A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: yes

Check out this link:
    http://www.devx.com/webdev/reviews/F...ib030402-2.asp

Server Integration
    One feature missing from this version of Flash MX is true server application integration, but that's coming. ColdFusion MX, which is expected this summer, is the first market evidence of the merger between Macromedia and Allaire. Consisting of a Flash Application Server Gateway and a Communications server, Flash authors will be able to integrate applications on J2EE and .NET servers, as well as the ColdFusion MX server via a protocol built into the Flash 6 player itself.

The application server gateway provides an interface between app servers and the Flash client that goes beyond the useful but inflexible HTTP Get/Post methodology Flash currently provides. Right now, Flash authors must build an intermediary interface to server applications that can accept requests via HTTP. Typically this entails an ASP, PHP, or JSP page that brokers requests to and from a server application. The application server promises to eliminate this middleman.

The communication server promises to broker direct inter-client connectivity for applications such as synchronous messaging. In addition, Macromedia will also release Dreamweaver MX, which will add support for additional server and connectivity technologies for Flash and application architects. If you've been creating middle-tier pages to connect Flash clients to servers dynamically, you will be glad to know that you won't have to do that much longer. Until then, Flash MX offers an abundance of new features.

----
    So, here you see, using the promised future release of the MX server, that there will be communication that will end the need for the HTTP tier. Flash MX will indeed be able to communication directly to the MX application server - not directly to the database per say, but basically it will be directly to the server tier. Flash MX will no longer require developers (so it seems to me) to create the JSP, ASP, PHP, Perl tier but will be able to have direct communication to the server tired using this application server. This also means, as the article describes, full ability for Flash MX to integrate with .NET and J2EE environments. This is ground breaking and opens the door for great Flash application development!!

Hi,

I do not believe into new protocols (there is another company in Redmond that would probably build in a new protocol that can only be used by their own products), so said MX server is probably just Macromedia's own implementation of a socket server.
    This will probably bring forth new levels of interactivity - consider the familiar chatroom that either responds slow or hammers at the server
    You will still need some code to talk to your database, and you will want this code on the server rather than buried in your movie for security reasons - but the code may be somewhat more straightforward if the server maintains a real connection - in contrast to a session module

Questions that remain open: will the mx server run on a real server system, and how much will it cost?

Musicman

yes, I agree with you on new protocols and technology - but the fact of the matter is, it was all new at some point. Java was new at some point and it was solid enough to stay. Same with other technologies. I agree - the Flash app server is not out yet and we really won't know the details until it is out - but if it is as suspected, it could open a whole new door to the future of web apps and the possibilities there in. How much will it cost? Who knows - but now that Generator is caput and it was so expensive for a large number of uses, perhaps they will want to make up that difference with this server. I would suspect, as well, that one could still do the same thing with their own app server and scripting. The benefit here is making Flash into a direct UI for the server and cutting out the slow and annoying HTTP tier. We'll see...

caithness massiv
    so are you saying that there's a possibility of the JSP, ASP, PHP, Perl tier disappearing alltogether ??

that would be huge

It seems not only possible, but immenent (excuse my spelling). From that article and what it seems Macromedia wants to do and says it is doing, that Flash would not be able to directly communicate to the server alone - no need for requests and HTTP headers and POSTs and GETs and blah blah blah. This is partially possible right now in Flash 5 with the XML Sockets and a socket server - direct connections.

This is huge indeed. Example is an app our company is making using Java technology (J2EE) and Swing on the UI. Swing is a fat client but affords a direct connection to the server tier. Flash would, as it seems, boasts this same ability as Swing while being a thin client.

Read the article - he explains some of it, most of it I posted though.

Originally posted by Musicman

Questions that remain open: will the mx server run on a real server system, and how much will it cost?
    What do you consider a "real server system"?

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com

Mike,

Glad you're here. Can you offer any clarification to this topic? Any details would be great! Thanks!

Hi Mike,

unix - in its many flavors

Of course unix servers can be compromised too, but I consider them more secure

Musicman

Originally posted by Musicman
    Hi Mike,

unix - in its many flavors

i hear you. ColdFusion is avaliable on linux and solaris.

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com

caithness massiv

very much off the subject :

mike... would you consider being a moderator for this new MX forum???

we'd love it if we could have a presence from a MM rep on the boards... especially with this new and very exciting release of what seems to be a revolutionary product

anyway, if you have any questions, comments, etc... please let us know!

Would, by any chance, this app server unlock the vidio and audio conferencing aspect of MX?

Also, I would guess it would be expensive, and wouldn't you need to get a rack somewhere to keep it up (or does Macromedia take care of that, I wondered about that for ColdFusion too, please tell me (it costs enough for that anyway )).

My 2p (PS, like my new footer? more to come..)