A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Editing a .asf file - can anyone help?

Hi, I've got a video, Windows Media, an .asf file and I need to edit it, i.e. put some sequence at the end of it. Does anyone know in what I could possibly open it or edit in such a way that I can put another file at the end of it??? Wouldn't that have to be an .asf file as well?

I started off with Premiere ... and now I know ... But then I downloaded the Windows Media SDK but it doesn't seem to work for me...

Anyone that can help?

Thanx in advance!

hrannar

ASF is not actually a format of video. The .asf extension is just a wrapper for a file that's encoded in one of many different formats. Adobe Premiere will let you edit any videos together that you have codecs installed for (ie. videos you can play through media player). When you export the video, it is totally up to you what format you encode it in.

If you want ASF, I'd recommend exporting the video as some sort of AVI (probably with the Indeo codec) and then using the Media Toolkit to create an ASF file.

Originally posted by RubberDucky
    ASF is not actually a format of video. The .asf extension is just a wrapper for a file that's encoded in one of many different formats. Adobe Premiere will let you edit any videos together that you have codecs installed for (ie. videos you can play through media player). When you export the video, it is totally up to you what format you encode it in.

If you want ASF, I'd recommend exporting the video as some sort of AVI (probably with the Indeo codec) and then using the Media Toolkit to create an ASF file.
    Thanx Ducky!

The thing is,though, that I only got the .asf file in my hands as is, and need to add some part to the end of it. You know any way of doing this? Don't know the Codec, framerate or anything, so it's a pretty rough guess ...

If you open up the ASF file in Windows Media player, then go to file --> properties and one of the tabs you should be able to find whatever codecs are in use playing it. That's what it's compressed in.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...on/default.asp

Many asf Files use the MS MPEG-4 codec and that website explains a bit more about it. You'll have to edit the clips together in Adobe Premiere then recompress them into one movie using any codec you choose. If you want to use the MPEG4 codec, I believe you'll have to export the video as AVI with a generic codec from Premiere, then use the MS Media Tools to compress that video into an ASF file of the proper format.