said something, hope macromedia make this available in there next version

Senior Moderator
    Code:
    mysound=new Sound(this)
    mysound.loadSound("http://www.flashguru.co.uk/mp3/tester.mp3")
    mysound.onSoundComplete=function(){
        trace("sound finished")
    }
    Other than that, not much else has changed with regards to sound, oh there is:

Code:
    trace(mysound.duration)
    trace(mysound.position)
    trace(mysound.getBytesLoaded())
    trace(mysound.getBytesTotal())
    Also.
    [Edited by FlashGuru on 03-04-2002 at 07:14 PM]

gskinner.com
    That's all you need though. Combined with setInterval, you have everything you need to develop an engine that will play composed music. The only real questions would be latency and processor requirements. Assuming that onSoundComplete is an event that triggers when a sound is done playing:

mysound=new Sound(this)
    mysound.onSoundComplete=playNext;

i=0;
    function playNext(){
    sequence = [0,1,2,2,1,3,2,2,3,4]
    mysound.attachSound("sound"+sequence[i]);
    i++;
    }

Not sure if this would work, but something similar should.

imagination through stupidity
    Originally posted by mindplay
    The new editor looks truly brilliant, I'm really looking forward to trying this ... but I'm very disappointed to see that there is apparently STILL no real support for any type of music? :/ ... you can still use looped samples ofcourse, but that's about it ... I really, really miss the ability to compose an actual piece of music for my sites, be it a simple loop-based sequencer or whatever, it would still be a massive improvement over just a single sampled loop. Good varied background music remains impossible, and it's such a shame - I can't believe I'm the only one who gets sick of listening to a 5-second loop over and over again every time I visit a flash site? Am I really the only one who thinks music is so important to a presentation??

*sigh*

I guess I can start waiting for Flash 7 already...
    http://www.sonicfoundry.com

caithness massiv
    guru --- could you do something like this??

mysound.loadSound("http://www.digitallyimported.com/mp3/trance128k.pls")

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    agent vivid only mp3 at this time can be loaded dynamic. Maybe in the future they will give us other formats but as of right now thats the only streaming format that we have.

Senior Moderator
    agent vivid only mp3 at this time can be loaded dynamic. Maybe in the future they will give us other formats but as of right now thats the only streaming format that we have.
    At the day of release yes, but there are more formats with the backend application services.

caithness massiv
    i've always wanted to hear a live mp3 stream via flash...

so i guess we're still stuck with publishing those large swfs per song

onSoundComplete should help with preloading issues, though

Maya * ActionScript Addict DangerAhead's Avatar

Video

They really glossed over Video in the release yesterday. There were no Question and Answer period.

it was a bunch of hullabaloo.

no mention of codecs except Sorenson. Which means you have to find out of the video is compressed at runtime or at publishing.

if at publishing, can it be streamed AFTER all the other content is placed on the page?

Many questions.
    Many questions.

and do you directly load the video at runtime if you compressed it to sorenson codec?

imagination through stupidity

Re: Video

Originally posted by DangerAhead
    They really glossed over Video in the release yesterday. There were no Question and Answer period.

it was a bunch of hullabaloo.

no mention of codecs except Sorenson. Which means you have to find out of the video is compressed at runtime or at publishing.

if at publishing, can it be streamed AFTER all the other content is placed on the page?

Many questions.
    Many questions.

and do you directly load the video at runtime if you compressed it to sorenson codec?
    i do believe the Flash MX automatically compresses it in the sorenson codec when the movie is imported!