A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: <<< your input on next version of swish please >>>

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: Hi Roger

Originally posted by Jerry T

Objects inside a sprite do not stay centered. If you need to zoom in the scrollers disappear and you cant zoom in on objects within the sprite.
    Can you please email me a simple SWI and instructions that illustrate this point?

I'd like to see it's performance issues with WIN 98 addressed so that I can actually use it.

As is now it runs so horribly slow I rarely use it.

Wow been a LONG time since ive posted here...My input: forms

Just 2,

1. Import FLA files
    2. Allow Data Entry Design
    (Like a Box where they can put in E-MAIL Address click submit)

Thank you.
    -sapphire

Some of these have been mentioned before, but they are also important to me:

1. resizable text files - as a spelling freak, and a terrible typist, I would like to be able to edit text in an editor with a spell checker, and then import it into Swish and have the line lengths adjust to the size of a text box. As it is at the moment the utility of the copy and paste feature is almost negated by the time required to reformat the text lines.

2. as had been said, get rid of the popup box for the place effect - it is really intrusive - I would actually go this one step further and allow the user to customize which popups appear on adding an effect and which do not (and where they appear)

3. I really like the idea of making fade in/fade out and slide in/slide out bidirectional effects - perhaps they should be similar to those effects that have a start, middle and end, except in this case the start would control the length of slide in, the middle would be the length on stage and the end would be the length of slide out (same applies ot fade in/fade out)

4. ability to import svg files

5. ability to apply properties such as color or transparency to multiple objects at once - for example, if I import a movie that has 30 shapes in it, I would like to be able to recolor all 30 shapes at once

6. a library facility has been mentioned previously - I would add to it a script clip library that can be expanded, much as the sfx libraries for effects, but which comes with the most requested scripts

7. a directory popup when filling in the name of a movie to be loaded

8. more user control over default settings in general

9. image/swf preview prior to import

10. (and this is stretching it as I am not sure exactly what is involved) built-in resizing of raster files using bicubic methods - has anyone ever tried doing this on the fly so that effects that resize these images do not look so cheesy?

What complaints do I have - no major ones - both the software and the support, including the community that exists at FlashKit, Total-Impact, Wow-Factor, MySwish and other related sites, is unique, in my experience.

Cheers,

Flick

My Wish List

Got to say Roger well done..it must be a pain listening to everyones problems regarding swish but hey at least you will know what needs doing to suit everyones needs..

i have one problem (as im not greedy)!!!! i find swish very useful..

1.True scrollable scrollbars, like a website you can a scroll up and down, and the graphics and text move with the bar. As far as i understand you can only do this with one block of text or graphics and that is it. Like some cover disks you get on a front cover of a magazine some of them have a stonealone menu driven system that has been created in flash with true scrolbars. for example:-

1.windows
    2.swish
    3.drivers

on the menu you can go only see six (for example) and you can scroll down to see 7 and 8. each item has a FS command imbeded with in each item to execute an exe (or whatever) file when clicked upon.

Do you see what i mean? sorry to go on a bit but i wanted to explain my wish!

Cheers Roger

[Edited by John1234 on 03-12-2002 at 11:19 AM]

By no means am I an expert in Swish, but...

1: Only use one instance of Swish while working with multiple movies. Sometimes I work with more than one and wish it was set up more like say... Paint Shop Pro where I can have multiple pictures open, but can minimize/maximize the ones I want to edit. Overall, wouldn't that help with the amount of resources Swish would use, or am I mistaken?

2: Audio options... to be able to set a loop # even if I want it faded in... ie. fade in the first time then loop at full volume.

3: To have Swish automatically stop when the play button has been pressed and I go to edit something in the timeline. Sometimes I forget it's in play mode and Swish starts generating the SWF and kinda freezes up. Very tedious when it is a large movie. Maybe I just need to pull my head out of my arse and remember to press stop before editing.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by wcoleman

1. resizable text files
    So you'd like an option for a text box that wraps the text to fit the box, rather than changing the size of the box to fit the text
    2. get rid of the popup box for the place effect
    Done for next major update
    3. making fade in/fade out and slide in/slide out bidirectional effects
    So you want a single effect that slides/fade in ... stay for a while .. and then slides/fades out rather than separate fade in + fade out effects. Hmmm .. maybe better might be a wizard or macro thing .. ie some way to place multiple effects with one command
    5. ability to apply properties to multiple objects at once
    That's tricky user-interface wise .. if you've got multiple object selected, then how do you display the panel that shows the properties of the selected object, and how do you then change them. Maybe a format copier/painter (similar to MSWord) would be good .. where you can copy and paste the properties of text and shapes etc, but not alter the content (eg. can copy and paste font and color etc for text, but not the letters; or line and fill styles but not shapes)
    7. a directory popup when filling in the name of a movie to be loaded
    But when the movie plays its on a web-serve (mostly) and so you cannot really know what files will be there. One could browser the files in the folder that one is going to be exporting SWF to (or should it be the one used when testing in player) .. but if you go to another folder then you'll end up with absolute file name like "C:/myswfs/xxx.swf" .. and you don't want that to be in your final movie. That would cause more problems than it saves.
    8. more user control over default settings in general
    9. image/swf preview prior to import
    10. (and this is stretching it as I am not sure exactly what is involved) built-in resizing of raster files using bicubic methods - has anyone ever tried doing this on the fly so that effects that resize these images do not look so cheesy?
    Cannot do this in SWF format

[Edited by roger_onslow on 03-12-2002 at 07:29 PM]

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: My Wish List

Originally posted by John1234
    1.True scrollable scrollbars
    You can do that already (with scroll arrows rather than bars). More features for it in next update though

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by Xandur
    1: Only use one instance of Swish while working with multiple movies
    File|New Window does that .. one instance of SWiSH running but multiple windows open. If we had multiple SWI files inside on SWiSH window, it would get confusing as to which SWI file you were working (eg. there's be only timeline.. which SWI does it belong to) Having separate applicaiton windows means you know which things belong to which SWI .. and you can tile your application windows or cascade etc to see two or more SWI file simulatneously
    2: Audio options... to be able to set a loop # even if I want it faded in... ie. fade in the first time then loop at full volume.
    Done in next major update
    3: To have Swish automatically stop when the play button has been pressed and I go to edit something in the timeline. Sometimes I forget it's in play mode and Swish starts generating the SWF and kinda freezes up. Very tedious when it is a large movie. Maybe I just need to pull my head out of my arse and remember to press stop before editing.
    This is actually a feature of SWIS H.. that you don't have to stop playing while editing .. so you can see your changes in how a movie plays immediately while playing. Perhaps a compromise is to allow Play Scene or Play Effect to automatically keep playing during edits, but have Play (whole movie) stop and not restart. I'll think on that one.

Here's another one ...

I would like the ability to change the text properties of a word or certain words in an entire text block ... For example, I would like to make a word BOLD without the whole text block becoming bold ...

Does that make sense ?

Peaces,
    Cadence

when's the next major update coming out?

btw...kudos to rogerO on this thread, and the answers and tolerance

[QUOTE]Originally posted by roger_onslow
    Originally posted by SouthJersey53
    Some of these were mentioned before, but I wanted to add my "vote" to them, plus a couple of "new" wants:
    1) Place action should just happen - no need for pop-up.
    That sounds fair .. then you'd double-click on the place effect if you really want to change settings. Also could probably now popup the settings dialog for a Move effect if one is already in frame preview mode
    2) On fade-out autmoatically remove
    3) ability to slide grid (adjust left or right to align with on object) and/or be able to scale grid lines to "percent" % instead of just pixels.
    are you saying you want guilde lines that you can place and move?
    YES!! That is what I am saying!
    For percent are you saying you'd like to be able to have grids at (say) every 10% of stage width/height rather than even 20 pixels?
    Exactly!!
    4) e-mail notification when a new build is realesed explaining what changed
    that's more part of our admin/support rather than the program itself .. and I know that is something we're looking at doing. Also thinking (in the future) of having SWiSH automatically check if a newer version is available and letting you know (have to be wary of people who then think it is spyware).
    5) When viewing scene, be able to chose where on time line to start instead of always having to start at frame 0 (testing purposes)
    You can already select a range of effects and have that play. And if you want you can work-around by placing a dummy object (like an offstage rectangle) with a dummy move effect the you can size to cover the number of frames you want to preview. I know its not as nice, but is a way to do it currently if that is what you want.
    Yes, I do this trick, but being able to click on the timeline at frame 1256 would be nicer (this is a wish list!!)

I posted a response asking for better drawing tools, i.e lighting and an extrude/bevel function (similar to those found in RealDraw Pro).

Was my post overlooked, or ignored?

artgeek99

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by artgeek99
    I posted a response asking for better drawing tools, i.e lighting and an extrude/bevel function (similar to those found in RealDraw Pro).
    Yes .. saw it .. just didn't post a comment

I don't envisage us having bitmap editing tools in SWiSH just yet .. doing lighting and bevels etc with SWF vector shapes is tricky .. we'll see what can be done.

Is it just me who uses the drawing tools? I tried to create some large letters recently by drawing them with separate lines and found it annoying that when I clicked on the line button and drew a line, I had to click on the line button again to draw the next line (i.e., I couldn't draw one line then simply click where I wanted the next line to start, without having to re-select the line button!)

Could you make it so that you can double click the button so it stays on that option until you select another button (much like the format painter in Microsoft Word).

Just a thought.

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

Regards

Fitshase

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by fitshase
    Could you make it so that you can double click the button so it stays on that option until you select another button (much like the format painter in Microsoft Word).
    MS Word behaves like that too. I'll see if I can do that.

Also (in case you dind't know) you can draw connected straight lines by using the pen (bezier) tool.

Taper Boy for the Prophets of the Funk
    ok...my 2 cents...

Features---
    1. Guide lines (horizontal & vertical) w/ an info box giving x/y coordinates of them. I invision two types...one that would represent the main movie, and another set that would be specific to the individual sprite. Within the sprite you would be able to see the guidelines for the movie (if the guidelines for the movie were within the area defined by the sprite). This would help tremendously with lining up sprites / objects in a movie and within sprites.

2. Handling of the music souds better...as of now I frequently 'lose' where I've placed an audio clip (maybe this falls aling the lines of creating a libraary of objects / audio clips that would be reusable over the course of different files). At the least maybe another tab named 'audio' that would show the same options available when you select the 'play sound' or similar actions. I have to give this one more thought.

Features I've seen mentioned that I like --
    1. export to .gif
    2. Input boxes (therefore the ability to accept / pass variables).
    3. Collision / drag n' drop (yeah, I'm unique!!)
    4. prescripted javascripts.....BUT with the ability to edit / enhance them (maybe this is so everybody can stop posting "how do I popup a new window without the borders")

there are more, I just feel like these are the most in need.

Annoyances --

none?
    most have been mentioned...the place one is #1 on my list.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by fitshase

Roger?

has the 'tease' stuff...............ie drag and drop and if near, if random etc. been put on hold indefinitely?

I for one would at least like some sort of time frame for when we may see this stuff. If you guys are waiting to release this all at once even at a price that is fine by me so long as I know whether the wait will be a month or six months or longer?

Creating new and interesting effects with what we currently have is getting harder and harder and frankly I think its close to being tapped. We need some new stuff Rog.

~Jer~

Oooops, wouldnt want to stray off topic. I also would like the ability to lock objects in place, actionscript.
    [Edited by Jerry T on 03-14-2002 at 09:33 AM]