A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] FLASH 6 Player - SLOWER ANIMATION (part 2)

ok -- for all of you that are reading this post, you may want to check out my original post, "Flash 6 Player - SLOWER ANIMATION" if you haven't yet...

Basically, what I am seeing (at least on my PC) is that in any browser that uses the Flash 6 ActiveX control (Internet Explorer and Opera), animation is slower than it was with the Flash 5 player. (By about 5 or 6 fps -- very noticeable) This is NOT the case in Netscape or Mozilla, which does not use the ActiveX control, but the plugin .dll instead.

What I have done to (hopefully) illustrate what I am seeing is to create an swf that has a modified version of Colin Moock's FPS Speedometer in it. That way you can see what the average framerate of the movie is for every 10 frames that go by.

My movie is set to run at 30fps. Here's what I see on my system:

In the FLASH 5 STANDALONE PLAYER:
    The swf runs at an avg of 30.03 fps.

In the FLASH 6 STANDALONE PLAYER:
    The swf runs at an avg of 30.03 fps.

In Internet Explorer (Flash6 ActiveX control installed):
    The movie runs at an average of 25-26 fps. SLOW!!!

In Netscape or Mozilla (Flash6 Plugin installed):
    The movie runs at an avg of 30.03 fps.

Obviously, what I am concerned about is that third test, where I am viewing the swf in Internet Explorer (version 6, by the way -- I use Windows XP Pro). The fps won't go beyond 26 or 27 fps (max), which, when viewing a long, fast animation, makes the lack of speed quite noticeable.

Can you guys please give this a go for yourselves and tell me whether I am crazy or not?? Please try the same tests and keep a close eye on that FPS meter.

Let me know what you find. I am especially curious about what people with PCs, Windows XP, and IE 6 will see, since that's what I have.

The swf can be downloaded here:

http://www.kneeandshoulder.md/test.zip

Please let me know what you find! Thanks!

you are so right!

my machine:
    athlon xp 1600 processor
    win xp professional
    ie 6.0.2
    512 ddr ram
    80 gig hd
    matrox 450 duel head

my resutls:
    in standalone flash 6 player: 30.3/4
    in internet explorer 6: 24.6

what's up with that?

That sucks!

M$ had to mess it up as usual..

Anyways: the mac v6 player seems a bit faster! weee! and that is NEEDED!

I still can't understand how the additions to the player could impact fps so heavily, and how MM let it go out like this.
    I was having enough trouble optimising framerates without this sort of thing, what is flash at the end of the day but a glorified web animation tool ?
    I can provide text in html and video in a number of formats.

I know some MM folks roam these boards from time to time, Like to make a comment on this issue before it gets out of control ?

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY HOPE THAT MACROMEDIA GETS ON THIS AND FIXES THE DAYUM THING BECAUSE IT JUST ISN'T RIGHT. They went backwards... the flash 4 plugin was as slow. then came flash 5 which was much faster. Why are they going to slow down the damn thing? I'm upset about that. Those heart pumping eye catching effects just aren't the same when you slow it down.

Yup

p4
    1gig Ram

24.9 fps in IE 6
    29.9 in standalone

iz a problem

how can we contact macromedia??

I wish Macromedia would read this posting and try the swf for themeselves in IE. That way, they can see how slow it is.

Can any of you moderators / experts drop a line to MM to read this thread and try that swf?

The Flash 6 player should be faster than 5, not slower!

My machine:

P4 1.7
    256 DDR

The results:

IE 5 - 25 fps
    Flash 6 Standalone Player - 30 fps

hum.. i must say that i noticed that problem with the flash5 player before... - i didnt check the framerate but the standalone has been always noticeably faster then the browser-player...

sorry folks

No way. Flash 5 in any browser was always just as fast for me as the standalone.

One thing you should note about the slowdown with the Flash 6 player is that you don't see this in Netscape or Mozilla. It is an ActiveX problem. The flash6 activeX control is either not optimized well enough or is doing something strange that causes it to eat CPU time, and as a result, not be able to achieve the proper fps.

There should be NO slowdown. This is ridiculous. We're talking about people with 1ghz+ computers seeing this. I have a 1.3ghz chip and other people that posted have even faster CPUs with lots of memory and good video cards.

This should not happen. Macromedia? Are you listening?

[Edited by jgordon on 03-13-2002 at 05:33 PM]

jgordon have you contacted anybody over at macromedia or filled out the bug form for flash 6 player???

I dont want this thread to go away untill i see a reply from one of these macromedia guys roaming around flashkit forums. I'm pretty sure they have seen this... but why aren't they giving a reply to it?

If you could find me a link to a MM support page that doesn't require a serial number and I'll do it in a second. I tried to submit a bug report but I couldn't find a page for the Flash 6 player.

Originally posted by boobahex
    jgordon have you contacted anybody over at macromedia or filled out the bug form for flash 6 player???

Goooood question. Maybe they are scrambling to understand why swfs move so slowly in IE 6. We can only hope.

Originally posted by criptonite
    I dont want this thread to go away untill i see a reply from one of these macromedia guys roaming around flashkit forums. I'm pretty sure they have seen this... but why aren't they giving a reply to it?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jgordon
    [B]If you could find me a link to a MM support page that doesn't require a serial number and I'll do it in a second. I tried to submit a bug report but I couldn't find a page for the Flash 6 player.

here you go jgordon, feedback form for Flash 6 player...

http://www.macromedia.com/bin/fp6betafeedback.cgi

DONE. Let's hope Macromedia is still reading these bug reports and is serious about doing something about this awful problem.

By the way -- to anyone checking out this thread, I'd love to see more postings of people that are experiencing the same problem, so if Macromedia decides to read this, they will see that a lot of people are having this issue.

Thanks!

hehehehehe

you know i bet micro$oft had something to do with this some how considering they have ruled out java in xp making it were you have to download a virtual machine which is veryslow at running java. I bet MM couldnt meet expectations for micro$soft so they got pissed and mad it run slower. hehehehehe thats my stupid opinion

Hey guys,

ok i don't need to verify the FPS to know it's way way slower and i've got a P2 366Mhz. Call that a dino i don't care, and don't get me wrong it is an issue for me but scripted animation doesn't seem to suffer at all by the new player.

Check the banner at macromedia, the first animation, the light blue wipe, is sloooooooooow but then, just start messing with their new scroll bar and it's extra fluid.

speaking of banners, anyone know the URL for the MM countdown timer for the FMX release?

30.296 standalone player
    30.200 IE 6, Flash Player 5 (Dell Machine PIII 800)
    29.908 Netscape, Flash Player 5 (Same Machine)
    24.904 IE 6, Flash Player 6 (Same Config different Machine)

???? Looks like a serious bug. Havnt tested on Netscape with flash player 6

sid

i bet active x sucks so bad that the boys over on MM would like to cry.. .

strange - i noticed that with my slow machine (k62-500)
    but if you guys say this problem is that big with fast machines it sounds really serious...

lets hope!