A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Fonts?

Hi, Has anyone noticed that under Mac OS X u can basically throw ur sys 9 fonts you've been collecting for the last 10 years away? Is there some kind of conversion app that converts old fonts to work under X?

Thanks

I have yet to jump over to X, but from what I've read all your fonts are supported in addition to truetype under X. So this is news to me.

Thanks for the reply....I havent moved to x yet, waiting for Photoshop 7, I might have missread the article on the font problem........ will have another look
    Thanks

It would be pretty insane of apple to cut out its main market area (print and design) from upgrading to their newest OS....

Smile Nope... they work...

I've been using X since 10.0.4 (or was it 10.0.3?) and I can tell ya that ALL of those billions of old fonts work- if they're not corrupted, of course.

I just installled X, so how do i use the fonts in X? I read that i can make an alais of the folder they are in and drag it over to my X partition. Not that it matters, can't use it with any design apps yet. I'm disappointed, X is not what I expected. I have to work, and all my work is done under 9, and classic is garbage under X. I am disappointed, very disappointed.

hehe....I know how u feel, bit look at the bright side....in a couple of weeks time we'll be able to use X and only X
    (When PS 7 comes out) I havent installed X yet since I dont have a use for it yet, and dont want to startup X and work in Classic all the time anyway.

Suitcase 10.1

Yes you can alias the fonts folder to your OS X partition or copy them over... but I have to double check on that.

You could also use Exstensis Suitcase 10.1 to load/unload fonts from OS 9/X interchangeably- ATM, as far as I know, is not being ported to OS X. I find Classic for design work very stable but noticeably slower- and all the fonts load correctly. I have reason to stay in X, though, as Office v.X, AppleWorks 6.2, InDesign 2.0, Illustrator 10, Flash MX and (soon) Photoshop 7 are X-native and run quite fast and take full advantage of OS X's multi-tasking nature quite well. As far as the X-Native apps go I'm not dissappointed at all with X and whatever Quark work that I need to do I don't mind doing in Classic.

Well Photoshop 6.0.1 in Classic quits with no warning no notice, nothing, pooof gone. This happens when i open large files, and all my psds are large, so that pointless. I have 512mb of ram, so i have no idea whats the deal. I'm just pissed with X right now. Although I'm using it to type this now.

odd...

i've used PS6 in X with no problems so far... perhaps there was an update to resolve this because the problem sounds somewhat familiar- check versiontracker.com

I have to Photoshop 6.0.1 update, so I don't know what else to do but boot to 9 and finish my work. Any other apps that I should check out in X?

I share many of your experiences. Fonts are always the biggest issue for me. The bottom line is, we're sorta the guinea pigs in the transition to X. I don't mind so much, but I had major issues with ALL my classic apps. . .couldn't open/close/save in any of them. Totally shut me down for awhile. I had to do a clean install! But X is great stuff, and I think it was a good move. Just hang on till you have all your apps in X.

Ok, back to fonts. . .
    Yes, you can use all your 9 fonts in X. But managing it can be a beast. I highly recommend Extensis Suitcase 10. It works between 9 and X. You can see all your fonts nicely and preview them easily. ATM cannot do that, and someone said correctly that ATM is being phased out with X.

Now that I seemingly have some answers, I have a problem. Have any of you had problems opening fonts between v5 and MX .fla files? Mine aren't all mapping correctly. I realized it is just the multiple master fonts that aren't mapping.

I don't know how to link to another thread that I started earlier other than listing it like this:

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=282879

Anyhow, I explain the situation there.

to OS X Fonts folder...

Have you attempted copying the offending fonts to your OS X Fonts folder (assuming you're running MX in X)? Sounds like (perhaps) MX doesn't recognize MM Fonts via Suitcase...

I decided to get Suitcase and upgrade to Ill 10, and I'm starting to love X. I actually did a whole days work within X, although I need to boot in 9 to burn a damn CD. Suitcase is tight, but I am very impressed with Ill, and I'm ready to jump over to PS7. I actually was also able to do some work in PS6 in classic, it was a little slow, but it worked, and my first X design looks ok so far.
    [Edited by Urbansory on 03-21-2002 at 12:30 AM]

Smile understand totally - glad 2 meet u guys

I am just at the end of my tether with this mac as I am working on tight deadlines daily and i am alone in a pc environment working on a completely new system OS X.

This is a totally new mac which needs not to be updated from OS 9, but we have found that the access of fonts in Quark is limited incomparison with Illustrator 10 and Adobe Photoshop 6. The fonts new and old r recognised by adobe but quark will not access any OS X fonts on OS 9 which means I cannot add any new fonts to the library or system folder!

I am deeply puzzled!! Can some1 explain why? and how I may be able to get access to OS 9 fonts or convert to OS X?
    Also I have access to suitcase 10 but it keeps telling me to bin the system folder (which the mac won't allow me to do) I am really confused, i Will be grateful for any suggestions on this topic, cheers.

Ok, first of all DO NOT BIN YOUR SYSTEM FOLDER!!!!! No matter who tells you too (unless it's a Mac support guy) Trashing the system folder will not help at all!
    Other than that I cant help at all.....havent jumped to X yet

font types

I slapped all my OS 9 fonts in my OS X folder just fine so I'm not sure where you're running into trouble as far as syncing the folders goes. As far as font reading Adobe (as far as I remember) Photoshop, Illustrator read the Adobe PostScript fonts whereas QuarkXPress has easier access to TrueType fonts so the font selection will not be the same across all three programs unless you have the TrueType and PostScript suitcases of all fonts...

All my OS 9 system fonts automatically show up with a classic logo next to them. I did have to remove fonts from my X system because they were present in my 9 font folder. My 9 and X are on seperate partitions. I did notice that suitcae in X has no effect on fonts i classic. You have to activate them within suitcase in classic or ATM.

workin' in Classic...

Since Suitcase Classic doesn't run (at all) within OS X and your biggest problem seems to be font-related I might suggest working from within OS 9 and loading your OS X fonts with Classic Suitcase 10.

Actually, I am using Suitcase 10 (while native in OSX) and using it to activate my fonts in CLASSIC apps. This is working fine. (except for my MM fonts while in MX)

umaromc-
    I'd like to tell you I tried what you suggested, but I'm not sure which font folder to put them in. . .still haven't had a chance to troubleshoot any more. Thanks for the tip, though.