A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reflecting water 3ds max

.. ok well i have been reading tutorials and i made a landscape with water, and some text on it with bevel... now the water reflects the text, when im asking is, is it possible to reflect something else into the water? say a picture? i dont know if this is possible, i hope it is tho, thanks for your help

yes it is possible.

yes, thank you, now some help on how to do it ? thanks

thats what i get for opening my mouth
    let me turn on my other computer ill get back to you ASAP.
    so you want to reflect a picture in the water.
    1. do you want the reflection only to be in the water
    with-out puting a plane with a pic in the scene.
    2. you want to do it like ex: a person looking into the water and having their reflection on the water.
    ??

ok. goto the material editor (were texture is apply) and the texture that you have asign to the water (say blueglass or whatever you choosen)go to the maps roll out then the list rolls down. choose reflection button and add the picture you want. sorry about my mis-pells

1.open material editor
    2. it has 6 main buttons
    -shader basic parameters
    -blinn basic parameter
    -extended parameter
    -maps
    -dynamics properties
    3. choose maps
    4. choose reflection (from the maps roll out)
    5. look for your picture you want to reflect.
    [Edited by eag16 on 03-10-2002 at 02:45 AM]

hmm, well acutaly i use reflection with raytrace... ok what i want is, i have text over the water, and i want it to be so like it looks the reflection of a text is a person... ill post i pic of what did (im just learning and mabie that would help out

i really dont like to post up other link to other websites but this is a good one:
    http://www.3dcafe.com

here are 2 tutorial of water scene this might help. if not ill help you some more.

http://3dcafe.com/asp/tutorials/max/water/water.asp

http://3dcafe.com/asp/tutorials/max/...tersurface.asp

Yea i know 3dcafe .. thanks for your help, ill figure this out, i was thinking apply my pic to a plane, and put it in the water with some ripple effect, so it looks like its reflectiong, but thanks for all ur help

just in case this is something i did

http://home.collegeclub.com/16EAG16/files/eag16.jpg

i has a reflection like a mirror.
    if you want to know how i did any of it let me know.

Wow i have lots to learn in 3d max, but here is what i made (my 2nd time in 3ds max ) anyways see the reflection in the water from the text,well instead of that, could i reflect a picture of someone (sorry for the big file size, too tired to go back and render in jpg, or convert)

http://www.geocities.com/soul_raver187/terrian.bmp

it cant find you page. is says "This page is not available"
    i also try to copy and pasted

Oh my bad, here http://www.geocities.com/soul_raver187/LANDSCAPE.HTML ...im going to sleep now, ill talk to you tomorrow, and hopefully i can learn some new stuff from 3ds max, i see your good, mabie ill learn something new nite

simple to do. well for me. incase you dont know how to make the white transparent. open you photo editor software you use. open your guy picture. now you need to make the white part black (white part around him) so now you have the guy in color and the rest of the pic black. now save it. Second thing you need is make a black and white pic so open the same pic againg (the color guy and the black background) and now you paint the guy white all of him (head, hand, pants, shoes, ect.) So now you have the guy in white color and the rest black. now since you already asign the texture of the guy to your plain. reload or add the new pic of the guy in color with the black bg. now go back to the the main material (the one with the six roll down buttons) and open the roll out MAPS , now choose the opacity butoon and add the other pic (black and white) and there now render and see that the extra white is gone (well not gone just transparent) so all you see is the person. Last thing you have to do is rotate the person standing well if you want him to be standing (up like the letters). render and now you should have the reflection in the water. oh wow this is long. . well im going to go to sleep too. have to make a webpage 4 pages long for homework and also do my astronomy. so im going to be busssssssyyy today. ill try to check in to see if you have any question or email me at ea_1_6@yahoo.com

thanks!!!... well since ur in such a helping mood .. ok you seen the pic, now see the "hills" and stuff... they are just colored green, how do i go about making some textures or something to make it look real.... and any other sug. to make it look more real is helpful, rem i just started using 3ds max... but i know the interface and all that stuff.. once again thanks for ur help

Ok ok one more thing ... i made a little movie, and i rendered the whole thing, 80 frames, now when i run it in windows media player it goes really fast, i mean too fast??.. cya

hey sorry that i cant help you today. need to finish homework. i finish 50% of it alread chech it out.

http://home.collegeclub.com/EAG16fla...lass/home.html

ill help you tomor. i need to finish my astronomy hw.

it goes fast because u render only 80 frames.

television/movies go about 29-30 frames a sec.
    cartoon in the other hand go about 12-15 frames a sec.
    in your movie just add more frames and in the "time track" i think thats what is call just strech the animation.
    add like 200 frames it should give you about 6-8 sec long.
    ill help tomorow whit the hill texture. me go finish homework.

its ok lol, nice, did you do all the button pics? thats really good, well anyways, im going to sleep, but yea, when you are not buisy mabie you can help me out, little by little, and soon i will be making good stuff in 3ds max .. oh and yea i got the movie, 11 sec, its "kind-of" good, ill send you the movie and mabie you can tell me what i can do, to make it better, anyways, cya

HATED

frankly i am getting sick of seeing ur little cupid thingy shootin, could u possibly change it?

i have change my footer regg1234. hope this is more to your liking. if not to bad.

souldraver187...yeah send me the file

i got file. had a lil'trouble making the avi since it was a zip format and either you forgot to tell me that i need it to remove the ".zip" extension or i miss it but either way i got and i saw it. yeah i manage to get every working find. i saw your movie and pic. once again ill help you tomorow. need some sleep. long day for me today.