A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What tutorials do you want for MX...

Hello all,
    Now that hopefully everyone has atleast a trial version(damn servers) I am wondering what types of tutorials you are interested in. I am currently putting one together on customizing the new built in UI components, and would just like to know what else every one is interested in with MX?
    Please feel free to share your opinions/first impressions of MX as well.

Thanks,
    James

P.S. Before I get much further in writing my tutorial is anyone interested in customizing the UI components (scroll bar, combo box, etc...)?

How to build own components would be great. I really don't see behind it right now. The component codes are really hard to follow for me right now, but hey it's the first day, maybe I'm just to overfilled with the new features right now.

Fredi

That would be a cool tutorial.
    Who wants to just go with the norm (what they give you)? Not me...that would be too easy.

Keith

Tutorial on ScrollPan UI Component

I would like a tutorial on the ScrollPane UI Components. If possible. Thank you.

Fredi: Your demo crashes my browser

Fredi,
    I have literally hundreds of fonts.

Your demo crashes my browser, making it impossible to read thorugh the forum!!!

Take it down, man.

Re: Fredi: Your demo crashes my browser

Originally posted by jossifresco
    Fredi,
    I have literally hundreds of fonts.

Your demo crashes my browser, making it impossible to read thorugh the forum!!!

Take it down, man.
    I've put the no font version up till I added a max fonts handler. Sorry, maybe we should report it to MM. Hope the problem only ocures when the list is in the textfield and not the big array causes the problem.

Fredi

So, it's back up with a limitation of 256 fonts (and sortet).

And anyway, if you don't hit the enter button (all versions), no list will be generated. Hope that helps.

Fredi

Red face Shared Libraries

Jarlaxil,

I would love to learn how the new Shared libraries work.

Eric

Smile

Well I'm glad to see that the component modifying has generated some interest. Do to the fact that I too am new to MX the first couple will probably be based just off of customizing the overall look and feel of the UI components.
    This is explained in the flash help but the help is not always as easy to understand as when you see something in action. I should hopefully have a tutorial on customizing the scroll bar component out sometime within a week. Would do it tonight but I am working 8am-10pm this week to put together a new condensed A+ certification curriculum. For any that can't wait you can look in the flash MX help on customizing UI skins. this is very nice. When you use a UI component a copy is placed in your library and you can customize the one in the library without affecting the original.

On the subject of shared libraries a couple of things. You were able to share libraries in flash 5. You had to play with it and open a library for your movie then open another movie. when you could then have the libraries for both onscreen and click and drag between them. This caused issues sometimes. The new shared library is supposed to have none of the faults of the old one and so you do not need this work around. the new one allows you to store often used components in the shared library to be used in any of your projects. Anything you use from the shared library will be imported to the library for the current project. Also as far as I can tell with out having much hands on time yet is that if you make changes to something in the shared library you can have that change propagate to all the instances in the libraries of your other projects.

Ok. Back to work now for me. Thanks for listening to me ramble.

Thanks,
    James

Originally posted by Subway
    How to build own components would be great. I really don't see behind it right now. The component codes are really hard to follow for me right now, but hey it's the first day, maybe I'm just to overfilled with the new features right now.

Fredi
    Creating Components in Macromedia Flash MX
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...reating_comps/

the first of many resources on creating components.

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com

Re: Tutorial on ScrollPan UI Component

Originally posted by nicstokes
    I would like a tutorial on the ScrollPane UI Components. If possible. Thank you.
    http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/logged_in/

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com

Beyond the Sea

how to create sharedObjects

i can't find any info on these little beasties besides what Flashguru posted way back...

I would like a tutorial on how to attach a movieclip from a shared library, please.

here is a simple example i just put together that shows how to use the DraggablePane component with the Progress Bar component.

http://www.speakeasy.org/~mesh/flash/car/

you can download the FLA which is commented (although the comments have a lot of typos).

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com

how's about a salsa tutorial?
    nachos for everyone!

hehe

tutorial for dropdown component

How can you use the dropdown menu as a navigational item to move to specifed frames in the main movie?
    I thought:

gotoAndPlay(pulldownmenu1.getSelectedIndex());

where the index just happens to match the frames I want.

It justs sits there like this though..

Any ideas?

How about a ....

How about a tutorial about bulidng a flash chat

Good Tutorial on XML with Flash MX.