A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Official Wildform Flix 2.5 Wishlist

The Minister of No Crap

Alright guys, I'm starting the Flix 2.5 Wishlist. Here is where you can post all your suggestions/comments/additions/requests/complaints/etc. that you would like changed for the next version of Flix.

This list will be reviewed by Wildform. Last time we did the Flix 2.0 Wishlist, Wildform put virutual every request made in the new version of Flix. So your opinion counts.

-scott
    http://scottmanning.com/

Am I first?

K then ....

Please can we have Flix do the following:

* Save the SWF in video players. That is, players with Play, Pause, Rewind buttons. No more Flash .Fla's and "go make it yourself" please! This would be a necessary option in a program that makes videos.

* The user should be able to choose from a selection of template HTML pages to save the Flix SWF in. Already positioned where you want in the page, a little area for a title and the obligatory controls; in short, a Web page with a Flix video that's ready for uploading to the web! No more "do the HTML yourself" please! Using what your product makes on the Web should be an obvious and primary concern. What do we do with Flix videos, the washing up? No, they are all destined for the Web or CDs .. aha! Now there's a thought:

* What about a publish-to-CD-ROM thingy? Again, with a choice of interface templates with control buttons. For reference, have a look at this new feature in Cyberlink Power Director 2 Pro!

* Make the Flix Help files more comprehensive. Time there was a detailed pdf Flix manual to look at.

Thank you,
    Duir.

Wishlist..good idea

Okay then..

* Full integration with SWFX to add titling ability to Flix

* A basic video editor with transitions and effects

* Export for CD High Quality like original

* Export first frame as loadmovie smartclip to make it
    easier to position in FLA file.

* Ability to transform perspective, skew ..not just
    rectangle playback window!

Agree 100% with the "players" idea.

The standard players for Flix are no good. They're odd sizes, full of irrelevant fluffy effects and bad typography, and difficult to even tell where to insert your own file path.

What we need (we being people who are not Flash experts) is a simple selection of players which you can directly export to. Standard sizes (320-240, 160-120) and a simple design.

And if you want to modify the player skin then they should be clearly labelled: knobs, main panel colour, main typeface etc

Of course these players must also incorporate pre-loaders.

There are other things I'd like, but this player-preloader issue is so much more vital than anything else I'll just stick to that.

I think by making this reasonably complex aspect of web-video delivery SIMPLE Wildform will capture a lot of users who look at Flash MX and go "ahhh....hmmm will I be able to do this....?" Instead they'll look at Flix and think: "No need for lessons, books, and begging visits to experts here, I can do this myself - today."

OK, I couldn't resist, I had to add another few points:

The integration with SWFX is a GREAT idea !

Also the idea of basic video editing is good. I'm often using 10 - 15 second avi clips taken from a digital camera. Most of the time they're pretty well what I want, but the ability to just trim a little from the start and end would be great. At present I have to take the clip into Premiere, do the trim and then re-export. That process takes about three time longer than the Flix encoding. Of course once you get into editing functions the big question becomes "where to stop?".

It's exciting to see that Wildform are already trying to think of improvements to version 2. What a company !

ps: when I had a technical problem with Flix they responded immediately and solved the problem with no hassles. If only every company was so good.

So I'm not just a 'voice in the Wildformness' ha ha, thanks Spirit of 45!

Titling ability is a good compromise. I prefer the idea of being able to import a pre-made Swish or Flash SWF intro. From a marketing viewpoint I don't think Wildform would be able to do it. 1) People would just buy Flix to get two programs in one. 2) Might as well just dump SWFX if they did that. The customer base for SWFX must be huge by now. 3) They would have to jack up the price of Flix, just for principle No, they could do it, but not call it anything related to SWFX. It's just that anyone with eyes could spot the SWFX integration straight away.

With "import SWF for intro" it gives us more flexibilty.

And NO, NO, NO to having to do anythyng in Flash. Flix must not send us to any other program to do things with .FLAs!!! I don't speak Macromedish, nor does anybody else on this planet

Se you on the stage in an instance of this day, follow my lingo? Ha ha .. come on!!! Why can't they speak the language every other ****** program speaks?

Duir.

big wildform fan here..

These guys are great, hope they keep up the good work..

wish list: be able to import .rm files into flix?

especially a batch convert function... eg I'm sure, like many others, we have lots of .rm files but no longer have the source .avi's ... it would be great to be able to convert .rm's (and .ra's for that matter) into swf's using flix.

I realize .rm is a lossy format, however since many people have lots of .rm files already developed, it would be nice to be able to convert these directly ..

any ideas on accomplishing this?

I'm replying this because my understanding of the things we want the next version of Flix to do are difficult to do. However, I do know of a way to convert Real Video to AVI (then you can bring it into Flix).

Do a search for TINRA (T.his I.sn't R.eal A.ny more. I have tried this program and it works very well.

Duir.

The Minister of No Crap

Re: big wildform fan here..

Originally posted by alohaha
    wish list: be able to import .rm files into flix?
    Its actually illegal to convert Real files and Real can sue big time if you do. When you install the program and agree to their terms, there is a clause in there that you agree not to convert anything that is in Real format.

Wildform could do it, but they are not allowed.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com/

Sorry! I can't even plead ignorance because I will be told that I too should have read the small print. All I can say is that it is a little unusual of a video format company to stipulate this. Had I known, I would not have posted about that program.

My apologies again.

Duir.
    [Edited by Duir on 03-16-2002 at 12:35 PM]

interesting...

Thanks,...

Does this apply even to the files that we developed ourselves? I can't see a company retaining any conversion rights over your own source files...

Eg I convert my video capture .avi to .rm , since it's my material it should be ok to conver the .rm I encoded to mpg or whatever.. is that not the case?

curious..

You certainly have a very thought-provoking point there. However, I suggest we drop this 'cause this thread is the Flix 2.5 Wishlist.

I am sure you'll get your question answered here: http://realforum.real.com/cgi-bin/re.../wwwthreads.pl
    I have another suggestion to add to the Flix 2.5 wishlist:

* A choice to convert or encode to greyscale! Would I be right in thinking this would create even smaller file-size SWF video? Great idea for streaming. Not everyone's got a good video effects editor such as AE.

Duir
    [Edited by Duir on 03-18-2002 at 12:36 PM]

my wish for Flix

I'm just researching Flix at this point, and from what I've been able to see this feature is not present yet:

Live video encoding (and better yet, with on the fly variable bit rate encoding) and when necessary frame dropping in order to keep up with the live feed. (RealNetworks live broadcasting does not keep up with their live feeds- slower systems gradually drift further and further back in time!)

If live video encoding were to be added to a new version of Flix, be sure to include some means of syncronized meta data- nothing fancy, just a text string or a single 32 bit value is all that is necessary to trigger events external to the video stream. (Once again, RealNetworks live broadcasting does not support sync within their event mechanism during live broadcasts!)

Windows Media does get both the live encoding and sync meta data correct, but the platforms are limited, the API evolves quite rapidly and IMHO is overly complicated.

If this were supported, you'd have them by their privates!
    -Blakito

Now its in the correct thread!

It would be cool to be able to put overlays onto the video files, perhaps already with control buttons (Player or just the buttons on a lyer in the vid window), or film scratch effects, ticker message, simple titles (this would perhaps be where SWFX would come into its own) Maybe a setting for Sepia or Grayscale, or to tint the image a particular colour, Pixelate video, so it goes all blocky, maybe have templates as frames.. like an oval window, or looking like a TV with scan lines and control buttons on the TV add interference and static noise?

Flash MX will allow the video to be treated like a bitmap in that it can be transformed using skew, rotate etc.. add that would be nice.

a choice of preloader designs and customisable ones built into Flix.

export effects on the audio, distortion and static, or things like robotic voice?

ability to choose a section of the video to use ..

A timeline would be nice!
    [Edited by Jonathan_B on 03-28-2002 at 12:06 PM]

I think we need to keep in Flix in perspective. It is a video encoding program that converts video format files to Flash. It is not a video editing program, nor should it try to be. Titles and effects are best done to the original video file in video editing programs such as Adobe After Effects and Cyberlink Power Director before converting to Flash in Flix. There is only one thing that Flix needs to improve, and that is the way the encoded Flash video is is exported. It does everything else perfectly well, in fact much better than all the other programs. Flix needs to know 'how' we are going to use the Flash videos, what we are going to do with them, and were we are going to put them. Right now, everyone wants to put them on web pages, embed them into HTML emails, or put them onto CDs. When we put them in those places, we do not know how to give the viewer control of the Flash video. Flix is not yet aware that we, the users, want to do these things. When Flix properly places itself in the shoes of the user, it will understand what we need. It either needs the Flix developers to actually try to use Flix videos as users are trying to use them, or for a real user to join the development team.

Duir.

Why?

Why do my posts keep being edited, just because I mention a rival product that has a few features that I think flix would benefit from? First time round my post was deleted. This time its been edited. I don't see what that really accomplishes? I suggested a few things like overlays for flix, and a timeline editor so that those who don't have the facililites to do these things can do them with flix. I also think it would be a time saver for those of us that do have the facilities but don't want to have to go to their colleagues in the video editing department and give them extra work, for a couple of simple additions.

Come on What happened to free speech?

I only mentioned a product that has its own forum elsewhere on flashkit.. competition is healthy for business..

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    We do try to think about how our users will use the video.
    That is why Flix comes with features such as win and mac projectors that can be used with CD, or local playback, HTML output to post your video on the web, email output to send rich media email, and loads of swf controls, such as links, load movie, preloaders, play controls, etc.
    We are trying to make it as easy as possible for people to encode and post video in the Flash format.
    We also offer features that are not available in any other software, such as our unique vector output.
    And we are hard at work on other new features that I think will be very popular.
    jb

Wish List for 2.5

How about a bitrate sniffer for Flix 2.5? This way, an end-user will be able to automatically watch the best quality video for their connection without having to initiate the video. Muy importante for us guys doing rich media advertising!

1) Flix needs some kind of sound tone editing and adjustment function. I encode to both 56k and 256k. All narrated videos encoded in the 56k template using the 8bit 11k setting are very hard to understand. A set of tone controls that could adjust the clarity of audio so that we could us this 8bit setting would be great. Right now I have to degradate my video to get clearer audio by switching to the 16bit audio setting. I've tried prepping my audio files many different ways and nothing works. (By the way I'm a long time musician and audio engineer.) I've encoded using other tools to 8bit mp3 audio and had the narrations come out clear, so I don't understand why it's not possible in Flix!

2) It would also be fabulous to be able to embed a list of cue points in a Flix encoded video. This way we could trigger captions and other flash components to appear outside the flash encoded window in sync with our videos. If used correctly, this would increase the video display area of our productions without adding very much to the file size. This would also be a good way to add SWFX productions to display in sync with a Flix encoded video. PLEASE? PLEASE? This would be a GREAT addition!!!!!

My Wishlist

My Wishlist

a) A basic player of course. Could have an input for a very small icon or photo or small gif: it would be a personal player; Could have as option unload (stable) and preload x% and play next video from a list,...to keep RAM use ;

b) Load at end not one but a list of files: 2 or 3 ;

c) Insert a photo jpg or gif at start, as option;

d) Detailed web help for vectorizing : with a catalogue of many downloadable examples of several kinds and the effects of each setting with results, so we can more quickly find (hours not weeks) the settings for our own application.

And if soon, it would be nice !!

Fernando