A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: <<< your input on next version of swish please >>>

Originally posted by roger_onslow responding to a post by wcoleman
    1. resizable text files

So you'd like an option for a text box that wraps the text to fit the box, rather than changing the size of the box to fit the text
    yes

3. making fade in/fade out and slide in/slide out bidirectional effects

So you want a single effect that slides/fade in ... stay for a while .. and then slides/fades out rather than separate fade in + fade out effects. Hmmm .. maybe better might be a wizard or macro thing .. ie some way to place multiple effects with one command
    either way seems fine

7. a directory popup when filling in the name of a movie to be loaded

But when the movie plays its on a web-serve (mostly) and so you cannot really know what files will be there. One could browser the files in the folder that one is going to be exporting SWF to (or should it be the one used when testing in player) .. but if you go to another folder then you'll end up with absolute file name like "C:/myswfs/xxx.swf" .. and you don't want that to be in your final movie. That would cause more problems than it saves.
    I agree - I always manage my files on both the local machine and server so that this would not be a problem, but others might not do it this way.

As others have said thanks for this thread Roger. I did remember one more that was discussed some time ago and that is an action onmouseevent play to frame__ (and stop). I can't remember if this was said to be possible or not. If it was there it would greatly simplify making tell targets that allowed sprites to finish a cycle following a second mouseevent.

Cheers,

Flick

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: Roger?

Originally posted by Jerry T has the 'tease' stuff...............ie drag and drop and if near, if random etc. been put on hold indefinitely?
    Yes.. that's been in the major update for a long time now (since when I first teased)

Most of what is noted here would be great.
    I would like the ability to create a preloader that can accuratly have the % loaded show (Either in numbers or a bar)
    I know it can be done, but make it simpler to create, like an automatic preloader creator.
    I know this would probably be hard and not cost effective to implement, but just my 2 cents.

Love Swish by the way, just love it.

The ability to add/delete frames from individual objects and not just the entire movie itself. This is a major annoyance. I'll add more later...

Thanks Roger for your continued support,

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by Left Nut of Thresh
    The ability to add/delete frames from individual objects and not just the entire movie itself. This is a major annoyance. I'll add more later...
    Already done for next major update

Taper Boy for the Prophets of the Funk
    still pondering over mine roger?

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by persaltier
    ok...my 2 cents...
    1. Guide lines
    Good idea .. don't know if it will make it in
    2. Handling of the music souds better .. I have to give this one more thought.
    Same here

I'll ask this again - I don't want to be pushy - I'm just not sure it is within the abilities of SWF ...

And, I'll have to illustrate what I mean ... Take the next paragraph for example ...

Hi, ROGER ... I love SWiSH ... It's really a Great program ...

Now, as SWiSH is now - I'd have to leave blank spaces in the paragraph and add the bold and italic as seperate text objects ... I'd love to be able to change the properties of certain words in the text block, without it affecting the rest of the text ... Ie. Just like a Word Processing program ...

Just an idea

Peaces,
    Cad

Oh Miracle Man!!!

Dear Swishies,

Ok, it's making me money already. "Howdjadothat"! is what I get asked now. I smile and let em think I slaved for days over Flash.

Anyway, you want to know what I think so here it is.

The Good
    1. Dynamic Sizing, rescaling, etc.
    2. Simple Conversions
    3. Quick Tests for code
    4. OK set of text effects

The Bad
    1. Text tool, need external source file capability. I want word wrap!!!!
    2. Need additional text effects, font shaping, 3D, drop Shadow, Lighting...
    3. Library, boy do I miss that.
    4. Once you assign a button to an object, you cant add shapes and MOVE them, they stay where you created them, ex. to over state, you want to have a text block show up, but when you create one under "over" state, you can move it into position
    5. Actionscript, namely math functions.. Controlling Physics, stuff like that.
    6. Deconstructor, turning a symbol animation back into a movie frame by frame.
    7. Optimizer, namely winzip to load and auto extract and execute. Man have you seen how small a zipped swf is!!!!
    But there is no way to see how big the file is becoming as you are making it. Need a performance meter as the build is going on.
    8. Master project template where you can keep track of numerous projects for a client as you build them and collect/save them together, sharing libraries and stuff.
    9. teeny tiny timeline option
    10. Web Safe COlor checker!
    11. Double Spacing tool, Kearning, Character Spacing, borders options.
    12. Auto Scroll Box using external text file. with choice of scroll bar options, this would create a masked text box, scroll bar controlled with No Hassle!
    13. Library of Menus, pick one: drop down, side bar slide, rotary dial, touchtone keypad, speech recognition, etc...

all for now,

over and out

Doug

Per #9 and #10 ...

You can change the size of the Timeline (in the timeline window are little "<-->" and vertical arrows - click on them and you can choose (Narrow, Normal, or Wide) ...

In the Shapes panel, there is the option to choose only Web-Safe colors. Or, in the "Tools" menu - select "Preferences" - and you can tell it to convert colors to the nearest web-safe color.

Peaces,
    Cadence

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: Oh Miracle Man!!!

Originally posted by dougmarlowe
    1. Text tool, need external source file capability. I want word wrap!!!!
    You can drag and drop text files into SWiSH from explorer and copy and paste from clibboard to Text panel.
    Wrapping to fit rectangle is on the wishlist
    4. Once you assign a button to an object, you cant add shapes and MOVE them, they stay where you created them, ex. to over state, you want to have a text block show up, but when you create one under "over" state, you can move it into position
    Not true .. you can add things to buttons and then move them around within the button. Just don't do it in frame preview because it makes no sense to do it there
    5. Actionscript, namely math functions.. Controlling Physics, stuff like that.
    We'll have to add some support ourselves for trig because SWF4 Flash doesn't have trig functions.
    6. Deconstructor, turning a symbol animation back into a movie frame by frame.
    Why? And isn't that what Frame Preview does? Or am I missing the point here?
    7. Optimizer, namely winzip to load and auto extract and execute. Man have you seen how small a zipped swf is!!!!
    But there is no way to see how big the file is becoming as you are making it. Need a performance meter as the build is going on.
    Use WinZip to make a self-extractor. The thing is you need a player at the other end (when you unzip) to play it.
    8. Master project template where you can keep track of numerous projects for a client as you build them and collect/save them together, sharing libraries and stuff.
    Use folders in Windows Explorer to organise your work. I don't think this level of organisation belongs in SWiSH itself
    9. teeny tiny timeline option
    Already got it in SWiSH v2.0
    10. Web Safe COlor checker!
    Already got it in SWiSH v2.0
    11. Double Spacing tool, Kearning, Character Spacing, borders options.
    Already have kerning and line spacing contorl in SWiSH v2.0
    12. Auto Scroll Box using external text file. with choice of scroll bar options, this would create a masked text box, scroll bar controlled with No Hassle!
    13. Library of Menus, pick one: drop down, side bar slide, rotary dial, touchtone keypad, speech recognition, etc...
    A library of prebuilt SWI file (like we have SFX files now) would do this

Can we maybe avoid annoying, iritating problems like your layout panel's top bar (so you can drag it) from dissapearing from your screen?

MIKE

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by 98svt
    Can we maybe avoid annoying, iritating problems like your layout panel's top bar (so you can drag it) from dissapearing from your screen?
    How on earth did you get it into that state?

Can you give me some simple instructions on how to make it go crazy like tha?

In any case, you can still drag the panels around even it the title bar is not present.

Move the mouse over one edge of the panel (as though you were going to resize it). Instead push and hold the control key and drag. Now, instead of resizing, you can drag the panel back to a more sensible position.

You see, when I get to working with swish, I get crazy..
    I throw the panels around, all sorts of wierd stuff. Thta's what swish has turned me into. I abuse my programs now...

Mike

Fixed.

Lib's Wish List

I have four primary requests. Thanks, Roger, for soliciting our input.

1. The ability to select default text attributes, including font, size, and color such that the settings are not lost from one update to the next.

2. The ability to replace one image with another such that the new image IS NOT resized and reshaped to fit the old. I realize that this is a problem with Flash treating images as shapes, HOWEVER, SWiSH should be able to handle this internally by taking the steps for us that we would have to take manually, i.e., deleting the old shape and inserting the new while retaining all its attributes including effects and placement in the scene or sprite.

3. The ability to copy and paste a vertical block of effects. In this example

I want to be able to select the move and fade effects for both A1 and A2, and then paste them into B1 and B2 as a block. Although the example provided is greatly simplified, and would be nearly as easy to accomplish by copying and pasting the effects one at a time, the feature I'm asking for would greatly enhance using SWiSH to author presentations where there are many more such objects and effects per set.

4. Do NOT automatically insert an effect when the dialog box opens. Rather, wait until we have decided for ourselves such things as how many frames it should be. Maybe give us an Update Now button or something. (And along these lines, yes, the dialog box for the place effect is annoying.)

[edited for spelling]
    [Edited by Libertarian on 03-16-2002 at 07:20 AM]

As a corollary to number 4, allow us to specify whether our insertion of an effect is "soft" or "hard", i.e., whether it should simply lay the effect across the specified number of frames without otherwise affecting the timeline, or whether it should push the timeline right by that number.

Originally posted by Libertarian
    Lib's Wish List

I have four primary requests. Thanks, Roger, for soliciting our input.

1. The ability to select default text attributes, including font, size, and color such that the settings are not lost from one update to the next.

2. The ability to replace one image with another such that the new image IS NOT resized and reshaped to fit the old. I realize that this is a problem with Flash treating images as shapes, HOWEVER, SWiSH should be able to handle this internally by taking the steps for us that we would have to take manually, i.e., deleting the old shape and inserting the new while retaining all its attributes including effects and placement in the scene or sprite.

I want to be able to select the move and fade effects for both A1 and A2, and then paste them into B1 and B2 as a block. Although the example provided is greatly simplified, and would be nearly as easy to accomplish by copying and pasting the effects one at a time, the feature I'm asking for would greatly enhance using SWiSH to author presentations where there are many more such objects and effects per set.

4. Do NOT automatically insert an effect when the dialog box opens. Rather, wait until we have decided for ourselves such things as how many frames it should be. Maybe give us an Update Now button or something. (And along these lines, yes, the dialog box for the place effect is annoying.)

[edited for spelling]
    [Edited by Libertarian on 03-16-2002 at 07:20 AM]
    AMEN and Hallelujah! Especially to #4.

Under a tips thread, I believe, someone suggested using
    "On Release" rather than "On Press" because it gave
    the user an opportunity to change his or her mind. Otherwise they're committed to the action.

Likewise, UNDO is an option, but, wouldn't the easier
    choice simply be NOT to commit UNTIL the Accept or
    ENTER or OK key is pressed rather than REGARDLESS?

If we change our minds we have to UNDO first.

Indeed, why not, just NOT enter it until, like "On
    Release", we have commited to the choice?

GREAT IDEA!

PS. I've asked for # 3 as well, quite some time
    ago. You explain it much better than I did.

Good luck!

Preloading in SWiSH

I could care less about drag and drop and other worthless "additions." The highest priority for me is scripting. Not scripting in general but the testing of a movie loaded or other methods of preloading. If I can't preload my content accurately, then I can't build a site using SWiSH. Of course, I can have a loop animation playing until the site is done loaded, but that is not the purpose of Flash movies. SWiSH really needs a way to accurately preload instead of the poor If Frames Loaded command. It is my opinion, that if I cannot accurately preload my website and give the users an indication of bytes loaded or percentage (without them falling to sleep), then why do I need SWiSH. Many people are using Flash to create preloaders for their SWiSH sites. I would rather do a whole job in a single program, and maybe others would like the same. It doesn't have to be full blown scripting, maybe just options to help preloading. I just think that what good is drag and drop if you can't tell the 56k user that he has x out of 100% or whatever remaining to the see the movie. How many times is a user going to drag in drop compared to preload?

Do you have any opinions? Are any of these ideas possible?

automated color sceme for button states

I am currently doing a map on which you click on the abbreviation of the state to see retail locations.

All the state abbrev's are buttons....that's 50 times I have to go in and change the color of the over & down states.

I have no idea if this is possible, but it would be wonderful for this and every other time I create a button...

In one of the panels for a movie or scene to automate the color of the button states. So I would enter the rgb values for across the movie/scene and it would automate the colors for the up, down and over states!!!!!

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by Libertarian
    Done for next major update .. remembers last settings between runs.
    Notemenu/toolbar/panels still need to be reset IF there is any change to menu/toolbar/panels otherwise new menu items etc won't be visible .. but other settings should remain)
    2. The ability to replace one image with another
    I'll look at making that an option .. to resize the shape to fit the image on import, or to resize the image to fit the shape.
    Still tricky .. still on the wishlist .. we'll see
    OK .. what I've done is to be able to place a frame with whatever number of frames you want WITHOUT popping up the dialog box at all. With the new update you can right-press and drag to higlight some frames and then when you release the right-mouse button the effect menu comes up, you pick your effect, and it gets placed with the number of frames you selected and there is no dialog box (if you want to change setting, double-click on it afterwards).

You can use the same technique to insert or delete a number of frames from an object's timeline row (or from the whole scene if you right-click-drag in the scene row)

If you right-click without dragging to select frames you get the default duration and the dialog box still pops up (might even stop that popup as well).