A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: best way to preload ext movies?

What is the best way to load an ext movie into a target clip and using a preloader animation from the main movie?

I would take a look in the movies > flash 5 section on this site. Look for the file called "Preloader". That is great example of how to preload a file based on it's true file size. Use something like that in a movie clip in your main base file. Make the target of the preloaded movie clip a var you can send to it when you load a ext file. I hope that makes sense.

thanks

Maybe you could help me with the script. I have a movie called "a1" that I want to load into a target of a1p, now that clip called a1p is located on the 4th layer 3levels deep on my main movie. a1p is on the frame that I use
    stop ();
    loadMovie ("a1.swf", "a1p");
    loadVariables ("a1.swf", "a1p");

On my a1 movie, I have a blank 1st frame then a 2nd with
    stop ();
    a1 = "active";
    //both not expressions
    To check wether a1 = "active" I have a clip on the main movie by a1p, that plays to frame 10 with actions

if (_root.a1p.a1 = "active") {
    stop ();
    tellTarget ("/.../..../preloader") {
    gotoAndStop ("preload_0");
    }
    } else {
    gotoAndPlay (1);
    }

This doesnt seem to work.
    The movie loads, but the preloader doesnt target off. And Ive tried similar scripts where it would target it off, but would not obey the else clause if I made the var untrue.
    [Edited by Mar1boro on 09-23-2000 at 01:15 PM]

Now that I think about it. There may not be a way to preload a clip that was targeted into another clip. I think you may just need to load the ext movie into another level in order to do such a thing. If you are worried about placement just copy some of the frames from your main movie and paste them into your ext movie. Mark the pasted layers as guides. Make sure the ext movie is the same size as the main one. That is how I do it.