A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: trial version

I have downloaded the trial version of Flash MX. Is it because it is trial software that it won't let me import the AVIs it claims to let you do now? It always comes up with an error reading them, why?

What type of AVI file?
    Platform?
    How much memory do you have?

There are countless codec types an AVI file could use and they might be simply not installed on your machine.

Originally posted by migel
    What type of AVI file?
    Platform?
    How much memory do you have?

There are countless codec types an AVI file could use and they might be simply not installed on your machine.
    I'm using it on the machines at the studio office. I'm sure they got enough memory.. it's an animation studio. the files were made with Lightwave.. but any AVI should be able to be imported right?

Are those machines MacOS or PC? Keep in mind that the support for AVI on MacOS is VERY limited since it uses QuickTime.

An AVI file is not simply an AVI. It is a transport system for a video and sound track. Those can be encoded using different codecs. What kind of codec did LightWave use in your case when it created the AVI? Without this info it will not be easy to help you. The only thing I can perhaps suggest here is that you choose 'Uncompressed' when creating the AVI file using LightWave. This should be supported correctly by FlashMX.

Originally posted by migel

Are those machines MacOS or PC? Keep in mind that the support for AVI on MacOS is VERY limited since it uses QuickTime.

An AVI file is not simply an AVI. It is a transport system for a video and sound track. Those can be encoded using different codecs. What kind of codec did LightWave use in your case when it created the AVI? Without this info it will not be easy to help you. The only thing I can perhaps suggest here is that you choose 'Uncompressed' when creating the AVI file using LightWave. This should be supported correctly by FlashMX.
    The computers are PC windows based
    The AVIs are uncompressed already for use with Video Toaster so the files are pretty massive.. could that be the prob?

Originally posted by Rustbucket
    The computers are PC windows based
    The AVIs are uncompressed already for use with Video Toaster so the files are pretty massive.. could that be the prob? [/B]
    Only if they are larger than 1GB... What is the exact error message you get? Also try not to use 100% quality when importing. FlashMX tries to keep the complete video in memory. Maybe you are simply running out of memory.