A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: !!READ THIS IF YOU EVER USED HIGH FRAME RATE IN FLASH 4!!

I have been experiencing "freeze up" problems with Netscape. I thought the problem was with multiple flash movies on one page... but macromedia tech support concludes the following (and this affects ALOT of you folks out there!)

"...The movie was probably built with a high frame rate, which did not pose a problem for the Flash 4 player because it would simply not play movies at ludicrous speeds (like 150 fps). The Flash 5 player is able to handle animation at these speeds but playing these movies will suck up system resources, causing the Netscape to "crash".

This problem only affects Netscape. Use IE to view pages with this type of content. These Flash movies need to be rebuilt at a reasonable frame rate."

Why would you even have the need for any thing faster the say 30 fps? The human eye can only catch so much, everthing else is wasted.

In Flash 4 I built my movies at 40fps: I use a lot of streaming music and on slower machines important visual frames would sometime be lost. When I upped the framerate to 40 this problem lessened quite a bit, yes slower machines still skip visual frames keeping up with the music but with the higher frame rate it wasn't as noticable, the important visuals were now able to be seen. I'm sure there was a better way to "fix" this problem but this is what I came up with and it worked for me.
    'Course now I've had to go back and put all my movies down a few fps because thay all play stupidly fast now hehehe.

Phreek

Here's why:

Here's why:

If you program something like a game, where your visuals are all controlled via actionscript (rather than animated on your timeline), you want to reduce the frame to frame delay as much as possible, so that your actionscript is executing as fast as possible.

Think about it, if you want your objects updated at 30 frames per second, and the screen is only updated upon "exit" of the frame, then you have to compensate for the time it takes to execute the actionscript as well.

Alot of people would just set the fps to something like 120 which pretty much guaranteed Flash would execute everything as fast as possible. Since Flash 4 player had a built in maximum, it didn't matter that much. Now here we are with Flash5 which DOESN'T have a maximum speed, and thus Flash5 TRIES to run these old movies set to 120fps at that speed. It tries... and fails, seizing up system resources (on a medium to low-end machine. I don't know how high-end systems handle it)

RB