A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do i make a scroll bar!?

please help! tutorial is loosing me!

i have writing that is to big for the box so i want to make a scroll but how?

FK's Super Loquacious Randomite ad_mtk2's Avatar

i got Flash 5

i got Flash 5

FK's Super Loquacious Randomite ad_mtk2's Avatar
    IT STILL WORKS IN FLASH 5

not with me m8

i need a really good step by step guide as in flash 5 as i am very new too it

Help please

I'm right along with him...i can't find a decent flash 5 scroll bar tutorial anywhere...the one you just posted isn't specific enough. Do you have to make separate frames and type that text into different frames or what? step by step is what we need...a lot of these tutorials skip over something thinking everyone knows what its talking about but newbies like myself have no idea when it jumps around "asuming i know"

DIDNT KNOW IT WAS SO EASY! ONLY READ FIRST BIT THEN CLUED ON TO IT!!! WICKED!!!

I JUST MADE SEPERATE SEENS WITH SIMPLE ACTIONS ELLING THE BUTTONS TO GO WHERE! JUST LIKE A NEW SCENE BUT EFFECTIVE
    !!!

THANKS HELPED ME!! YES THAT ONE U POSTED WASNT SPECIFIC BUT I GOT THE JIF AND TOOK MY OWN ACTIONS AND IT WORKED! HAPPY NOW!!

Good stuff.

J

I JUST LEARNED IT

it was so eazy so i made my own tuturial at it
    watch it at
    http://www26.brinkster.com/husell/sc...0tuturial.html

Let me say this, thay are very bad examples of Flash scroll bars as they have to be created for each seperate section you want to scroll, I'm sure there are some better tutorials on FK as to how to make dynamic scrollbars that actually scroll rather than appear to scroll by using frames with text in different positions.

Allow me to explain how it would work better.

Assume you have a section of dynamic text, the text box is called "dynatext".

Now, create one button with an arrow on it. Duplicate it and put one pointing up and one pointing down at the side of your text box.

Now on the top button put the following action:
    Code:
    on (release){
    dynatext.scroll=dynatext.scroll +1
    }
    and on the bottom button put:
    Code:
    on (release){
    dynatext.scroll=dynatext.scroll -1
    }

What this does is uses the SCROLL property of the text box to scroll it up by an increment you choose, if it has reached the end it will automatically stop.

Now, to make a scroll bar to go with it is a bit more complicated so i will go away now and make a flash file to go with it and I will post it here for you to see.

Theres nothing really wrong with the way you have done it, it does the job but is inefficient and can increase file size.

defuzz

here is a really good scroll bar:
    http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/In...87/index.shtml

i use it. pretty easy to understand